August help

Tickla

Mouseketeer
I am considering a trip this August 15-21...however, all of my other trips have been the first week in December. Honestly, how much of a shock will the weather and crowds be compared to my other trips? I am also from Minnesota-it does get hot and humid too, but probably nothing compared to Florida. Just want to know others opinions before making my decision. Thanks!

We've done that week a few times and it is HOT. I remember walking out of AK one day feeling like I was dying. My mister fan had only warm water left, our frozen water bottles were all gone. I felt bette once we got into the A/C bus. Now I learned to get cups of ice at the QS counter- it helps me deal with the extreme heat. Another August I remember we had a late start so it was blazing hot when we walked out of the resort. I quickly had the family agree to do a pool day. Crowds at that time were not that bad. Last year we went the last week of June nearing July 4th and the crowds were much worse. Despite all the heat stiff if August was my only choice, I would still be eager to go!

HOT. HOT. Possibly rainy in the afternoons. I've done August trip quite a few times.

It's almost imperative to take a break from the parks in the afternoon and cool off in your room. The pool won't be much relief either.

We also ask for ice water at CS and kiosk places when needed. We don't carry it around...in fact we don't carry anything with us to the parks, because it's just an added burden and you won't want anything on your back or over your shoulder.

You'll likely want two changes of clothing each day, and change shoes when you change clothes.

Crowds will start to get thinner as the week goes by and may get to the level you know in early December, by the end, since many schools will have started by then.

Since we've been there many Augusts, it's obvious the weather and crowd levels have never stopped us. My DD and I just went last August (1st week).

I'm from MN too and we're booked almost those exact same dates...Aug 15th-22nd. We went last August around that time too and yes it was HOT (heat index was over 100) and humid, but we didn't think it was "that" bad. Of course, you talking with someone who loves heat and hates winter!! We made sure to always have water with us and afternoon breaks were a must. We would hit rope drop and leave after lunch, swim and then take a break in our room before heading back out around dinnertime to the parks.

This last year out of the 6 days we were in Disney it only rained one evening.

Thanks for the input! I am one who loves winter and hates the heat, but was trying to decide if I should tough it out in order to do the trip-it would be our last with our son as he graduates college next fall and will then be off to start his own life. We have never experienced summer in the south, so I am hesitant to go for it-I don't want it to ruin the way we think about Disney after he grew up going every other year in December. All the descriptions you have given help so much!

I live in NH and have been several times in August. Yes, it is hot, but honestly I didn't think it was all that much worse than the weather we were having at home. In fact, we're going back this August, but to US/IOA and SeaWorld.

We found that going early in the morning, breaking around 1 pm to have a swim, rest, lunch, etc. and then going back at night around 5 pm worked great for us.

Just make sure you drink lots of water. Also, certain rides are great for cooling off in (Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Living with the Land, Universe of Energy, American Adventure, etc.)

We have travelled to Orlando the last three Augusts, and its HOT. Hotter than hot. My boss went for the first time this past August, and he texted me a few days after he arrived and told me that he was certain he was being baked alive.

As northerners, I don't think the Florida heat and humidity is anything like ours. Its much more intense. Its MUCH more humid (yes, we get humidity....but nothing like they get).

You really need to be prepared. Long hair tied up or back, moisture-wicking tshirts, light bottoms, and LOTS of water. Mid-day breaks or some afternoon pool time will be essential if you don't enjoy heat. Even after dark can be stifling.....we mini golfed on evening this past year, and the heat was still so oppressive at 9 pm, I thought for sure one of us would have a stroke before the 18th hole.

That said, we have very much enjoyed our August trips (lol, obviously...we first gave it a go in 2012, then returned for 2013 and again for two weeks in 2014). Its a great time for waterparks, if that's something that appeals. And you will never enjoy pool time more :) .

As mentioned by a previous poster, some depends on what you are used to in summer where you live. We get some hot humid weather in the summer so it is basically like the worst we get, only it is pretty much guaranteed for every day. So maybe because of that we haven't found it to be as unbearable as others might.

Thanks for the input! I am one who loves winter and hates the heat, but was trying to decide if I should tough it out QUOTE]

Oh boy, that was me last Spring! Trying to decide if I could handle August. I HATE the heat!! And I don't mean I prefer it cooler, I mean I detest being warm/sweaty/hot and go out of my way to avoid being so. A couple months ago someone posted asking about August, saying her husband can't stand the heat - I wrote that once it's over 80 degrees, I don't go outside unless a loved one is screaming in pain or bleeding :thumbsup2

So all our Disney trips had been Oct/Nov/Jan/May through early 2014. May got warm but nothing like summer (I'd been to WDW during college in July-horrible!) Of course I relax my no sweating rule in Disney lol. Since older DS was starting Jr. High in Sept. we started debating an Aug. trip, knowing our days of pulling them out of school for a week were most likely over. We booked it - last week of Aug - and I started to worry ALOT that I would be miserable. I planned that trip with TS lunches instead of dinners so we'd be inside during the hottest time of day, also planned to go back to resort to swim just about every day. Bought Frogg Toggs, misting fans, and of course ponchos.

The trip was 100% different than those we've taken during cooler months, but no where NEAR as bad as I'd though it would be and I'm so glad we went! It was freakin HOT!!! Whether you love the heat or hate it you cannot argue it's nothing other than grotesquely hot and sticky. But all the tips people give here work as far as getting to the parks early and planning a relaxing mid-day meal in A/C. And drinking lots of water, although like some pp's we didn't carry it around with us. I didn't even want to wear clothes let alone carry crap! However I found that, after eating a TS lunch we'd be cooled off and then would be ok to stay in the parks a bit more, so some days we wouldn't leave until about 3. But then the boys would want to go back around 5, so it was kind of stupid. We could have handled staying there if we had spent those couple hrs. on indoor attractions rather than running back to resort, but knowing how I feel about heat I planned for what I thought would work best. Bottom line I was sweaty and sticky and the pictures from that trip aren't my best :rotfl2:, but I handled the heat MUCH better than anyone, my friends and family included, thought I would.

Also we only had rain twice while there (I know we got lucky!) and we were eating in restaurants both times. Never used misting fans b/c again, didn't want to carry them. And while I'd tried the Frog Togg at home and though it worked, nobody else liked the texture so those went out the window, too. But lots of people swear by them so its something to look in to. I say totally go for it! You won't know how you feel about a different time of year till you try ;)

I'm from Texas, so I'm used to very hot summer weather, but I would hesitate to do an August trip again. The combination of heat and humidity is a killer. It would be more bearable, I think, if at least part of the day was more temperate, but the humidity starts early in the morning, and the heat doesn't really break until late evening. You know it's bad when you're already sweating waiting for the parks to open at 8:30am. There was an afternoon that we left Epcot before lunch because it was just too hot to enjoy anything in World Showcase, and walking from Germany back to Beach Club is probably my least favorite Disney memory. Brutal.

Obviously, though, many people do survive and enjoy an August trip. If you do go then, make sure you don't underestimate how you'll need to plan around the heat. Being inside somewhere cool in the afternoon is key, and, like PP said, the pool isn't much help in the middle of the day. We only went swimming at night when the sun was down -- otherwise, it was just too hot.

We went the last week of August in 2014. It was really hot!! My DH and I said it felt like standing behind a NYC bus in 100 degree weather. The wind was actually hot! We took breaks everyday in the afternoon and went in the pool (which was warm to hot water)
Went back out for dinner and evenings.

We used frog togs, personal little fans, lots of water, and did indoor attractions while the sun was up. Still was brutal BUT the crowds were so worth it, it was dead!! Just be prepared with lots of changes of clothes, hair up, hat on to block the sun, lots of water and sunscreen and you will have a blast! Enjoy

Hello fellow little-canada inhabitant! I agree with all the previous advice and add that Disney is home to the "don't care what I look like as long as I'm having fun." For me, that means I'm wearing cargo shorts, and avoiding those adorable mickey ears in favor of having a ball cap shading my eyes, and carrying around water at all times. I generally go early September when the crowds are absolutely dead (You sure you can't dely the trip by a couple weeks?)

This was typical wait times for the weekdays the first week of september, at noon, mind you:

untitles.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Wow-I wish we could go in September! However, he will be enrolled in a program from May through the last week in July, then his last semester at his university starts August 24th.

Minnesota Family Here! We usually go the last week of August and yes it's hot. However; I sure didn't go to Florida from the frozen tundra of -50 wind chills to be cold! I'm not a sun lover or a fan of heat; however, I love this time of year in Disney.

We go at rope drop and don't leave until the park closes. Think of how much time you actually spend outside at Disney. Usually 10-15 minutes walking to an attraction and then you are in A/C for the wait time and ride. We find a nice shady spot if watching the parade. And to keep cool without carrying bulky items try the small slip on mister fans from Wal-Mart.

And the evenings sure can't be beat! Love coming back at 10pm or so and hitting the pool. So refreshing and you don't freeze when you get out of the water.

Have a positive mindset that you'll have a fabulous time. And remember that in a short time the snow will be flying in MN again :)

We will be visiting at the same time, but this is not our first August trip. We have school, work and sports commitments and August is often our only choice with the whole family (although mom and dad oftentimes book a short late fall trip!) ;).

If you plan for the weather, you will be fine. You'll find lots of good advice here. Even though the park hours are shorter, plan for a mid-day break of some kind. Even just a nice lunch at a monorail resort is a lovely cool break from the crowds. Be flexible with regards to your itinerary and have a Plan B. Eat lightly......salads, fruit, yogurt, sandwiches.......ice cream, of course! Take regular a/c breaks with visits to the indoor attractions. Try to get to the parks early and head out around noon when the heat is at its worst. Or do a pool day and hit the parks in the evening. You will see what works best for your group. You will have a great time!

Loved reading through this thread! I am also a northerner who has booked Disney from August 15-24 for my first ever summer trip (we always do March but we are sailing on a Royal Caribbean cruise with a large group this March instead). As a teacher, my options were to book for summer or wait until March 2016 to go, and I simply couldn't wait that long! I am not overly worried about myself...but my husband hates the kids. I have told him he is free to stay back at the resort as much as he likes while the kids and I brave it!

If it's when you can go, it's when you can go. :)

But August is certainly one of the worst months for weather in Central Florida. (July and September too)...whether it's the heat or the storms with lightning.

If you go, start out as early in the day as possible and get your must-dos done!

We go every year end of Aug.. to be honest it is hot and it can suck at times.

The only drawback ( things we cant do because of the heat) is outdoor seating for eating.. Example at AK, alot of QS have only outdoor seating,, forget that...

But MK, EP are parks where you can hop from AC to AC.. Most rides or attractions are indoors.. At Epcot you can spend alot of time indoors at Future world. walking over to world showcase at high noon in the sun, can be a challenge but drink alot.

The worst park for heat is Animal Kingdom,, seriously do an early morning...

HS is also hot alot of outdoor shows that can be a challenge.. My mom waited for hours in the ABC commisary in the AC as we walkd about.

We are late day tourers, so we go around 4pm until close... at night it helps... In extreme heat waves, just avoid the parks from noon to 4pm.. or plan this time in MK or EP...

In EP one can spend hours in living in the Land, Innovation east and west.

All indoors.

and pool time!!

OMG...I am officially unable to multi-task. I re-read my post (which I wrote while unpacking lunch bags and getting dinner ready) and realized that I said my husband hates the kids instead of he hates the HEAT! LOL.....he really does love our children....I hope!

It is CRAZY hot. The World Showcase feels like the seventh level of hell. I've done it before, but for some reason this past trip really bothered me. It just wore me out so fast. I assume it's because I'm getting old...which really stinks, because as a teacher, it is the ONLY time I can go when it isn't crazy packed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter