• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani excursion recommendations

Kingdome8

DIS Veteran
Hello. Going to Aulani next June. Just curious if anyone has any excursions they recommend? Could be a tour, hike whatever. I have 3 daughters 19, 15 and 11. Probably will do pearl harbor. But any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Are you wanting excursion for around Oahu or are you talking about what to do at Aulani? Around the Island, I recommend Waimea Falls, the horseback tour at Kualoa Ranch, the Banyan tree up at N Shore, along with walking around Haleiwa. If you like History, the Bishop's museum is nice. As far as Aulani, my daughter loved renting a stand up paddle board for the lagoon.

Gotta do a luau. We went to Toa Luau and loved it. It also includes admission to the botanic gardens with Waimea waterfall.

I rented snorkel gear for the week thinking we’d go multiple times. Only ended up snorkeling once but enjoyed it. We went in the shallow part of Shark’s Cove since one kid doesn’t really swim. Lots of additional places to snorkel if you have stronger swimmers.

My teens love zip lining at Climbworks as well as doing different hikes. If your kids are adventurous, Koko Head Stairs is pretty fun. Manoa Falls was a really beautiful (and rainy) hike. Cliff jumping at Waimea Bay was another must-do for the family, but the parking situation is insane. More basic hikes/walks: Makapu'u Point trail and Diamond Head. The Hoʻomaluhia Botanical Garden is also gorgeous!

Hello. Going to Aulani next June. Just curious if anyone has any excursions they recommend? Could be a tour, hike whatever. I have 3 daughters 19, 15 and 11. Probably will do pearl harbor. But any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
We’ll being a local I’ll set you up with some other spots (that are safe): Aloha Stadium Swap Meet every W, Sat, Sun. Go early (opens at 7/730 ish) to beat the sun. Don’t buy the shave ice from there because it’s crap! Aulani’s is much better!😂 Kailua Beach Park (any spot there is pristine). It can get crowded during summer and weekends so plan accordingly. Make sure it’s not jellyfish days since most roll in on that side. When done, check out the stores in Kailua town. Just Yelp what you wanna eat or see. Can’t go wrong out there! Don’t bother hitting up the Zoo or Aquarium because both are pretty sad, especially where you’re probably coming from. You’d get more of an experience doing the fish feeding at Aulani tbh. Waikiki is what it is. Probably nice to visit once, maybe spend half the day there (beach/shop/eat) but the best thing you can do there is just take pictures and show them off to friends. The beaches out there are packed to the brim depending what mo the you go but as a local, we leave those beaches to the tourists and go elsewhere. When heading back to Aulani, be sure to head home using Kapahulu Ave. and grab some malasadas for the ride home and for breakfast the next morning (best when eaten fresh). Hopefully there’s parking if not you’ll find some on the side roads. Be sure to take a picture holding the malasada in front of the big Leonard’s sign like everyone else. Regarding excursions and hikes, just be smart! Lots of tourists always pushing the limits and going off course only to see them being rescued by helicopter or whatever! Makapuu Lighthouse trail is safe and paved and packed on the weekends but what a view after the short 20 min. hike. You may wanna team that up with your Waikiki day, hike first of course! All the waterfall hikes again be smart! For Luau’s the best is Germaine’s Luau which is near the Target and Costco you drove past to get to Aulani. All the other ones are fine but the locals call this one “best” and not as pricey as the other ones I believe. Other than that, there’s a lot you can do and can’t go wrong with most. Feel free to ask. But my best excursion while at Aulani is just enjoying what Aulani has to offer! I can’t wait till we go back for NYE and this is coming off a 4th of July staycation! 😂

Thanks.
We’ll being a local I’ll set you up with some other spots (that are safe): Aloha Stadium Swap Meet every W, Sat, Sun. Go early (opens at 7/730 ish) to beat the sun. Don’t buy the shave ice from there because it’s crap! Aulani’s is much better!😂 Kailua Beach Park (any spot there is pristine). It can get crowded during summer and weekends so plan accordingly. Make sure it’s not jellyfish days since most roll in on that side. When done, check out the stores in Kailua town. Just Yelp what you wanna eat or see. Can’t go wrong out there! Don’t bother hitting up the Zoo or Aquarium because both are pretty sad, especially where you’re probably coming from. You’d get more of an experience doing the fish feeding at Aulani tbh. Waikiki is what it is. Probably nice to visit once, maybe spend half the day there (beach/shop/eat) but the best thing you can do there is just take pictures and show them off to friends. The beaches out there are packed to the brim depending what season you go but as a local, we leave those beaches to the tourists and go elsewhere. When heading back to Aulani, be sure to head home using Kapahulu Ave. and grab some malasadas for the ride home and for breakfast the next morning (best when eaten fresh). Hopefully there’s parking if not you’ll find some on the side roads. Be sure to take a picture holding the malasada in front of the big Leonard’s sign like everyone else. Regarding excursions and hikes, just be smart! Lots of tourists always pushing the limits and going off course only to see them being rescued by helicopter or whatever! Makapuu Lighthouse trail is safe and paved and packed on the weekends but what a view after the short 20 min. hike. You may wanna team that up with your Waikiki day, hike first of course! All the waterfall hikes again be smart! For Luau’s the best is Germaine’s Luau which is near the Target and Costco you drove past to get to Aulani. All the other ones are fine but the locals call this one “best” and not as pricey as the other ones I believe. Other than that, there’s a lot you can do and can’t go wrong with most. Feel free to ask. But my best excursion while at Aulani is just enjoying what Aulani has to offer! I can’t wait till we go back for NYE and this is coming off a 4th of July staycation! 😂
Top Shave Ice spots (my recommendations): Shimazu Store, Matsumotos, Baldwins, Aulani, Waiola. Don’t mess with flavors, just do Rainbow!

Last edited:

We’ll bring a local I’ll set you up with some other spots (that are safe): Aloha Stadium Swap Meet every W, Sat, Sun. Go early (opens at 7/730 ish) to beat the sun. Don’t buy the shave ice from there because it’s crap! Aulani’s is much better!😂 Kailua Beach Park (any spot there is pristine). It can get crowded during summer and weekends so plan accordingly. Make sure it’s not jellyfish days since most roll in on that side. When done, check out the stores in Kailua town. Just Yelp what you wanna eat or see. Can’t go wrong out there! Don’t bother hitting up the Zoo or Aquarium because both are pretty sad, especially where you’re probably coming from. You’d get more of an experience doing the fish feeding at Aulani tbh. Waikiki is what it is. Probably nice to visit once, maybe spend half the day there (beach/shop/eat) but the best thing you can do there is just take pictures and show them off to friends. The beaches out there are packed to the brim depending what mo the you go but as a local, we leave those beaches to the tourists and go elsewhere. When heading back to Aulani, be sure to head home using Kapahulu Ave. and grab some malasadas for the ride home and for breakfast the next morning (best when eaten fresh). Hopefully there’s parking if not you’ll find some on the side roads. Be sure to take a picture holding the malasada in front of the big Leonard’s sign like everyone else. Regarding excursions and hikes, just be smart! Lots of tourists always pushing the limits and going off course only to see them being rescued by helicopter or whatever! Makapuu Lighthouse trail is safe and paved and packed on the weekends but what a view after the short 20 min. hike. You may wanna team that up with your Waikiki day, hike first of course! All the waterfall hikes again be smart! For Luau’s the best is Germaine’s Luau which is near the Target and Costco you drove past to get to Aulani. All the other ones are fine but the locals call this one “best” and not as pricey as the other ones I believe. Other than that, there’s a lot you can do and can’t go wrong with most. Feel free to ask. But my best excursion while at Aulani is just enjoying what Aulani has to offer! I can’t wait till we go back for NYE and this is coming off a 4th of July staycation! 😂
Top Shave Ice spots (my recommendations): Shimazu Store, Matsumotos, Baldwins, Aulani, Waiola. Don’t mess with flavors, just do Rainbow!
Thank you. Great Info. This is what I’m looking for. Lol. Thanks again.

Thank you. Great Info. This is what I’m looking for. Lol. Thanks again.
My pleasure! So much more to do all depending on what you’re looking for! Hawaii is basically beaches, hikes, food, scenery, people.
Best beaches- Kailua, Makaha, Waimanalo (in that order more or less). North shore, you’ll get the crowds but there are a few good spots up there.
Food- Hawaiian, Plate Lunch BBQ, whichever else. Look elsewhere for Italian, Mexican. Usually all Asian food has some great spots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter