August 2020 Reservations-still going?

This is such a difficult situation. We have a upcoming trip in August............what started out as a Disney trip has drastically changed to something different that really can't be avoided. However, we have the reservation so figure we'd keep it. Concern is will Disney even allow us on the resort property (which we can't get money back for). Not getting any kind of guidance in email form from Disney...........they're leaving it all on us. If don't cancel and show up...........will I get stopped ☹:oops:

Doug :goofy:
Why wouldn't they let you on property?

We are booked to go Aug 21-28 staying at Pop. Sure I’m a little nervous but I’m still going. I work in a high volume grocery store so I honestly feel I’m at risk everyday at work anyways and honestly my store looks worse than Disney right now.

Currently scheduled 7th -16th offsite and Pop. Right now we are thinking of driving and canceling the offsite portion. The streams over the past week or so have been impressive - I'm not too concerned about in the parks. It's everywhere else that is concerning. We are also considering pushing back a couple of weeks since the kids' school was pushed back.

Depending on the school schedule, we may just push back until October or November. At least it won't be quite as hot with the masks.

As of today we are still going 8/28-9/3. I haven't figured out what my breaking point is yet, it must not be the disappointing FL numbers. We are renting a car to avoid ME, have split stays at Dolphin, BLT and BWV and each park reservation is walking distance to the hotel. If we didn't have AP's and our DVC point rentals were refundable we would have postponed. Those 2 aspects of this trip really are the deciding factor for us.

Scheduled 8/22 - 8/30. Coming down from MA.

Leaning towards going but plenty of time to change my mind.

Last edited:
Cancelled the 7 nights I had booked for August 8th. Also had a UO portion planned that is cancelled. The numbers were too high in Florida and while I know dis is taking the best precautions, I assume most of the cast members must live in the state and are being exposed to the virus outside of the disney bubble. Combine that with the fact my state suggests a 14 day quarantine upon return, it just didn't make sense to go anymore.
-small rant-I feel like if Florida cared about my thousands of vacation dollars, then they should have cared about the health and safety of the people spending those dollars and not took for granted that we would run down there just because things were opened.-rant over-
But the trip is rescheduled for same time next year, hopefully things will be under control by then.

The numbers were too high in Florida and while I know dis is taking the best precautions, I assume most of the cast members must live in the state and are being exposed to the virus outside of the disney bubble.

I agree, but I also feel from what I have now seen in the parks with the precautions in place, that even if a CM (or other guest) had COVID but did not know and was asymptomatic that the risk of transmission is very low given what they have in place. Not to mention the scientific guidance changes daily on if an asymptomatic person is or isn't contagious as well. I am comfortable with the precautions in place to screen employees and guests for that are symptomatic as well. I am NOT comfortable with the area in general though, which is why we are choosing to stay onsite and not leave at both Universal and Disney and trust that their screening measures work. Given that employees at Disney Springs and Universal have tested positive but outbreaks have not been traced back to them (at least not yet) to the general public, I think what they are doing is working.

I should add, we have had many of the rules implemented at the theme parks here in PA for quite awhile now (mandatory masks, dining/retail capacity limits, social distancing in public, etc) and our cases are very low for community transmission (something like 70% of our cases and deaths are tied to nursing homes and assisted living facilities). Crazy to believe, but we are kind of used to a lot of it now. We were definitely a hot spot early on, but the measures in place really do seem to work. We have only had a slight uptick since going to our latest phase of reopening and even that is leveling off now. Maybe that is why I feel a bit more confident about our risk and that the procedures in place will work.

Does anyone know if this is because of Disney's decision or is this a decision made by China?

Good question. However CA just locked back down its gyms, indoor dining, salons etc.

With Florida the worst Covid state in the nation at the moment I wouldn't put any money down at the moment for anything in the next few months.

Good question. However CA just locked back down its gyms, indoor dining, salons etc.

With Florida the worst Covid state in the nation at the moment I wouldn't put any money down at the moment for anything in the next few months.
No, I'm glad it's all refundable.

No, I'm glad it's all refundable.

"“As required by the government and health authorities in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, Hong Kong Disneyland park will temporarily close from July 15,” "

Sounds like its re-closed due to government restriction.

Florida governor is pretty anti closure so I'm guessing it wont happen to Disney World unless they start tracing cases to visitors of the park.

"“As required by the government and health authorities in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, Hong Kong Disneyland park will temporarily close from July 15,” "

Sounds like its re-closed due to government restriction.

Florida governor is pretty anti closure so I'm guessing it wont happen to Disney World unless they start tracing cases to visitors of the park.
Makes sense. That's definitely what I'm watching for too - if dozens of cast members or guests start getting sick that will probably change our plans. 🙁

The numbers being reported out of Hong Kong certainly don’t appear to be an explosion of cases. Makes you wonder what they aren’t reporting to move to such a restrictive closure.

August 2 arrival, and after what I’m reading about the out of control number of cases in Florida, I am leaning heavily towards canceling out trip. We are fortunate to travel to Disney a few times a year under normal circumstances, and my priority right now is keeping myself and my family healthy. We’ve been to Disney in the past, and we’ll be able to go again eventually. If the number of cases wasn’t escalating so rapidly, I would go but at this point I am thinking we will cancel and instead travel to somewhere else. My daughter and I are both disappointed. She’s had little to look forward to all summer, and she was excited about traveling to Disney. Hopefully it won’t be long before we’ll be able to go again. I’m still thinking it over but am leaning towards not going at this point.

From NJ. If I was from Calif or Texas I wouldn't worry.

Why? You have the numbers reversed. NJ rates are low so FL has no issue with you arriving there.
The problem is returning to NJ from FL which is now the epicenter of covid. You will be required to quarantine for 14 days. I also live in NJ. I also want to go on vacation. Our Disney cruise was cancelled back in March and I'd love some relaxing destination. I do like seeing that our numbers have been staying low despite re-opening. :thumbsup2 My job (Philly hospital) has already emailed employees that if anyone visits any states on The List, we need to quarantine before returning to work and need to use vacation time to so. To me, that makes it a no-brainer to just stay home and save the $ for when travel is easier. The demand for rentals at the shore is so high right now. A coworker was quoted something like $1700 for a 2 night stay in Ocean City. I don't know if this kind of price gouging is widespread or just a few random people but it seems a lot of NJ residents would rather just stay within NJ to avoid the quarantine hassle. I've lost all urge to travel lately. At this point I don't feel like going anywhere. Maybe we'll do a day trip to the beach.
Trying to look on the bright side, at least we're saving a lot of $ by not taking vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter