Aulani Grocery list?

At the Hale Koa, they did have a little shop years ago (I recall being there with my son one night since we used to go down to Waikiki almost every Sunday to relax and have Mai Tais or swim) and I bought some baby food since I had forgotten to bring some, and they had some for him). Otherwise you can get milk and things at an ABC store within walking distance (they are reasonable too).

The Hale Koa does have a small exchange that has some food but its more like a class 6.....you can find small containers of milk. They also have a selection of souvineers.

Buffettgirl, is there any difference among the Pearl Harbor and Hickam commissaries? We weren't sure which commissary (and BX/NEX) we should hit up on arrival. We've got a food allergy kiddo, so more options is always a plus. ;)

Thank you, we definitely are! Not this mama's first choice (or any of my choices, for that matter!) to have him in the army, but it was his goal and desire, so I just have to be happy for him, proud of him, and just keep praying for him. I'm thankful we have some time with him home (including this trip, yay!) after graduation/commissioning before he takes off for more training and duty station.
CONGRATS to your son and for keeping us all safe! :thumbsup2We have a wonderful nephew who is a 2LT, officer program, soon to be 1st, only graduated from college, 2 years ago. ENJOY incredible Aulani, what a fabulous place to enjoy some time with your family.:banana: We got some items at the ABC store across the street, but imo they are expensive, but then again, so is all food in Hawaii. We were warned by the high price of food, but "kinda sticker shocked" even at a gallon of milk. Have a wonderful vaca and blessings for safety for your son.:littleangel:

CONGRATS to your son and for keeping us all safe! :thumbsup2We have a wonderful nephew who is a 2LT, officer program, soon to be 1st, only graduated from college, 2 years ago. ENJOY incredible Aulani, what a fabulous place to enjoy some time with your family.:banana: We got some items at the ABC store across the street, but imo they are expensive, but then again, so is all food in Hawaii. We were warned by the high price of food, but "kinda sticker shocked" even at a gallon of milk. Have a wonderful vaca and blessings for safety for your son.:littleangel:
Thank you so much!:goodvibes

Buffettgirl, is there any difference among the Pearl Harbor and Hickam commissaries? We weren't sure which commissary (and BX/NEX) we should hit up on arrival. We've got a food allergy kiddo, so more options is always a plus. ;)

Pearl Harbor commissary is much larger than Hickam, so much greater selection. NEX is also much larger than the BX at hickam, but both have plenty of basics, and 'special' foods are hard to come by in both places though PH Comm has quite a few gluten free items in their own section. There are also two Whole foods on the island if you need something more specialized.

Also, for the other poster, I didn't get inside Hale Koa today so wasn't able to check out the store situation.

Super helpful. Thanks! Our commissary here isn't anything to write home about to say the least, so we might actually have great luck at Pearl Harbor!

We also went to Safeway that is pretty close as well. The prices didn't seem to be too horrible, relatively speaking, but having a Safeway card will definitely help though! A bottle of rum was $45.00 without, $22.00 with!

At Pearl Harbor, we were all able to go into the NEX with our son but only he (only one with a CAC) could enter the commissary. Did the majority of our shopping at Costco, with a few things at Target and later Safeway/Wal-mart. Bring your own bags to Target so you don't have to buy one there.

The Costco in Hawaii was great - when we went there we specifically looked at more Hawainnesque food that we could enjoy while on vacation...why go on vacation to eat a pizza..??

So Costco to the rescue! They had plenty, and I mean plenty of great ready to heat Hawaiin meals to make. I got some pineapples from there as well.

We also got some liquer from Costco as well...made myself plenty of Blue Hawainn drinks as well as Blue Margaritas, and got some fancy Umbrellas from home to put in my drinks.

Never before had I had to go to a "grocery store" while on vacation - so I said if I'm going to do that I will ensure that I try to eat some more vacationish food!

ALSO - Monkeypod across the streets was to die for on happy hour.

Does anyone know if you have a gift card for Costco but not a membership, will they let you shop? We got a gift card for Xmas, but only have a Sam's membership. Thanks!

Does anyone know if you have a gift card for Costco but not a membership, will they let you shop? We got a gift card for Xmas, but only have a Sam's membership. Thanks!
Yes, we used to do this all the time for our sons, especially before they turned 18 and couldn't have a Costco membership card. In fact, our son used an empty Costco gift card for years (when he was a college student) to get into Costco for the sole purpose of buying a hot dog and soda with cash from the food court. We also used to buy Costco cash cards so our son could gas up at the Costco gas station before he turned 18. Unless something has changed, they will let you in with a gift card. Great idea.

Yes, we used to do this all the time for our sons, especially before they turned 18 and couldn't have a Costco membership card. In fact, our son used an empty Costco gift card for years (when he was a college student) to get into Costco for the sole purpose of buying a hot dog and soda with cash from the food court. We also used to buy Costco cash cards so our son could gas up at the Costco gas station before he turned 18. Unless something has changed, they will let you in with a gift card. Great idea.

Yay!! This makes me SO happy as I had no idea what to do with the gift cards!! Lol. I think my parents have a gift card as well :) thanks @sgrap !! I hope you write a trip report! I would love to hear about your trip!!

Yay!! This makes me SO happy as I had no idea what to do with the gift cards!! Lol. I think my parents have a gift card as well :) thanks @sgrap !! I hope you write a trip report! I would love to hear about your trip!!
I will try! It has been crazy since we got home . .. we arrived at our house just before midnight Wednesday night and early Thursday morning found a dead bat in one of my daughter's bedroom. We had seen one flying around upstairs the day before we flew out but could never find it to catch it (20 years in this house and we've never seen a single bat . . . URGH). This led to a call to the health department, 5 hours in the ER, and multiple rabies shots for all 5 of in the first 24 hours we were home. We go in for round 2 tomorrow, and then have 2 more rounds after that. All that to say . . . my post-vacation days have been batty . . . har har har.

I will try! It has been crazy since we got home . .. we arrived at our house just before midnight Wednesday night and early Thursday morning found a dead bat in one of my daughter's bedroom. We had seen one flying around upstairs the day before we flew out but could never find it to catch it (20 years in this house and we've never seen a single bat . . . URGH). This led to a call to the health department, 5 hours in the ER, and multiple rabies shots for all 5 of in the first 24 hours we were home. We go in for round 2 tomorrow, and then have 2 more rounds after that. All that to say . . . my post-vacation days have been batty . . . har har har.

Oh my goodness!!! That is no fun to come home to!! Wow!!

Oh my goodness!!! That is no fun to come home to!! Wow!!
It was like a bad dream . . . so tired and then sitting there in the ER . . . we hadn't eaten since lunch at we were there until 11 p.m. Thankfully I grabbed the bag I hadn't unpacked from the airplane ride yet on my dash out of the house and we had some granola bars in there.

It was like a bad dream . . . so tired and then sitting there in the ER . . . we hadn't eaten since lunch at we were there until 11 p.m. Thankfully I grabbed the bag I hadn't unpacked from the airplane ride yet on my dash out of the house and we had some granola bars in there.

Good thinking!! My kids would be so cranky not eating for that long. You guys are troopers!

Good thinking!! My kids would be so cranky not eating for that long. You guys are troopers!
I did the unthinkable on the way home . . . 11 p.m. drive thru at McDonald's. We were hoping for Panera but it was closed. At that time of night, I couldn't be too picky.

I did the unthinkable on the way home . . . 11 p.m. drive thru at McDonald's. We were hoping for Panera but it was closed. At that time of night, I couldn't be too picky.
Sometimes you do what you've got to do!! Totally don't blame you. You all must have been starving!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter