Aulani, Concern Over Non Guests Using Facilities!

jerseygal

DIS Veteran
Read a few reviews over the last year about guests at Aulani seeing NON GUESTS using Lazy River and Chairs at Aulani!:furious::furious: Guests and Members pay $$$$ should have EXCLUSIVE USE rather than people trying to get something for Nothing!

I can tell you this...When we are there if we witness this, I will be the FIRST to report it! NOT RIGHT! We are paying too much $$$$ to go there...

Anyone else witness NON GUESTS using Aulani facilities???:eek:

I thought this has been remedied. Guess we'll see from other responses.

I read somewhere that Disney allows local day guests for a fee.

:earsboy: Bill

:stir::mad::mad:Can't imagine that to be the case!

If that be the case, I am not surprised that some during "peak" season complain about CROWDS! :scared1::scared1:

I am ADAMANT about not allowing OUTSIDE GUESTS to use any resort facilities! I'm paying BIG BUCKS! SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE!

If that be the case, I will BE SURE to express my opinion IN WRITING to DVC and Aulani management BOTH!

:stir::mad::mad:Can't imagine that to be the case!

If that be the case, I am not surprised that some during "peak" season complain about CROWDS! :scared1::scared1:

I am ADAMANT about not allowing OUTSIDE GUESTS to use any resort facilities! I'm paying BIG BUCKS! SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE!

If that be the case, I will BE SURE to express my opinion IN WRITING to DVC and Aulani management BOTH!

They offer a standing 25% discount to locals, here is what I read about day passes.
http://dvcnews.com/forum/showthread.php?13110-Aulani-trip-report

They offer a standing 25% discount to locals, here is what I read about day passes.
http://dvcnews.com/forum/showthread.php?13110-Aulani-trip-report

I'll say while it;s annoying if a handful of people sneak in, I've got much bigger issues in the world to worry about and I am an Aulani owner. I didn't notice any major issues of non-wristbanded people at the pool our last visit.

However not according to his... but this is Disney what happens onsite doesn't always reflect what is said on websites.

http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/faq/resort-information-faq/

Q: Can I purchase a day pass for Aulani?
A:
Sorry, Aulani does not offer a day pass. Most amenities—including the pools, beach equipment and activities—are exclusive to overnight Guests staying at Aulani.

Day Guests are welcome to enjoy the dining, shopping and spa experiences offered at Aulani.

Parking Validation for Day Guests
The following parking fees apply for day Guests visiting Aulani:

Valet parking for day Guests is $35 per day
Self-parking for day Guests is $10 per hour—or a maximum of $35 per day
Enjoy complimentary self-parking or valet parking at Aulani for up to 4 hours when you spend $35 or more at the following venues:

‘AMA‘AMA – Contemporary Island Cooking
Makahiki – The Bounty of the Islands
The ‘Ōlelo Room, valid for purchases made between 5:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
Off the Hook, valid for purchases made between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
Laniwai – A Disney Spa (validation available with the purchase of treatments only—does not include spa merchandise)
To have your parking validated, please bring your parking ticket and purchase receipt to ‘AMA‘AMA, Makahiki or Laniwai – A Disney Spa.

Note: Parking validation is not available with merchandise purchases or at other Aulani dining venues.

For what its worth, my advice is to relax and enjoy your time at Aulani. If you go to Aulani looking for something to get upset about, then you'll probably find something to get upset about.

Aulani does not offer day passes to its facilities. However, day visitors are allowed to eat at the restaurants, visit the gift shops, and take tours of the DVC villas. Thus, its possible you'll see some people walking around that aren't wearing the colorful wrist bands.

I've been to Aulani twice and was there just this past Christmas and every single day we saw people and/or locals without wristbands walking around the resort and using the pools and yes it was very annoying. There is also a Marriot next door to Aulani that shares the lagoon and those people would often come and use Aulani's beach chairs since they were better. On one occasion I was sitting on the beach and there were two people sitting in chairs they brought from home right in front of the water drinking beer out of a cooler and smoking cigarettes. Obviously I was NOT happy and complained and was told that the lagoon is public and there was nothing they could do! Just try to enjoy yourself and not let those things bother you, I mean just remember... You'll be in Hawaii!

Trust me, I am NOT going to Aulani "looking for a problem"...VERY FAR
from the truth. I am a HAPPY, GRATEFUL person feeling BLESSED that I am able to go and enjoy this beautiful resort with my family.:goodvibes

POINT IS as a DVC member, I am using A LOT of points for this resort! With that being said, I pay annual maintenance fees for properties that I expect to have a certain standard which has certain RULES WHICH are expected to be followed.

Stormalong Bay is an example in my opinion of good thinking... FENCED for a reason! That is a Beautiful pool that many non Disney guests would want to use. If it were not fenced, there would be many who ABUSE and want to FREE LOAD on paying guests!

Yes, I will ABSOLUTELY ENJOY MY AULANI VACATION! :thumbsup2:cool1:

Trust me, I am NOT going to Aulani "looking for a problem"...VERY FAR
from the truth. I am a HAPPY, GRATEFUL person feeling BLESSED that I am able to go and enjoy this beautiful resort with my family.:goodvibes

POINT IS as a DVC member, I am using A LOT of points for this resort! With that being said, I pay annual maintenance fees for properties that I expect to have a certain standard which has certain RULES WHICH are expected to be followed.

Stormalong Bay is an example in my opinion of good thinking... FENCED for a reason! That is a Beautiful pool that many non Disney guests would want to use. If it were not fenced, there would be many who ABUSE and want to FREE LOAD on paying guests!

Yes, I will ABSOLUTELY ENJOY MY AULANI VACATION! :thumbsup2:cool1:

I suggest contacting member services about your valid complains/concerns but I would avoid the use of multiple capitalized words and keep it professional to be taken seriously.

But as mentioned before, don't sweat the small stuff.

I've been to Aulani twice and was there just this past Christmas and every single day we saw people and/or locals without wristbands walking around the resort and using the pools and yes it was very annoying. There is also a Marriot next door to Aulani that shares the lagoon and those people would often come and use Aulani's beach chairs since they were better. On one occasion I was sitting on the beach and there were two people sitting in chairs they brought from home right in front of the water drinking beer out of a cooler and smoking cigarettes. Obviously I was NOT happy and complained and was told that the lagoon is public and there was nothing they could do! Just try to enjoy yourself and not let those things bother you, I mean just remember... You'll be in Hawaii!

All of the beaches in Hawaii are public. That's why it's not a huge deal in Waikiki to stay at a hotel that's a block or 2 off the beach and then just walk over to any beach.

We saw a lot of locals at the Sheraton Ka'anapali (on Maui) the last time we stayed there a few years ago. It's only a few minutes walk from Lahaina and has a great beach with off-shore snorkeling so it was pretty popular. I believe it IS another reason to be extra cautious when leaving your belongings unattended at the pool & beach in Hawaii. Somebody took some cash from our bag at that Sheraton while we were over by the beach taking pictures of their nightly torch lighting & cliff diving ceremony which occurs at sunset. They could have just as easily stolen our credit card too but thankfully they only took the cash. When we reported the theft their security team sounded like it was a pretty common occurance and basically blamed it on the locals who "pass through" the resort. I'm assuming at Aulani we can just charge everything to the room while we're there which would eliminate the need to bring any cash or credit cards to the pool but I might actually invest in a PacSafe protector bag this time to lock onto our lounge chairs or something. I have a rather high-end DSLR that I wouldn't want to disappear while I take a dip in the pool or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Backpack-Protector-Silver-Size/dp/B000FGVFP8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1399579456&sr=8-19&keywords=pacsafe

Been to Aulani four times since 2012. I have seen people sit on the sun lounges down near the lagoon that were not Aulani guests as well as others try to use the pool HOWEVER the number would be less then 10 in all that time. The staff are very very very proactive at approaching non-guests and bouncing them from facilities.

But there is a steady stream of people visiting the resort for either meals or just looking - they are allowed, just like the public is allowed at the lagoon. All beaches are public property in Oahu.

Have not seen anyone in lazy river without a band. I was even woken up while floating in the lazy river for a band check.
Seems like the staff are actively enforcing band policy. Maybe because I look like a local.
This past week has been pretty slow. Able to find an unoccupied chair at anytime slow. Slow like no one in the infinity edge jacuzzi but myself at sunset. One afternoon at the new pool in front of Ulu Cafe we were the only people using it. I will tell everyone that this has been the most relaxing time I have stayed at Aulani in the 20 plus visits. We usually come on holidays or school break times.

My concern originated about non paying guests using swimming facilities and chairs that resort guests have paid for. It is obvious that beaches are public property and can be enjoyed by all.
Glad to hear that Aulani lifeguards are diligent about checking wristbands so that the resort does not become overcrowded in the pools and lazy river to protect the enjoyment of the paying guests. :)

As a source of information for my concern, there was a recent review on Trip Advisor stating that nonguests were using the Aulani pools, lazyriver, etc.:scratchin:confused3

My concern originated about non paying guests using swimming facilities and chairs that resort guests have paid for. It is obvious that beaches are public property and can be enjoyed by all.
Glad to hear that Aulani lifeguards are diligent about checking wristbands so that the resort does not become overcrowded in the pools and lazy river to protect the enjoyment of the paying guests. :)

As a source of information for my concern, there was a recent review on Trip Advisor stating that nonguests were using the Aulani pools, lazyriver, etc.:scratchin:confused3

I would say that if you happen to see a non wristbanded person using the pools or deck chairs be sure to report it to a nearby Cast Member.

When I was there both in Aug of 2012 and then this past December I like to think I would have noticed folks using the amenities without one... but I honestly did not. I did however experience CM's speaking to folks getting settled in deck chairs, reminding them to pick up a wristband as they must have them on the pool deck.... so that did give me some comfort that they were monitoring the situation to ensure that non guests were not taking up any deck chairs during a very busy time of year.

The CM's at Aulani do their very best to monitor the guests without wristbands. It is never to be assumed that just because someone is without one that they are not a guest of the hotel. All that can be done is to politely remind them to get a wristband. If they provide a room card showing they are a guest of the resort, it's not a substitution for the wristband but it does let the CM know they are legit. There are so many things going on that the guests of the resort probably think they understand and don't. that being said, if you see someone/a bunch of people without wristbands who draw suspicion, just say something to a CM and let them handle it. If they don't, speak with management.

PS: No such thing as a day pass for the pool area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter