• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani and Japan in 1 trip?

Seltzer76

Smiling's my Favorite!
Hi all! My family was supposed to fly to Aulani last week from NJ and we got caught up in the United Airlines/Newark flight debacle. We only had 6 nights booked at Aulani and by the time we could have gotten there we would have just had to fly home. There were no flights to anywhere from anywhere near us for days. We actually wound up driving to Disney World just to have some kind of vacation (and it was good, just not Hawaii).

So…our big trip for next year is meant to be Japan/Tokyo Disney around the same time. Was considering combining that trip with a stop at Aulani….which sounds good but not sure it’s practical at all. Has anyone ever done a trip like this, especially from the U.S. East coast? Would love any thought, tips, etc.

Thank you!

I'd say that's a good plan if you have the days to do it. From the east coast to Hawaii is about 10 hours flying time, plus connections. There are many flights from Hawaii to Tokyo, which is probably also 10 hours non-stop. So yes, you could do this and it may help adjust to the jet lag.

Thanks! With Tokyo + 13 hours and Hawaii -6 hours does that really help with jet lag? Feels like we would just go crazy adjusting all the time :). Maybe it’s better to stop in Hawaii on the way back vs the way there? Can’t seem to wrap my mind around it!

Thanks! With Tokyo + 13 hours and Hawaii -6 hours does that really help with jet lag? Feels like we would just go crazy adjusting all the time :). Maybe it’s better to stop in Hawaii on the way back vs the way there? Can’t seem to wrap my mind around it!
Basically Tokyo is 12 hours different from the east coast. So you are adjusting day/night body clock over a longer time period.

FWIW, when we when to TDL, we flew from MCO to LAX and overnighted there. The next day was non-stop to Tokyo. A very long flight. Yes we were jet lagged when we got there. Our return trip was from Shanghai non-stop to LAX and then from there to MCO. An even longer flight.

We live in California, but just returned from a trip to Japan, followed by a three day trip at Aulani.

Japan was wonderful but it was EXHAUSTING. I consider myself in good shape, but the walking, subway rides, 18,000 steps per day, and multiple flights of stairs wiped all of us out. It was so nice to sit on a lawn chair for three days and just relax. I would therefore suggest adding Hawaii to the end of your Japan trip.

It was nice to break up the flight. Tokyo Narita to Honolulu is only a 7 hour flight, which felt quick compared to the 11.5 hours going to Tokyo from Los Angeles. Plus, it helped us adjust to the time change(not dramatically but a bit). It seems that people don't stay up too late at Aulani so it forced us to go to bed around 10:00 and then wake up around 7:30 so we could find a lawn chair before the big rush. We were so worn out that sleeping wasn't a big problem.

The combination of the two, worked out so well that I will definitely do this again if I go back to Japan!
Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm happy to answer them:)

Thank you! This is all really helpful. Our Aug 2020 Aulani trip was also cancelled :( Our plan was always Hawaii trip first, then Japan the following year. I really don’t want to give up my dream of going to both Aulani and Japan with my teens before they graduate high school…time is running out! Considering how far away both places are I think combining may be the only/right option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter