Aulani 1-bedroom thoughts

Disney mac

Mouseketeer
We are taking our first trip to Aulani this summer. We are looking for a 1-bedroom and trying to understand the difference and thoughts on Ocean view vs. Pool view or other.
Any recommendations on requests to make to have the best experience? Any other tips we "have to know"?
Thank you all in advance and Merry Christmas.

For location of rooms, see the room maps on this page: aulani-villas-views-revised-07-22-2017.2907389. The ocean view rooms are close to 45% of all rooms (the total number of ocean view rooms and the fact that those cost the most points per night is why they are open at 7-months out much of the year) and the main distinction between ocean view rooms and pool view rooms, and other ocean view rooms and part of the island view rooms, is simply that the pool and island view rooms are on the lower floors while the ocean view rooms sit above those on the upper floors.

You mention the summer but not when. Be aware that early June through about July 7 is the second highest room demand time at Aulani, when even ocean view can be difficult to get at 7-months out; otherwise for the rest of July and August, ocean view is usually open, pool and island views can often be a problem but usually at least one or the other is open for time you want, and 1BRs have the higher chance of being open. Standard view rooms tend to fill year round before 7-months out, although sometimes chances for 1BRs.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the clarification on the room locations. We are going end of July-early August. We have 2 teenage boys who are on the taller side. I don’t think there’s any way they fit on a sofa bed so the 1 bedroom really is what we need I think. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the clarification on the room locations. We are going end of July-early August. We have 2 teenage boys who are on the taller side. I don’t think there’s any way they fit on a sofa bed so the 1 bedroom really is what we need I think. Thanks again!
Why would a 1 bedroom work if you don’t think your teenage boys will fit on a sofa bed? You would need to get a 2 bedroom.

We always ask for Ewe building, the 50 series of rooms, 9th floor or above. One bedroom ocean view. These rooms have the biggest balconies and great views. The sofa beds are not big. If you have two big boys you will either need to let them sleep in the bedroom while you take the sofa, get a two bedroom or get a studio with two queen beds. Personally I would never do a studio because I find them tight. Plus no kitchen or laundry. If you get a two bedroom ask for dedicated room. That way you get an extra half bath in the living area.

As others have said the summer is extremely busy and pricey. If you don’t have a room already you should start looking today. You may need to be flexible with timing.

The drop down bed and sofa will work for them individually. The Sofa bed together wouldn’t. We’ve been so happy at WDW that the Murphy beds and drop down beds have been updated in last few years as they’ve grown (my 13 year old is 6’2”). So I knew I needed a 1-bedroom. I just didn’t know if one type of one bedroom was worth the extra points. My wife is sold on wanting the ocean view and I wasn’t sure if I could save some points and get a pool or island view. Thank you all so much. We do have a reservation already and are excited for our first trip.

Last edited:
We always ask for Ewe building, the 50 series of rooms, 9th floor or above. One bedroom ocean view. These rooms have the biggest balconies and great views. The sofa beds are not big. If you have two big boys you will either need to let them sleep in the bedroom while you take the sofa, get a two bedroom or get a studio with two queen beds. Personally I would never do a studio because I find them tight. Plus no kitchen or laundry. If you get a two bedroom ask for dedicated room. That way you get an extra half bath in the living area.

As others have said the summer is extremely busy and pricey. If you don’t have a room already you should start looking today. You may need to be flexible with timing.
Thank you for the location tip. That’s something I was really looking for. Much appreciated all.
Merry Christmas to all.

I didn’t think Aulani had the Murphy beds but had the older sofa bed in the 1 bedroom. Not sure what the drop down bed is that you are referring to. We’ve not been to Aulani yet but don’t remember any refurbishment that changed the sofa bed to a Murphy bed in the 1 bedroom. I’ll be interested to hear from others who know.

I didn’t think Aulani had the Murphy beds but had the older sofa bed in the 1 bedroom. Not sure what the drop down bed is that you are referring to. We’ve not been to Aulani yet but don’t remember any refurbishment that changed the sofa bed to a Murphy bed in the 1 bedroom. I’ll be interested to hear from others who know.
The twin one under the TV. I think that’s what let’s it be a “5 person” unless I’m misinformed.

We requested a 1 bedroom unobstructed ocean view. Checked in, went to room and had a view of the parking lot. Was told it was an ocean view room. No way! Had to look at the window towards the right and could only see a snip of it. Even the CM handling our bags told us it was not ocean view. Took a while, but eventually they moved us. Didn't appreciate what they tried to do though. So, be careful.

We've been to Aulani seven times, and stayed in both studios and one bedrooms with differing views. It is nice having an ocean view, but you really spend so much time out of the room, enjoying the amenities. Thus, our philosophy is to book the lesser views and use the points savings to stay an extra night. There are so many beautiful, comfortable places to sit and enjoy views in common areas when you want to relax and enjoy the ocean.

We just came back from Aulani and we stayed in a one-bedroom, island garden view. This is villa 871.

I used this site to look for specific room location and it's very helpful.
https://***********.com/085-aulani-...view-part-2-of-4-in-our-aulani-review-series/

In my request, I put Ewa tower, highest floor available, room number ending in x71 or x77. We didn't get exactly what I wanted, but that's okay as it is only a request. We were still very happy with our villa as we could still see the ocean. I also don't consider any of the oceanview rooms/villas at Aulani are truly spectacular oceanview (you don't see enough of the ocean IMO), except the 3-bedroom grand villas so that's why we went with island garden view, to save some points and spend a couple extra nights instead. I know some people don't care for the view in the room at all, because they rather spend more time at the pool/beach so they just book standard view.

To be honest, even if you were to get one with a great view, I'm not sure how long you'll be able to sit out on the balcony to enjoy it. Even in December, it is still very hot for us and I couldn't sit out there for more than 5-10 mins and I needed to go back inside. That's just me, others may have different experience.

1000027561.jpg

Last edited:
So I think you'll need a 2-bedroom because the sofa bed will be pretty tight for the 2 of them, plus it's not very comfortable. The pulldown murphy under the TV won't fit them comfortably either, it's short.

We have a 1 bed Ocean in mid August (all I could get 7 months out, and we don’t do studios with 2 kids). My daughter who is only about 5’4” also loves sleeping on the under TV Murphy beds which can actually usually (unless these are short) take a 6 foot person fine. So my son takes the sofa bed, and daughter the under TV bed.
Where are the absolute best view rooms located for the 1 beds here? We have no preference for close to lobby or lifts, in fact we like to be far away as it’s quieter. Are the best rooms right on the ends? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We have a 1 bed Ocean in mid August (all I could get 7 months out, and we don’t do studios with 2 kids). My daughter who is only about 5’4” also loves sleeping on the under TV Murphy beds which can actually usually (unless these are short) take a 6 foot person fine. So my son takes the sofa bed, and daughter the under TV bed.
Where are the absolute best view rooms located for the 1 beds here? We have no preference for close to lobby or lifts, in fact we like to be far away as it’s quieter. Are the best rooms right on the ends? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The first thing to request for a good view is a high floor. There has been a lot of growth since Aulani opened so this is usually a good request. The next would be the tower. Waianae is more likely to have clear views of the ocean as there are no hotels in the way. Ewa gets the sunset views, but you can see the four seasons. Ewa is entirely DVC and Waianae is mixed, which is lucky for me as Ewa is my favourite.

On the inside of the horseshoe there are the lobby wings and the long wings. The lobby wings have the square balconies that are connected. The longer wings can have better views but have smaller, triangular balconies. I've only had the lobby wing once but loved the extra space to be outside with family. If you don't tend to sit outside then this probably isn't important.

There are also ocean views on the Ewa short wing, but I've never stayed there so can't offer an opinion.

For me, I always request 'high floor, Ewa tower', and have had great rooms so far.

We stayed last March in 2 different 1-BR units/views. I also have 2 teenage boys. My older son is the "smaller" one at 5'11" and super thin. He slept great on the under-TV pull down bed. My younger son is over 6', much broader, and flops like a fish when he sleeps so he got the sofa bed. In one unit it was very comfortable and in the other less so, but not enough to complain about.
The living room is a good layout, even with the beds made up, so we still felt like we had plenty of space. The kitchen and dining table help a lot in that area. They appreciated the second entrance to the bathroom off the kitchen area so they didn't have to come through our room.
As far as locations, we had an Island/Garden view for our first 5 nights and I requested a high floor. We were in Room 983 and had a gorgeous view of the ocean to our right and the luau to our left. We weren't as high as we could have been but it was a spectacular view and location. Our last 2 nights we had a Pool view - can't find the room number but we were on the third floor in the same building almost directly across the hall from where we were before (maybe 382?). It was also a great, if very different, view. We were directly across from the volcano which would have been awesome but it was covered in scaffolding, but looking left and right was amazing. However we could not see the ocean from there at all.

As far as tips...they would get their pool bands for the next day every evening so they didn't have to wait in the long lines. They had a great time in the pool, slides, and lazy river but did not love the beach and ocean at the resort. We spent a good chunk of time off-property exploring the island, surfing, and beach hopping. Let me know if you want any recommendations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter