Aulani/Hawaii Questions

Disney Wish

Earning My Ears
DH and I are heading to Aulani in just over two weeks, a bucket list trip. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I have read other first time posts but have a few additional questions. We are planning split stay: 4 nights Aulani, 2 nights Kauai, 2 nights Maui and back to Aulani for 3 nights.

Aulani
At WDW you have a Magic Band that gives you access to the parks, room, etc. and that is all you need. At Aulani you have to show DVC membership for wrist band each day. Where do you put items like your phone while at the pool? How do you charge meals to room?
Best way to venture into Waikiki for a day without a car?
Has anyone done the circle tour excursion? Would you recommend it? (torn between wanting to see it all and having relaxing vacay)

Kauai - staying in Lihue
Want to do air tour of island.
Any other suggestions?

Maui - staying in Ka’anapali
So lost with this leg. originally thought of Road to Hana tour but it’s a long day. Has anyone done the Half Day to Hana tour? Recommendations?

Thanks for your thoughts.

So lost with this leg. originally thought of Road to Hana tour but it’s a long day. Has anyone done the Half Day to Hana tour? Recommendations?

We stayed in Ka’anapali this summer and did not do the Road to Hana (my 5 year old gets car sick) but a couple other recommendations:

We did a snorkeling tour with Gemini Sailing which was great!
https://www.geminisailing.com/

Also recommend visiting Kapalua beach and renting snorkel gear (there’s a shack at the beach) and we saw 7 turtles in a few hours.

Also loved plantation house for breakfast before visiting Kapalua

DH and I are heading to Aulani in just over two weeks, a bucket list trip. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I have read other first time posts but have a few additional questions. We are planning split stay: 4 nights Aulani, 2 nights Kauai, 2 nights Maui and back to Aulani for 3 nights.

Aulani
At WDW you have a Magic Band that gives you access to the parks, room, etc. and that is all you need. At Aulani you have to show DVC membership for wrist band each day. Where do you put items like your phone while at the pool? How do you charge meals to room?
Has anyone done the circle tour excursion? Would you recommend it? (torn between wanting to see it all and having relaxing vacay)

Kauai - staying in Lihue
Want to do air tour of island.
Any other suggestions?

Last Sept/Oct we took our first trip to the Islands - thinking it might be our only, but after going... it's not. We did the Big Island & Maui, had so much fun we were back in July and went to Oahu and Kauai. We're even debating about a Thanksgiving trip to Kauai through Costco... but probably won't.

I will say seems like you're doing a lot of Island hoping, why go back to Aulani? I'd honestly suggest more time in Maui & Kauai as its going to be hard to see a lot with 2 days each. Hope you have time to just chill on the beach too.

For Kauai - we took the Na Pali Catamaran out of Princeville less time getting to Na Pali more time seeing things - great tour. Used the Shaka Guide on Kauai for the Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali Coast - great day, I'd say don't miss either. We also went ATVing and on the Kauai Float Tubing all four were great, last day we did the Kauai Rum Safari.

Maui we bailed on the Road to Hana, we'd been on the Big Island a few days before and had done a long day of driving from Kona to Hilo, then Volcano and back to Kona - we did go on the Maui Pineapple Tour but spent more time on the beaches and snorkeling.

Big reason for our Oahu time was to see the USS Arizona - fantastic day.

At WDW you have a Magic Band that gives you access to the parks, room, etc. and that is all you need. At Aulani you have to show DVC membership for wrist band each day.
You can get a non-DVC wristband with your room key. In my opinion, they're more comfortable than the DVC bands.

Where do you put items like your phone while at the pool?
In my backpack on my lounge chair. Nobody is going to rob you.

How do you charge meals to room?
Room key.

Waikiki is the worst part about Hawaii. There's so much to do and see around Oahu that I think it would be a huge waste to not rent a car and visit places other than the giant tourist trap that looks an awful lot like Miami.

If this is a "once in a lifetime" trip, I would err on the side of "see it all." You can relax any place, including places that are much closer and cheaper. Hawaii is the only place to experience Hawaii.

I go to Ko Olina every other year, so yeah not a once in a lifetime thing for us! Lived on Oahu for 3 years while DH was serving in the Marines.
Understand, when you island hop, you essentially lose a day. I’d see if you can minimize that, as 4 times to hop is a LOT.
Maui is HUGE, so 2 nights is literally nothing. I’ve stayed in KaPaula, Kaanapali and Wailea. Totally different areas and vibes. And pretty far from each other. Never done Hana, never will. Too long and I get motion sick.
If possible, I’d try to cut it down to 2 islands at most. Trust me, you will be back! We are on the East Coast and still go every other year (we own at the Marriott Ko Olina).

will say seems like you're doing a lot of Island hoping, why go back to Aulani? I'd honestly suggest more time in Maui & Kauai as its going to be hard to see a lot with 2 days each. Hope you have time to just chill on the beach too.
THIS-you lose a ton of time hopping islands. Maui is beautiful and has fantastic snorkeling. If you can swing it do the private Road to Hana tour with helicopter ride back-then you still have rest of day to explore Paia. Hawaii isn't a disney go-go-go vacation. Part of the love for Hawaii is the laid back chill style.
Waikiki is the worst part about Hawaii. There's so much to do and see around Oahu that I think it would be a huge waste to not rent a car and visit places other than the giant tourist trap that looks an awful lot like Miami.
Well to each their own. We loved Waikiki, the energy, the walkability, the beach, the food etc. We had a car and explored the whole island but Waikiki is more than "tourist trap" and telling first timers that is a bit condescending just because it's not YOUR cup of tea.

Well to each their own. We loved Waikiki, the energy, the walkability, the beach, the food etc. We had a car and explored the whole island but Waikiki is more than "tourist trap" and telling first timers that is a bit condescending just because it's not YOUR cup of tea.
Someone came asking for opinions so I shared mine. No need for your ****ty attitude.

Living on Oahu, yeah we used to go to Waikiki almost every weekend, mostly Sunday afternoons for brunch or to watch the sunset. I gotta agree, it isn’t for everyone. Now I’m in my 50’s and my take is, positive: you can walk everywhere. Negative for me, is that I like more quiet time so it’s a toss up. I’m an early to bed gal and love quiet. DH loves the Moana Surfrider (his favorite hotel) so loves that. It’s not for everyone for sure. Pros and cons. Either way, just know it is loud at night (depending on your room position), but you don‘t need a car to walk everywhere. Peace all!

Aulani
I used an insulated lunch bag with a luggage lock for my phone and a couple of items from my wallet.

I am a blue card DVC member but I never made an effort for the DVC wristband because my phone was locked up and I was too lazy to navigate to the digital card. I do not care about the wristbands and usually took them off at night rather than leave them on all week. Plus, the DVC bands were hard to rip off.

We stayed in Ka’anapali this summer and did not do the Road to Hana (my 5 year old gets car sick) but a couple other recommendations:

We did a snorkeling tour with Gemini Sailing which was great!
https://www.geminisailing.com/

Also recommend visiting Kapalua beach and renting snorkel gear (there’s a shack at the beach) and we saw 7 turtles in a few hours.

Also loved plantation house for breakfast before visiting Kapalua
Thank you for the tips. We plan on snorkeling and appreciate you sharing your experience.

I agree that Waikiki feels like Miami. I enjoyed visiting Royal Hawaiian Resort but couldn't wait to return to Aulani. When I am on vacation, I am usually disappointed after seeing most urban areas, and Waikiki was no different. With that said, if I am spending a week in Oahu, I am okay with going to Waikiki for a quick late afternoon/early visit for dinner at Marugame Udon, picking up cookies at Honolulu Cookie Company (I love these cookies, plus getting parking validation at International Marketplace), and visit Royal Hawaiian Resort. I always have a rental car, and I don't feel the drive from Aulani to Waikiki is cumbersome if you plan around the heavy traffic.

You can get a non-DVC wristband with your room key. In my opinion, they're more comfortable than the DVC bands.

In my backpack on my lounge chair. Nobody is going to rob you.

Room key.

If this is a "once in a lifetime" trip, I would err on the side of "see it all." You can relax any place, including places that are much closer and cheaper. Hawaii is the only place to experience Hawaii.
Thanks for writing about room key and beach lounger. Honestly, the trip is so close and I still can’t believe we are going. i want to see it all and still have time to sit by the ocean. we have decided to rent a car while Oahu - even if it is only for one day.

THIS-you lose a ton of time hopping islands. Maui is beautiful and has fantastic snorkeling. If you can swing it do the private Road to Hana tour with helicopter ride back-then you still have rest of day to explore Paia. Hawaii isn't a disney go-go-go vacation. Part of the love for Hawaii is the laid back chill style.

Thanks for your advice. originally the plan was to do a cruise of the islands so I felt if we didn’t venture off oahu we would miss out. So much to do and see - so little time!

I used an insulated lunch bag with a luggage lock for my phone and a couple of items from my wallet.

I am a blue card DVC member but I never made an effort for the DVC wristband because my phone was locked up and I was too lazy to navigate to the digital card. I do not care about the wristbands and usually took them off at night rather than leave them on all week. Plus, the DVC bands were hard to rip off.
Great idea re lunch bag. We do like to have cold water handy and a lunch bag could do double duty.

I agree that Waikiki feels like Miami. I enjoyed visiting Royal Hawaiian Resort but couldn't wait to return to Aulani. When I am on vacation, I am usually disappointed after seeing most urban areas, and Waikiki was no different. With that said, if I am spending a week in Oahu, I am okay with going to Waikiki for a quick late afternoon/early visit for dinner at Marugame Udon, picking up cookies at Honolulu Cookie Company (I love these cookies, plus getting parking validation at International Marketplace), and visit Royal Hawaiian Resort. I always have a rental car, and I don't feel the drive from Aulani to Waikiki is cumbersome if you plan around the heavy traffic.
Thanks for responding and the tips on visiting WaikikI. Honolulu Cookie Company sounds like a great stop!

To everyone - thanks for taking the time to respond. I am feeling more comfortable after reading everyone’s tips. Here’s hoping DH loves it as much as I know I will and we can venture back again. I remember when we used to treat every vacay to WDW like our last one. Then we got DVC shares 🤣

You might want to look at a sunrise Haleakala tour on Maui or perhaps the Iao Valley state park to replace the road to Hana.
I second snorkelling at Kapalua Bay beach, it’s a lovely section of Maui and usually not as windy as Wailea can get, so in my experience it had better water clarity.

On Kauai, we really enjoy kayaking and if you have any experience with them there are some amazing tours on both the ocean and the lush fertile rivers.

Calling another post condescending is itself condescending. We like Waikiki as well, but more as a fun day trip from Aulani. The perception that Waikiki is a tourist trap is hardly an uncommon opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter