August 2020 Reservations-still going?

I have a visit scheduled Aug 3-8 at the Dolphin. Very slim chance I am going. Was looking forward to seeing a once in a lifetime mostly empty WDW but not sure if it’s the responsible thing to do.
All of the other crescent lake hotels are closed during that week. Will any of the Boardwalk restaurants be open?

I have a visit scheduled Aug 3-8 at the Dolphin. Very slim chance I am going. Was looking forward to seeing a once in a lifetime mostly empty WDW but not sure if it’s the responsible thing to do.
All of the other crescent lake hotels are closed during that week. Will any of the Boardwalk restaurants be open?

I am really struggling now. I had always planned to go on with our July 28-Aug 5 trip and even did the online check-in today. We are just so excited about this trip and really need the break as my mom just passed away a week ago. But...I am feeling like I wouldn't be a responsible parent if we do. The trip is with our 3 adult (ages 19, 22, 24) children and our son's girlfriend. What if we do get Covid as a result of this trip, how do I live with that? I know we can catch it anywhere, I'm just really having an internal mind vs heart struggle today. Let me stress that I in NO WAY judge anyone else's decision either way, I'm just venting about MY struggle right now. Just don't know what to do, we would leave (flying) 2 weeks from tomorrow.

August 2 arrival, and after what I’m reading about the out of control number of cases in Florida, I am leaning heavily towards canceling out trip. We are fortunate to travel to Disney a few times a year under normal circumstances, and my priority right now is keeping myself and my family healthy. We’ve been to Disney in the past, and we’ll be able to go again eventually. If the number of cases wasn’t escalating so rapidly, I would go but at this point I am thinking we will cancel and instead travel to somewhere else. My daughter and I are both disappointed. She’s had little to look forward to all summer, and she was excited about traveling to Disney. Hopefully it won’t be long before we’ll be able to go again. I’m still thinking it over but am leaning towards not going at this point.
We are supposed to arrive August 6th. After watching the news a couple hours ago I’m having second thoughts about going.
This morning I had my mind all set on going after watching some MK opening day YouTube videos. Disney seems pretty safe except when people crowded up when characters were in sight.
We are flying so my worry is the airports and planes. I honestly do not know what to do. I’m thinking DW might close again.

I am really struggling now. I had always planned to go on with our July 28-Aug 5 trip and even did the online check-in today. We are just so excited about this trip and really need the break as my mom just passed away a week ago. But...I am feeling like I wouldn't be a responsible parent if we do. The trip is with our 3 adult (ages 19, 22, 24) children and our son's girlfriend. What if we do get Covid as a result of this trip, how do I live with that? I know we can catch it anywhere, I'm just really having an internal mind vs heart struggle today. Let me stress that I in NO WAY judge anyone else's decision either way, I'm just venting about MY struggle right now. Just don't know what to do, we would leave (flying) 2 weeks from tomorrow.
This is exactly how I have been feeling today. We have been looking forward to this trip a long time. I don’t want to take a chance on us getting this virus, but I really have my heart set on going. I don’t know what to do either.

This is exactly how I have been feeling today. We have been looking forward to this trip a long time. I don’t want to take a chance on us getting this virus, but I really have my heart set on going. I don’t know what to do either.
I think I've been in denial that the cases will start going down, but they just keep going up and up. It's insane. This year has been full of so much disappointment, and it just never ends.

The closer our trip gets the more on the fence I am. Seeing the parks open is so great but the reality of what’s going on just feels even more... real now. Really hoping things improve in the next three weeks but not holding my breath.

We are also on the fence. We aren’t concerned about flying, it’s the parks and the behavior of our fellow guests. We have seen mixed reports since the reopening. The owner of one of the large Disney Mom groups on FB had an awful lot of pictures on FB and her Insta with no mask (her and her kids). We have a few weeks to make a decision since our airfare will extend to 2022 if we cancel by the end of the month.

These are our exact dates and I’m in the same boat. The live-streams made me hopeful, but the numbers are impossible to ignore. I want to be responsible, but I desperately want to go too, as this is our last chance to use our AP’s. I just keep hoping the numbers will go down, but we are running out of time.

We made the tough decision to cancel or August 16th - 25th trip. With school starting just after we got back, it would be irresponsible for us to go with our two kids with Florida's numbers that are going up every day. We re-scheduled to December in hopes that things get better. If not, then it's an August 2021 trip.

Still going! August 13-20! My kids' school system just pushed school start date back to the 20th, so it's going to work out great!

To me it’s one thing to catch covid it’s another to be actively sick with covid stuck in Florida. What is your family going to do? Do they now all have covid? When will you be cleared to fly home? Is it responsible to stay at a hotel with active disease? Can my family visit me at the hospital? Family going to fly home without you?

Just a real hot mess I’d rather not risk

Why? You have the numbers reversed. NJ rates are low so FL has no issue with you arriving there.
The problem is returning to NJ from FL which is now the epicenter of covid. You will be required to quarantine for 14 days. I also live in NJ. I also want to go on vacation. Our Disney cruise was cancelled back in March and I'd love some relaxing destination. I do like seeing that our numbers have been staying low despite re-opening. :thumbsup2 My job (Philly hospital) has already emailed employees that if anyone visits any states on The List, we need to quarantine before returning to work and need to use vacation time to so. To me, that makes it a no-brainer to just stay home and save the $ for when travel is easier. The demand for rentals at the shore is so high right now. A coworker was quoted something like $1700 for a 2 night stay in Ocean City. I don't know if this kind of price gouging is widespread or just a few random people but it seems a lot of NJ residents would rather just stay within NJ to avoid the quarantine hassle. I've lost all urge to travel lately. At this point I don't feel like going anywhere. Maybe we'll do a day trip to the beach.
Trying to look on the bright side, at least we're saving a lot of $ by not taking vacations.
All fair points..........as in all things everyone is different. For us the quarantine on return is not an issue. I work from home and my wife's business ended with Covid. We've essentially been quarantined for 17 weeks.........so we're use to it. 😟 Again our reasoning for going has changed so this really isn't about doing Disney...........but since the money is gone why not stay it what "seems" to be a safer (my opinion) location.

Doug :goofy:

All fair points..........as in all things everyone is different. For us the quarantine on return is not an issue. I work from home and my wife's business ended with Covid. We've essentially been quarantined for 17 weeks.........so we're use to it. 😟 Again our reasoning for going has changed so this really isn't about doing Disney...........but since the money is gone why not stay it what "seems" to be a safer (my opinion) location.

Doug :goofy:

I agree, the money is spent and it seems in the bubble it should be relatively safe. We have looked at alternate and more local options for a vacation. We have to get out of this house and get a change of scenery! But we keep coming back to Disney actually seems a bit safer than anything else we can come up with because it is a more contained "bubble". Everything else I have looked at would require lots of exposure whether in restaurants, shops or even rest stops which seem like they would be less controlled. The safest option would probably going to a secluded beach house or cabin somewhere, but we are NOT outdoorsy people and just don't enjoy that. If I am going to have to cook all our meals anyway I might as well stay home.

I know its probably grasping at straws and my way of rationalizing our decision, but I actually feel like it is safer to go now while all the precautions are new and at the front of everyone's minds. I actually feel it may be less safe to go later when the numbers (hopefully) drop and people are more complacent about things.

I agree, the money is spent and it seems in the bubble it should be relatively safe. We have looked at alternate and more local options for a vacation. We have to get out of this house and get a change of scenery! But we keep coming back to Disney actually seems a bit safer than anything else we can come up with because it is a more contained "bubble". Everything else I have looked at would require lots of exposure whether in restaurants, shops or even rest stops which seem like they would be less controlled. The safest option would probably going to a secluded beach house or cabin somewhere, but we are NOT outdoorsy people and just don't enjoy that. If I am going to have to cook all our meals anyway I might as well stay home.

I know its probably grasping at straws and my way of rationalizing our decision, but I actually feel like it is safer to go now while all the precautions are new and at the front of everyone's minds. I actually feel it may be less safe to go later when the numbers (hopefully) drop and people are more complacent about things.
This is kind of how I feel. I told hubby if we don't go on this trip, we will never use our Southwest credits because where else would we go that we would feel anywhere near as safe? Of course staying at home is safer. But the kids are going back to school in a few short weeks and then I think all bets are off anyway.

Just pulled the plug on our August 15-20 trip yesterday. It was hard and I think I was in denial that it would get better and the cases would drop. They still might, but not enough for me to feel comfortable. My daughter would start school not quite a week after we return and I don’t think it would look too great if we didn’t quarantine for 14 days. I’m sad because this was a rescheduled trip from March, but I’ve already booked a trip for next April. Was looking forward to the low crowds, but after watching all the live feeds from people there along with the pics, I’m not sure I would enjoy it. Fingers crossed that next April will bring back park hopping and more experiences🤞🏻

I am trying to hold onto a teeny tiny sliver of hope for our August trip but now that nba players have tested positive for covid in the WDW bubble I feel like I’m kidding myself. My kids (19 and 21) start school the week after we get back and have mandatory testing to enter their dorms on campus. I think I just need to let this trip go... but watching all the live streams from the parks definitely makes the decision harder.

I am trying to hold onto a teeny tiny sliver of hope for our August trip but now that nba players have tested positive for covid in the WDW bubble I feel like I’m kidding myself. My kids (19 and 21) start school the week after we get back and have mandatory testing to enter their dorms on campus. I think I just need to let this trip go... but watching all the live streams from the parks definitely makes the decision harder.

I think the 2 players that tested positive when arriving in WDW were still in their initial quarantine upon arriving. There were additional players that tested positive prior to leaving for WDW and are quarantining in their home markets until they are cleared to travel to WDW. So I do think their procedures are in place appropriately, at least for the initial stage of their restart. It will be more telling to see if after this initial quarantine/test period if any players test positive if they are ensconced in the bubble and do not leave. I saw that 2 other players are in quarantine now for leaving the bubble to pick up take out food (DS14 is a huge NBA fan so tells me all the news).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter