August Hours

irt9206

Earning My Ears
Just saw that the hours for Universal Studios for the week we go in August are 9a-7p. Last year it was 9a-9p. Does anyone know why there are shorter hours this year? TIA. We go the 19th-26th.

Probably only on the weekends if projected higher crowds. Be happy, it means they expect low crowds that time of year. And evening pool time is lovely. As enjoying a movie, mini golf or just relaxing.

When my kids were school aged, we always went the last 2 weeks of August, as our schools don’t start until after Labor Day.

Now that my kids are in their mid 20’s, it’s also great, as we can travel at the lowest times across the year.

And due to the one kid’s job, we are going the week before. Hoping low crowds, as makes so much nicer, as even rain chances usually in the late afternoon, get a lot done in the cooler mornings, and it’s so hot, the water rides are fun, and lots of pool time fun.

I just saw this update to the August hours, and am feeling so disappointed. We will be there Aug 20-23 or 24 (moving to WDW for Aug 24-30), when the hours are 9 am - 7 pm, so the parks will close before sunset. I love being in the parks after dark, and with teenagers they prefer to stay late rather than get up early. This is just one in a series of small disappointments with this trip that we've been planning since February. On their own, each little disappointment is not that big of a deal, but taken all together, this trip is turning out to be way different than I'd envisioned.

We’re going, be happy there’s such low crowds that time of year, as most local kids are back to school. The teenagers can enjoy evening pool time, or go into CityWalk, as opened until at least midnight that time of year.

While not dark at night time park time, you can get a lot done during the time the parks are open, and build in pool time and other. I, personally like to relax on my vacations. So early park closing times don’t bother me at all. I’m sorry you feel disappointed. Just means, go in Winter time, when standard time has sunset at an earlier time, if you want darkness while park is open.

When we were there in middle of January, earlier park closings week days. Didn’t bother us. We relaxed by the pool, saw a movie, played mini golf, and drove to Downtown Disney for a meal and shopping there one night. We went into Volcano Bay the last three hours they were open one week day, and was fun with so little crowds to be able to have little to no line, even for the coaster, was awesome.

For one, the only time I have ever seen both Disney and Universal change to more hours, was when the crowds were larger than expected. I for one, would much rather have a few hours less time for park fun, in exchange for much lower crowds and very short lines for rides, shows and food.

As a famous song said, be happy, don’t worry.

Best you can gauge crowds is to watch the pricing of an express pass. If it starts to get more expensive, you can assume they are thinking more crowded.

Last edited:
Well be going august 20-27 for first ever trip and upgrading to top level AP...partly for express pass after 4:00. So now that's only good for 3 hours per day? They need to move up that time.

Well be going august 20-27 for first ever trip and upgrading to top level AP...partly for express pass after 4:00. So now that's only good for 3 hours per day? They need to move up that time.
I have been to Universal in late August. I would not expect them to change the posted hours.

Late edit - if you are there during a slow time and for a week, maybe EP after 4 will not be needed?

Last edited:

Yikes! I had noted projected hours until 9 a while back and just checked hours to see that they’re closing at 7 when we’re there the week of the 21st. DH and DD9 are going for one day to do HP - hopefully they can see most of it… it’s a hefty price for a one day ticket when the park closes at 7 - eeeeek!

While it is true about lower crowds during the latter half of August, having been at Universal those days on several occasions these are certainly the shortest hours I've seen.

Me, I'm very disappointed. Going in part for HHN opening weekend we were planning to skip EE/rope drop in favour of later starts on our IOA park days (the Wednesday/Thursday prior to HHN), and utilize the Hagrid's "end of day" strategy. Closing at 7 rather than 9 will no doubt affect that approach significantly, with two fewer hours for crowds to thin before close.

And, as noted above, no seeing the park after sundown, and no nights ride on VC, Jurassic Park, or Bluto, which are some of our favourite things to do.

We are also disappointed. We arrive in a week, as we usually do, and we love Hagrids at night. That won't be an option this year. Another problem- at this time of year, there are usually storms in the 6pm hour. In the past, you could wait it out but the parks are closing at 7, so I guess not. That means no jumping on the Hagrids line at park close. We'll have to get outdoor rides done before 5pm to ensure they aren't closed due to weather.

Oh, geez, I forgot about the afternoon storms.

We've been to Disney or UO at the end of August almost 10 times now, and luckily there have only been a handful of days seriously affected by weather. But when they were, it was from about 4 to about 7. In fact, the one night ride we got on Hagrid's was during our last summer trip to UO (2021) when we waited out some nasty evening rain in the Discovery Center. It cleared up around 8PM, and then were able to walk on VC twice before getting in line just before 9 for Hagrid's. That ain't happening this time around, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter