August 28, 2004 "LOST AT SEA" Cruise

We usually drive down and will also be staying at the Radisson on Friday. I like getting there a day ahead of time; it worked out great last time and it's so convienent. Last time it was pouring rain and we didn't see much of Port Canaveral.

I'm looking at excursions too. My family thinks I'm insane because it's still nine months away so I have stopped bugging them with questions. I'm looking at Chankabaub for Cozemel and maybe 7 mile beach for Grand Cayman. I wanted to go to the Turtle farm but then I read a depressing report from a conservationist about how the turtles spend their whole life in a concrete tank, and they can smell the ocean, and how it's a business and not an enviromental thing so now I'm depressed about the whole thing too. I was also excited about the dolphins but have also read things about the way they are treated and captivity and things and now I'm not quite sure.

hey hey hey another week is gone. Ginny I hope you have an awesome trip.

I am also going to buy my airfare in the next couple of weeks. I am set up with travelocity and they send me e-mails when airfare goes down.

everyone have a great week. I am house remodeling and it is no fun but it will be well worth it.

until next week.

princess:

tonia:

I feel your pain... I am sitting here right now splattered with "bleached almond" paint all over myself, relaxing a bit till I get up the energy to take a shower. :hyper:

A BIG WELCOME TO KAREL AND FAMILY. Looking forward to meeting you. Glad you will be onboard.

SEASPRAY - I'm so glad that you are considering the Tulum excursion. Will be nice to share it with some other Disers. I haven't booked flights yet. Anything under 200 is pretty good but I am holding out for something better at this point. I'm planning on flying in on Friday night but don't know where we will be staying.

EVERYONE ELSE - have a wonderful week!

sandygirl & SeaSpray,

We are also thinking of doing the ruins....we'll also have a seven year old and are undecided about leaving him on the ship.

It might be a once in a lifetime thing, for us, but I'm concerned that he might not last through it.

Do you think it's better to do it through Disney or on our own?

Jim

Originally posted by turtlekrawl
sandygirl & SeaSpray,

We are also thinking of doing the ruins....we'll also have a seven year old and are undecided about leaving him on the ship.

It might be a once in a lifetime thing, for us, but I'm concerned that he might not last through it.

Do you think it's better to do it through Disney or on our own?

Jim

Our DSs will be 16 and 13 when we cruise next summer. If they were much younger, unless they had a real desire to see the ruins, I would probably leave them on the ship. But that's just my own opinion. Why don't you show your son some pictures of the Tulum ruins and see if he's at all interested? Here's a web site with several great pictures of the ruins at Tulum:

http://externe.net/photos/ll2-mexico-tulum-mayan-ruins/aligned_with_the_stars

It is a long day. It's approximately an hour on a fast ferry from our ship over to the mainland, then another hour on a bus just to get to the ruin site. Then 2 hours or so at the ruins where there's also a small beach. Then another 2 hours to get back to the ship. I think if he's very interested and you think he'd tolerate the long time spent on getting there and back, then by all means take him along :)

I definitely recommend booking this excursion through Disney simply because it's such a long distance from the ship and if you book it on your own, and for some reason you don't make it back to the ship before it leaves port, they will not hold the ship for you. However, if you're on an excursion booked through the cruise line, they WILL hold the ship till the passengers are all back. Also, I've read many GREAT reviews from people who've done this excursion through Disney and they all highly recommend it.

WELCOME KAREL AND FAMILY!!!!!!!!!

Airfare is still way way to early for me to book. I fly Southwest, so I won't be booking for a loooong time yet. I usually pay $140 or $150 round trip, but with Southwest they won't be putting August out for sale till next year.

The ruins sound to hot and long for me. So its Mr. Sanchos and shopping for me.

I really want to do the tour of Grand Cayman, but I'll decide as it gets closer.

Talk to you all next week.

Joanna

did i hear shopping. that sounds good to me. the ruins sound great but it will be to much for my ds(6).

welcome Karel and family I also have a dd (11)

my family and i will be down the night before and we will be at the radisson.

everyone have a great week.

if you sit and watch your countdown, you can watch the seconds and minutes melting away? OK, so I'm a little weird tonight!

Visiting the Tulum Ruins is the reason I sailed the Western in Jan 2003. But we decided not to go then. I will not miss it this time if at all possible. If we go, DD will go with us. It is just too far and too long for us to leave her back on the ship. Just a personal opinion. She's used to a variety of settings and experiences. I figure if she has a hat for shade, sunscreen and plenty of water she should be able to hold up. And then there is the beach time, which she will love.

I agree with Seaspray on booking with Disney for the Tulum tour. Too many miles and too much time involved, anything could happen to delay your return to the ship. I feel more comfortable knowing that they are responsible for getting me back on time or waiting for me. IMHO

We didn't tender at Grand Cayman last time because of bad weather. Any suggestions on something nice to do there?

Hello everyone!

Travis and I just paid our deposit for the August 28th Western Magic Cruise! We're so excited about doing Back-to-Backs! Can't wait!

Jason

Jason & Travis:

Glad to see you are joining us.

I can't wait until I can on back to back cruises. Finances won't allow it now, but someday!

Lyn

Glad to hear you are joining us. Back-to-Backs. WOW! Are we your first or second leg of the trip? I will live vicariously through you for now, OK.

WELCOME Jason and Travis. Can we hide under your bed for the second leg of your trip.

Are you also going in May?

One day I'll be a Florida resident and do back to backs. When the kids are grown and its only DH and myself.

Welcome aboard and if you do newsletters, let us know.

Joanna

Lynr--

Glad to see that we'll be sailing together again too! It seems that a large number of the cruisers from our August 16th voyage are sailing on the August 21, 2004 sailing. I guess they'll envy us as they get off the ship and we get on! ::yes::

Sandygirl--

The August 28th sailing will be the first leg of our back-to-back cruise. We figure we'll need the three days at sea on the Eastern to recover from the Western! :teeth:

Mjasp--

Yes, we'll also be sailing on an Eastern in May. Kind of a graduation present to myself! We've booked all three cruises under the regular early booking rates. Hopefully, as the dates get closer, we'll be able to secure the Florida Resident Rates. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

I was very surprised to see that on DCL's website under specials they have "our" cruise listed for $899 per person. Not that cheap though, I guess thats for a cat. 12. When I checked our cabin category price it has gone up a few hundred dollars. SO where am I going with this LOL. Since its a sailing that is on their "specials" list I would assume the 8/28 sailing will get the Fl. resident rate in the future.

Joanna

Jason and Travis...Just saw a thread that some 2004 Florida rates came out today. Don't know if its for your cruises or not but worth it to Give DCL a call.

Joanna

Hi everyone!!! :wave2:

43 weeks to go! In another day or two we'll be in the "200-something days" mark :teeth:

Welcome to all the new August 28th cruisers!!! :boat:

I'm especially psyched right now because I just booked our airfare for the cruise, so it makes it seem more "official" to me. :goodvibes

We also made the decision to not fly home on debarkation day. We're going to stay at a WDW resort and fly home later in the afternoon on Sunday. So far we're leaning towards the Polynesian, but my DH also mentioned the Yacht Club and Wilderness Lodge. But we have plenty of time to decide on that.

We're happy that we finally completed the remodel of our family room this past week. We have relatives visiting from out of state for thanksgiving weekend, so we're now going to paint our livingroom and buy new livingroom furniture. It's pretty bare in there right now because we moved the furniture into the family room. We're also going to be putting in a new kitchen floor and new bathroom floor and fixtures. My DH is very handy, so we do all of the work ourselves, and it can be exhausting at times, but it's always well worth it in the end.

That's all from here! I hope you all are doing well, and hope you all had a good week. :sunny:

Originally posted by Mjasp
Jason and Travis...Just saw a thread that some 2004 Florida rates came out today. Don't know if its for your cruises or not but worth it to Give DCL a call.

Joanna

Thanks for the heads-up, Joanna!

We'll have to call and check out the new rates sometime this weekend.

Countdown!

I also booked our flights this past week. We are flying in the night before and since it is a holiday weekend I decided not to fly home until Mon (Labor Day). My DH is down to 1 weeks vacation a year from previously having 8 weeks. So I am taking full advantage of the long weekend tacked on to the end of our cruise! I'm not sure where we will stay but it will be in the World somewhere. We are DVC members at home at VWL. I love it there but am interested to see some of the other resorts. Is it the Yact Club that has the Stormalong Bay Pool? That sounds so cool.

Have a great week, fellow cruisers! Seaspray - do you rent your husband out? ;)

Good Afternoon all...Down to 43 weeks. And for those staying pre-night and coming in on the 27th we are under 300 days :Pinkbounc

Talk to you all next week

Joanna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter