• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani ~ DVC questions from a non-owner

DisSarahK

Missing Mickey...
Sadly, we are not DVC members. With that said, we are planning on going to Aulani at the end of March/beginning of April and already have a regular room booked at the resort. However, with the cost of parking plus the cost of eating out in Hawaii, I'm starting to wonder if the additional cost of renting a DVC 1 bedroom unit might be worthwhile.

Can you tell me what benefits there are to staying DVC at Aulani? So far all I can figure out is free movie rental and no charge for parking--are there other benefits and do those benefits apply if you aren't an owner but are staying in a DVC unit? I'm starting to think that perhaps the benefits only apply if you are staying on points and not if you are paying the traditional way.

Also, I'm guessing I am too late to rent points from an owner so we are looking at paying the (rather astronomical) rack rate from the hotel. I'm not sure if that impacts any answers--but it definitely means I need to make sure I get some bang for my buck!

Thank you for your help...and maybe someday we'll join the ranks of DVC owners.

Good questions, and it sounds like you've pretty much got your facts straight already. FWIW, I was in the same situation about a year ago. Had a regular room booked, weren't DVC owners, and looked at the various options.

We ended up paying the "exorbitant" rack rate for a 2BR villa (not that high really for what it was, but that was your word) and loved it so much we ended buying into the DVC while we were there. We didn't have a rental car so weren't paying for parking anyway, but I'm pretty sure that even if you rent points that you'll have to pay--the free parking is only for DVC owners. The movie rentals, if I remember right, are free to everyone staying at the resort.

As for food costs, yes, Hawaii is expensive. But then so is pretty much any desirable vacation spot. Consider how much time you really want to spend cooking in your villa just to save a few bucks; you're on vacation, after all. For my family, it was the extra space that made the 2BR villa worthwhile--we didn't cook a single meal. We're going back in a week and plan to enjoy a few breakfasts and dinners in the villa. There are so many good places to eat nearby, though, that we plan to enjoy not having to cook, wash dishes, etc. YMMV, of course...

but I'm pretty sure that even if you rent points that you'll have to pay--the free parking is only for DVC owners. The movie rentals, if I remember right, are free to everyone staying at the resort.

Actually the DVC perk of no parking charge is for any reservation made with DVC points, so even if you are just renting points you are considered a guest of the DVC member who made the reservation, and thus get the free parking.

Plus, if you get right on it, like now, and check with Davids DVC Point Rental Company you may not be too late to rent points for end of March... it might be worth a shot.... depending on your dates its still showing some openings. But might not be for long...

Thank you both for the info.

Pam, I didn't think I had a shot! Guess I better go take a look...

There is also a rental point section here on disboards in the DVC section. Haven't checked your dates or Aulani though.

For the free DVD rental, I think you need to be a member, the shop would check the KTTW card (are they also called this at Aulani) to see if it said "Member" on it.

DisSarahK... I see your signature says you are now going to Aulani the end of March!!!... Just wondering if you were you actually able to rent points? or did you just decide to go the regular reservation route?

I am so curious to see if the rental route worked out for you.:goodvibes

DisSarahK... I see your signature says you are now going to Aulani the end of March!!!... Just wondering if you were you actually able to rent points? or did you just decide to go the regular reservation route?

I am so curious to see if the rental route worked out for you.:goodvibes

Oh we've had the regular room reserved since just before I posted the question (although I do need to add a day onto the end of the reservation). I had started questioning the financial side of things though, so I posted my questions.

We're not going to try and rent points. Our kiddos can't sleep in the same bed (we are a family of 4) and everything I'm reading says the studios are too small to put an air mattress down. That puts us into a 1 bedroom--and since I really don't want to go to Hawaii and look at a parking structure...well, the amount we would spend on the 1 bedroom is more than the regular hotel (but we would get more space).

So that is my long story! (I still wish we were DVC though...)

Now I'm thinking about staying somewhere else for night one because our flight arrives after 7pm and I'd like to increase our chances for an upgrade (no guarantees, I know!) Ahh, choices--and choices we are so blessed to be in a position to be making. I'm so excited to go to Hawaii for the first time!

We are doing a studio for the first 2 nights before we move to a 1 bedroom. Our teen boys do not share a sleeper, so we are doing the twin air mattress on the floor (will pick one up at Target on our way there). There is enough room... but it will be tight... and we will definitely want to lean the airmattress up against a wall and put the sleeper sofa away during the day.
Come to think of it, while we are there I should take some pics so people can see how it can be done.

I'm sure the pictures would be appreciated. I keep reading that there isn't room unless you put the mattress in the hallway...and then that person would get stepped on during the nighttime bathroom trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter