August 2020 Reservations-still going?

We're concerned about this too. We have one tentative DS night on our itinerary. We're going to see how we feel about it at the time and decide from there, though I think we may skip. We also had a dinner reservation at the Boathouse (because they offer outdoor dining) but after reading so many negative reports about DS at night, I cancelled that and we're going to just do a lunch at DS instead. it stinks because the bars are so fun but we're hoping that midday will be less hectic and easier to just grab a table at Jock Lindsey's.
We went to the boathouse a couple years ago and weren't impressed honestly.

The Dramamine will be for me, not my daughter, lol. She is a coaster fiend and will ride over, and over, and over... She’s been on some big ones, including Wild Eagle at Dollywood. It was a happy day for me when she turned 7 and I could send her on RnR by herself! 😂
The Dramamine is for me too.

Just pulled the plug and canceled our August trip. :sad: Hoping we can still go as planned in January... if somehow things can get better by then.

Well I’m so bummed! I guess we won’t be going to Disney. Our state just announced a 14 day quarantine for those traveling from Florida. We won’t be able to do a 14 day quarantine.

Oy. This certainly makes things so appealing. Yesterday I was about 80% certain we were going on our early August trip. Today I’m back down to about 25% chance we go. I know we would take every precaution and quarantine on both ends... but the guilt over going is still very real! And the FOMO by not going (only because we are desperate for a sanity break) is also real.
If it makes you feel any better about your decision, I just got back and wish I had not gone. The wait times are way down, true but the parks just don't have the same happy atmosphere. And if you have COVID concerns, the whole time you can't help but worry. Now I am back and worried I'm going to come down with it. ALSO the heat with the mask is pretty miserable. I'm from Texas and used to hot but with the shorter hours it is hard to go early and then go back at night and it is way hotter in a mask. We honestly were ready to come home about three days into the trip. I wish I had waited... At lease a few more months to see if the numbers go down and possibly catch better weather. Both my daughter and I agreed we would take longer lines any day to have the old Disney back.

We leave next week, and we have continued to talk to and prep our kids for this. We will not force ourselves into situations that do not feel safe or rules are being neglected. We will turn around and go somewhere else. I already warned them that Disney Springs might be a no go (they want to go to the NBA store and they like T-Rex). I have not been encouraged by the reports coming out of there, but we will be there on a weeknight and the problems seem to be on the weekends, so I am not ruling it out completely. I just want them prepped mentally that we may show up and not stay if things aren't safe.

My DH watches one of the vloggers who has been since opening. He and his other v-logger friends are consistently walking on rides and they are nowhere near the app wait times. That makes it easier to let the kids know its ok to move somewhere else if there is an unsafe condition and to come back later. Lines shouldn't be an issue.

We just made secondary dinner reservations for our 2 current DS dinners because we are hearing the same thing, that DS is not doing as well with compliance as the actual parks and resorts are. We are scheduled to go 8/15-8/22 but coming from NY and still no official end to the Florida quarantine (the one entering Florida) so we are going to wait until the last minute to cancel (the quarantine when we get back to NY is not a big deal since I work from home).

Cancelled this morning.. mostly due to the fact that I live in NY and am a teacher. We would have to quarantine 14 days when we return and that cuts into my school year (even though I don't even know that that looks like!) Super sad as this was rescheduled from April but going to try for Christmas... 3rd time's the charm?

If it makes you feel any better about your decision, I just got back and wish I had not gone. The wait times are way down, true but the parks just don't have the same happy atmosphere. And if you have COVID concerns, the whole time you can't help but worry. Now I am back and worried I'm going to come down with it. ALSO the heat with the mask is pretty miserable. I'm from Texas and used to hot but with the shorter hours it is hard to go early and then go back at night and it is way hotter in a mask. We honestly were ready to come home about three days into the trip. I wish I had waited... At lease a few more months to see if the numbers go down and possibly catch better weather. Both my daughter and I agreed we would take longer lines any day to have the old Disney back.
That makes me feel better. Im glad you posted this.

Thanks for sharing the flip side! Empty park pictures don’t look as magical; people watching is half the fun. I’ve seen reports of people packing up and leaving mid trip because they aren’t having fun, and others reporting it was their best trip ever. For us it’s definitely a safety issue so we’re giving it another week or so to see if anything changes. Also, the optics of telling friends and family we are going to WDW play a role, not going to lie.

We've just canceled. MA has a 14-day self-quarantine and my 17-y-o doesn't want to miss shifts at work, and if we have a hybrid or in-person school year then both kids would miss the first four days of school. We're vacationing within the state and hope to cruise or go to DW in April 2021.

Thanks for sharing the flip side! Empty park pictures don’t look as magical; people watching is half the fun. I’ve seen reports of people packing up and leaving mid trip because they aren’t having fun, and others reporting it was their best trip ever. For us it’s definitely a safety issue so we’re giving it another week or so to see if anything changes. Also, the optics of telling friends and family we are going to WDW play a role, not going to lie.
The optics is a big deal. Not just the fact that people may think you are crazy for going, but would understandably be concerned if you traveled to a hot spot (especially if you are coming from an area with less spread) and then returning to work or school without a quarantine period. This is a big reason why I cancelled our August trip. Of course then my son’s school start date was pushed back and we could have ended up quarantining before school started.. but I’m hopeful we can go back sometime this winter or next year when the heat won’t be as bad.

The optics is a big deal. Not just the fact that people may think you are crazy for going, but would understandably be concerned if you traveled to a hot spot (especially if you are coming from an area with less spread) and then returning to work or school without a quarantine period. This is a big reason why I cancelled our August trip. Of course then my son’s school start date was pushed back and we could have ended up quarantining before school started.. but I’m hopeful we can go back sometime this winter or next year when the heat won’t be as bad.
For sure. We both WFH and school is starting later so we’re good there but still, I feel like we’ll get a lot of judgement for going, and probably rightly so. But all we can do is make the best decision for us and take every precaution if we go.

I cancelled my trip. I had a lot of DVC points to burn and was planning on only spending half days in the park...but with the situation getting worse there...self quarantine in NJ...i decided to pull the plug and cancel my AP and use my points for a vacation at Hilton Head...i can just lazy around the pool and beach. Disney is magical...but its not for me or my family right now.

Also, the optics of telling friends and family we are going to WDW play a role, not going to lie.

We have made the decision to not tell people where we are going until after we get back! A few select people know, but that's it. I just don't want to deal with the snarky comments even though half my friend/family group has gone or will be going to various beach locations (NJ Shore, DE, OCMD, OBX, Myrtle Beach). Not to mention, most of those locations are part of the recommended 14 day quarantine here in PA, and most people are not doing that. We just aren't beach vacation people, and many of those locations are now "hot spots" but yet still don't have the stigma of Florida right now. We are fully planning to do the 14 day post trip quarantine as much as possible too.

We leave next week, and we have continued to talk to and prep our kids for this. We will not force ourselves into situations that do not feel safe or rules are being neglected. We will turn around and go somewhere else. I already warned them that Disney Springs might be a no go (they want to go to the NBA store and they like T-Rex). I have not been encouraged by the reports coming out of there, but we will be there on a weeknight and the problems seem to be on the weekends, so I am not ruling it out completely. I just want them prepped mentally that we may show up and not stay if things aren't safe.

My DH watches one of the vloggers who has been since opening. He and his other v-logger friends are consistently walking on rides and they are nowhere near the app wait times. That makes it easier to let the kids know its ok to move somewhere else if there is an unsafe condition and to come back later. Lines shouldn't be an issue.
My wife and I have been watching vlogs. The DIS posted one yesterday about "The Best and Worst" of the reopened Disney Parks. They had good things to say about the parks...........but Disney Springs not at all. So we've cancelled a dinner reservation there. Its just not worth it. We've been to the restaurant before and we'll go back someday when this is over.

Doug :goofy:

This actually makes me feel a lot better about cancelling. Watching the live-streams, my kids kept pointing out all the closed shops and restaurants. Then others mentioned it could be difficult to find food at off times. My son loves Disney but felt he really wouldn’t be able to handle the heat in a mask. The low crowds were soooo tempting though. In the end, we decided we’d rather wait for cooler temps and a more full Disney experience. It’s hard to feel good about that decision though, when everyone is saying how amazing it is to not have lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter