• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani direct with incentives vs subsidized?

JaxLee

Earning My Ears
Good afternoon and happy holidays. Our family just came back from our second aulani trip and loved it (again). We are current BLT resale owners (white card).

contemplating 300 pt direct purchase through Disney (149/pt) to match use year and get blue card vs. searching out/purchasing a subsidized aulani contract in same general point value (prob 135-145/pt) understanding it will be different use year likely and continue with white card.

suggestions? How much do you think having direct purchase/future resort access/blue card access is really worth? (And possible Future resale value implications)
Thanks, Lee

...they just had a owners sale on Aulani Direct making it $133 I think for 300pt, so you have to push your guide to at least give you that price, I have to think the price on the next "incentive/sale" is going to be flat or more attractive since more time has passed.

...they just had a owners sale on Aulani Direct making it $133 I think for 300pt, so you have to push your guide to at least give you that price, I have to think the price on the next "incentive/sale" is going to be flat or more attractive since more time has passed.
Thank you. Unfortunately that wonderful incentive ended 12/15 I believe. I pushed a bit when I talked to Disney but they said no wiggle room for old incentives🙁. 149/pt now

Yes, the incentive ended sadly.......

But to answer your question, its not just about this resort, but direct points are good for future resorts and booking at RIV - don't forget that aspect.

I managed to bag 300 points at $133pp.

If purchased with a good rewards credit card (chase sapphire reserve codes DVC timeshare as travel with 3x points = ~4.5% cash back), you can get another ~$2000 ($6.6/point) cash back. Maybe small in the grand scheme of things but helped us pull the trigger on Aulani direct. For resale, I haven't come across anyone accepting credit card payments without added fees.

Resale subsidized is fairly hard to find, especially and the point amount you are looking for. I would say if there is one available that meets your needs it’s a better deal cash wise. The flexibility to book RIV and future resorts is why we bought AUL a few weeks ago, but it was at the $133 a point.

We own several Aulani resale contracts and previously bought in just for the minimum number of direct points (75 at the time) until recently when we jumped on the $133/pt deal to add more direct. IMO, the right way to think about it is:
  • Option 1 - Direct: 300 points for $149/pt = $44,700
  • Option 2 - Resale: 352 points for $127/pt = $44,700
  • Option 3 - Resale: 300 points for $127/pt = $38,100
(*Note that you could probably get a better deal than $127 since you'd be buying a relatively large contract)

So the question is just whether the extra 52 points/year (~2,100 points over the life of the contract) or $6,600 in savings are worth it to you to deal with the downsides of resale (takes a couple months to buy, limited inventory, can't stay at Riviera / Disneyland Tower / future resorts, no discounts for shops / annual passes / dining, no access to member events if they ever come back). With the current incentives, the difference between direct and resale is closer for Aulani than most other resorts, so you could argue both are good options.

For me, I would take the extra 52 points/year, but it's personal preference. Another option would be to buy 150 Aulani points direct (current minimum for a blue card) and then look for a 150-point Aulani resale contract. I wouldn't buy a different use year. In my experience, DVC Resale Market usually has contracts available in the Use Year you want...and if they don't, then they typically will if you give it a few weeks.

Several good options....Aulani is a total deal and an amazing resort IMO. Good luck!

The “worth” of the blue card is the member incentives. If you are annual pass people there are discounts for that. But if you plan on using points at Aulani, the subsidized dues contract is a significantly better deal in the long run. It’s about $2.10 cheaper per point in dues this year for the subsidized. I think you would have to do the math, but with current direct pricing, if you’re getting say 300 points direct vs 300 resale, keep in mind that is a $600 savings this year and likely every year after that (if not more).

While the upfront cost savings isn't too big, it's the on-going yearly MF dues that would make me look for subsidized dues Aulani contract instead of direct. I can't tell you how many times I smile when I go to pay my dues yearly knowing that Disney is subsidizing me, having own two Aulani subsidized dues contract totaling 300 points.

And a big question is, do you really need 300 points, or are you just looking to buy that many points direct because that's where the "best" deal is?

Great3

Last edited:
Our family just came back from our second aulani trip and loved it (again). We are current BLT resale owners (white card).

contemplating 300 pt direct purchase
Have you visited any other areas in Hawaii yet? There are a LOT of very nice timeshares on all of the islands. Most of them are less expensive to buy and to own vs. Aulani.

After having visited all four of the "major" islands, I will admit that Oahu is not my favorite. I think I prefer the Big Island, while my partner would be happier on Kauai. But, even if that's the island you want, Hilton has some great resorts in Waikiki, and Marriott is right next door to Aulani.

I think this comes down to whether you like visiting Hawaii, or like visiting Aulani. If the latter, definitely buy Aulani---and if you are buying to use at Aulani, I'd think that a subsidized contract (if you can find one) is the way to go. But I'd at least try a few other areas before making a mid-five-figure purchase.

Have you visited any other areas in Hawaii yet? There are a LOT of very nice timeshares on all of the islands. Most of them are less expensive to buy and to own vs. Aulani.

After having visited all four of the "major" islands, I will admit that Oahu is not my favorite. I think I prefer the Big Island, while my partner would be happier on Kauai. But, even if that's the island you want, Hilton has some great resorts in Waikiki, and Marriott is right next door to Aulani.

I think this comes down to whether you like visiting Hawaii, or like visiting Aulani. If the latter, definitely buy Aulani---and if you are buying to use at Aulani, I'd think that a subsidized contract (if you can find one) is the way to go. But I'd at least try a few other areas before making a mid-five-figure purchase.

Thanks for the excellent advice! I love Hawaii (would retire there one day if I could) and wife loves all things Disney/Aulani.

So points at Aulani represents kind of a compromise for us. I'd love to actually invest in real estate or a fractional ownership there but that can be prohibitively expensive, fraught with complications/maintanance nightmares, and just don't think there's much traction from the family for such an investment.
Aulani points kind of establishes that we make Hawaii/Oahu a regular part of our lives for the next 20-40 years. We plan on using the points at Aulani with our kids through high school/college and then moving forward they can share with their families later down the line (if such a time comes about) or just go together.
My wife has been to most of the islands but likes Oahu the most (Maui's super high prices for everything took away some of the fun for her) and the other islands I think I'd like more than her (she likes being able to spend some days in Waikiki).

I think I'm leaning toward the subsidized contract options as well. The long term annual savings with inflation can be significant. We are annual pass/disney visa members which is how we get discounts. I think big lure of the "blue card" is what if Disney opens some great properties we can't use points for

I think big lure of the "blue card" is what if Disney opens some great properties we can't use points for
If they build something you can't imagine not visiting, you can always rent out your (subsidized!) Aulani points, using the proceeds to rent a stay at that hypothetical resort. Spending an extra $600 a year (and growing) on those points on the off chance that this happens seems pricey.

If purchased with a good rewards credit card (chase sapphire reserve codes DVC timeshare as travel with 3x points = ~4.5% cash back), you can get another ~$2000 ($6.6/point) cash back. Maybe small in the grand scheme of things but helped us pull the trigger on Aulani direct. For resale, I haven't come across anyone accepting credit card payments without added fees.

Glad I didn't read this before 12/15. That's the kind of irrational argument that would have gotten me owning a resort I never plan to go to, haha!

We were lucky to snag a subsidized Aulani contract at the end of 2020 for $100/point, after a bit of back and forth bidding with another buyer. The contract was for 270 points-although we were looking for a lower point contract, we are absolutely glad we have enough points to use every year without having to bank/borrow.

We purchased a few direct VGC contracts in 2010, so we weren't concerned with obtaining the blue card benefits with these Aulani points. We were looking for the overall savings from the subsidized dues throughout the life of the contract.

Many on this forum, as well as myself, agree that vacation patterns and interests change as the family grows. It may be worthwhile to have some direct DVC points for the flexibility that it brings as your vacations may change in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter