August or October...

akalittleeva

Mouseketeer
Just looking for a little info...

We are starting to plan for our second trip to WDW and are debating between the end of August or mid-October, for various reasons. Our last trip was in November 2001 (shortly after 9/11 - the crowds seemed good - it was my first time, so I had nothing to compare it to). Anyway - what should we expect for crowds and weather during either of those times?

Hi there Welcome to the DIS :wave:

I have only been in Oct/Nov before and I would say the weather is pretty much the same. Take into consideration the Halloween and Food & Wine Festival crowds in October. To find out more check out the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies Board!

akalittleeva,
I have been 3 times to wdw in Nov and once in August.....November is much better weather than August....Aug. is very very hot ....mid 90's and up....Nov was 75 and up....I have read that October is in the 80's......You'll have fun no matter when you go I suppose.....Katter

I would imagine that in addition to the temperature(s) being a little more reasonable in October, the precipitation should be lighter and the crowds should be smaller because of school.

Also, October may give you a chance to do MNSSHP (Halloween celebration)!

I'll put in my vote for October,as August is way too hot!October should be much more pleasant,and you'll be there for the wonderful Food and Wine Festival,so will we!
Have fun!
Kirsten :cool1:

I would vote for Oct, The weather might be iffy, but it usually rains once a day in florida anyway. It is Hurricane season, so we made sure we have insurance for this trip. But it's also good to know WDW is a hurricane evacuation site in Florida.
If you pick Oct we will be there1 In fact our family is planning a lazy two weeks for this October during fall break for the kids. We nooked before Oct 5 so the rate is still in Value season, and the weather should still be warm enough to swim and use the water parks. We are looking forward to getting tickets to the MK halloween party. it costs extra, however we can go on a night and not use a park pass that day.

Hope you have a great time no matter when you go!
Charstar :cloud9:

Hi ,
I can only give info for August as we go for 2 weeks (Middle to late Aug.)
every year. The heat can be challenging at times so bring sunscreen and poncho's. Thunderstorms come and go quickly but being prepared makes it all the easier to have a good time. Hats are mandatory for little ones and big ones too. I prefer August to June or July as the parks are less crowded. However, I'm sure they are even less populated in October. (with the exception of the week before Halloween.) We rent a car as we find it more convenient but the WDW transportation is air conditioned and very nice.
Overall I enjoy going in August every year. Hurricane Charlie was a little inconvenient but we only lost one day and had a great week afterwards.
Good Luck and best wishes
DD01 :earboy2:

I was really afraid to go in August. I really was prepared.

I asked many people on this board who gave me really good advice.

Here is my advice:

Be prepared for the heat. Leave the park in the middle of the day and go to the resort to swim or nap.

You really have to move at a slower pace, at one point, I felt really faint. The rain showers are so regular that you can almost set your clock to them. However, they are fairly short.

The water parks get packed early in the day and reach capacity. However, because it is hot, it really is fun to be at the water parks.

If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't go again in August, but my wife can't get vacation anyother time. But if you are prepared, August is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. When I got really hot I just went inside an air conditioned shop. Animal Kingdom was the toughest park to walk throught because there weren't that many places to get cool. Because of that I had to leave early.

The heat is very intense and it does take away from the enjoyment a little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter