August 2020 Reservations-still going?

Just made a reservation for the first week in August at the Dolphin. Not sure if we are going to go but I do think it provides a unique opportunity to experience the Parks at a fraction of their usual capacity. I am anxiously awaiting what this will look like in reality prior to making a definite decision.

I have park reservations for next year with the same tickets, but I'm sure I will have to cancel those reservations to make new ones.

We are still In for August 14-23 but changed from a 2 night CR/ 7 night POP split stay to a 9 night stay at CBR. We wanted pools that open before 11am. The price ended up being almost exactly the same.

We ended up canceling our early to mid August trip. I’m sad to lose the Lake View studio at Poly but, being from CT, we would need to quarantine 14 days there and 14 days back. We had planned for the return quarantine but expected that the quarantine upon going there would have ended. We already didn’t feel comfortable taking our young kids down with the current case numbers in FL but the extension of the tri-state quarantine was the dealbreaker. Plus schools are supposedly reopening here near the end of August so I didn’t want to worry unnecessarily about the kids missing even more school in case someone ended up ill. Oh, and my husband’s job and mine issued no discretionary travel orders for us. Just a perfect storm of horrible circumstances for a many times rescheduled welcome home trip :sad1:

We’ve rescheduled for Thanksgiving in a 1 bedroom at Bay Lake, so I’m hoping we can make that work!

Last edited:
I think we're still on for 8/7. The numbers suck and I wish FL would get its act together, but it sounded like things went pretty smoothly this past weekend? Has everyone heard similarly?

I have a reservation at Ft Wilderness Aug 1-7. I’m going to wait to see how things look in a week or two. Also waiting to see if my son’s school will be opening in mid August or not, and if they will ask for a quarantine after returning from FL.

I had to reschedule due to the extension of the quarantine on people from NY coming in to FL.

Fingers crossed now for the end of October. We ended up at Kidani, which was no where on my list of places I wanted to stay, but who knows, maybe we’ll love it.

We did cancel our Aug trip and DH has (nicely) asked that we push it to Oct/Nov so we'll see how everything looks then and hopefully I can re-book our cancelled trip but we are still holding on strong to our Dec 2020 and Feb. 2021 trips!!

DH said that with Disney looking as empty as it has been, that's not what he's worried about - it more getting there. We always fly and he's not a big driver, so we shall wait...

patiently... 🙄

We are booked to arrive August 6th. It will just be me and my 18 year old granddaughter.
My husband keeps saying we shouldn’t go.
I really want to go, but I’m also worried about this virus. As of now I’m still planning to go.
I’m keeping a watch on Florida cases and watching the latest YouTube videos from the parks to see what safety procedures they are enforcing and how things are going.

More committed than ever to go, but we did change our plans. Floridians being Floridians, we reduced our risk and re-booked so we are no longer staying in Orlando the night we arrive and the night before we fly out (in the morning). The flight looks pretty empty still, and the airport should be relatively empty, especially late at night and early morning when we'll be there. Disney has their act together - super confident about that, so the more we can limit the trip to "Disney only contact", the better. Thank you again to DVC for making this possible - there was plenty of availability for a Saturday and Friday night stay (extended our 1 br Standard view BLT on each end). Who would have figured that was possible a year ago when we got up early to book at the 11 month window?

Update: BF and I had originally planned on going on our 8/21 trip all the way up until last week.... BF then started to get a little wary of the huge numbers in Florida and said we should keep an eye on things, which I was not too happy about but I kept out hope that things would get better (I didn't stay on the phone for 5 hours to switch resorts for nothing!!!!!!!!). Still, that kind of dwindled my excitement for the trip, and then with the HUGE numbers this weekend, I decided we should postpone. Now, I'm excited to plan a whole new trip! We ended up at CBR due to POR closure but since we are postponing, we're gonna ball out and stay at either Poly, Riviera, Boardwalk, or Beach Club, so now I'm MORE excited about that! Sad not to go and see all my hard work go to waste, but I just knew if we went next month I'd be fine (nothing can keep me from the parks lol), but my BF would've been so paranoid the entire time and I would hate for his first trip to be like that. We're thinking either this November or May 2021.... any thoughts on that? And any recs on the hotels I mentioned? I'm making him watch overviews of each of the resorts with me tonight (something I do in my free time hehe) so we can make the best decision for us LOL.

We are still planning on going, first week of August. Seeing the parks this weekend and the procedures in place, we still feel comfortable. We have decided to not leave the Universal/Disney bubbles though, so I need to find some type of grocery pick up/delivery option but otherwise will be onsite at both places the entire time. Outside of the grocery store, Target/Lowes, a few doctors appts, and 1 dinner out for our anniversary, we have not really left the house since mid-March nor had a day off from work. I am trying to keep things in perspective and be thankful for my job and comfortable home, but I am mentally done and just need something "happy" to do. It's really starting to wear on us mentally and we need an escape.

I am not happy with the FL numbers but I think that is just the world we live in now and we know our risk. Currently PA has a "recommended" but not "required" quarantine upon return from Florida (and 18 other states). We can pretty reasonably do the quarantine and still be ok with work (still work from home) and school (quarantine would end over a week before school starts if they would even go back in person as we don't know the districts plans yet).

I also switched our plans around to try to stay in the Disney bubble as much as possible. Moved from an off-site hotel to POP; canceled our beach day to Clearwater, and canceled plans to a few places off property. We went from one park day in a 7 day trip to 3 now and I am contemplating a 4th. We are scheduled to go August 26 - September 2. With that being said - my husband really wants to cancel. I have convinced him to wait until August 1st to re-evaulate.

We're thinking either this November or May 2021.... any thoughts on that? And any recs on the hotels I mentioned? I'm making him watch overviews of each of the resorts with me tonight (something I do in my free time hehe) so we can make the best decision for us LOL.
Oh boy - I'm done trying to predict when things will go back to "normal". It does appear that Disney is doing things right, so if your intent is to wait until things like fireworks return , then the more time the better - but I would not figure on COVID being gone. As for which resort, depends on your tastes, but for just a couple, I think I'd go Poly with the way things are right now.

Oh boy - I'm done trying to predict when things will go back to "normal". It does appear that Disney is doing things right, so if your intent is to wait until things like fireworks return , then the more time the better - but I would not figure on COVID being gone. As for which resort, depends on your tastes, but for just a couple, I think I'd go Poly with the way things are right now.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... like November would be great because its sooner but the other part of me feels like there might be more normalcy in may (fireworks etc) so maybe I should just hold out.

Also that's true for Poly- I feel like the big draw at beach club is stormalong bay which we have no interest in, but I just love that epcot area and the rooms at boardwalk are pretty meh to me.

Update: BF and I had originally planned on going on our 8/21 trip all the way up until last week.... BF then started to get a little wary of the huge numbers in Florida and said we should keep an eye on things, which I was not too happy about but I kept out hope that things would get better (I didn't stay on the phone for 5 hours to switch resorts for nothing!!!!!!!!). Still, that kind of dwindled my excitement for the trip, and then with the HUGE numbers this weekend, I decided we should postpone. Now, I'm excited to plan a whole new trip! We ended up at CBR due to POR closure but since we are postponing, we're gonna ball out and stay at either Poly, Riviera, Boardwalk, or Beach Club, so now I'm MORE excited about that! Sad not to go and see all my hard work go to waste, but I just knew if we went next month I'd be fine (nothing can keep me from the parks lol), but my BF would've been so paranoid the entire time and I would hate for his first trip to be like that. We're thinking either this November or May 2021.... any thoughts on that? And any recs on the hotels I mentioned? I'm making him watch overviews of each of the resorts with me tonight (something I do in my free time hehe) so we can make the best decision for us LOL.
Depending on the length of your trip, you might want to look at a split stay, and then plan your park days around where you are staying. This is the approach we are taking with our August trip to help minimize any extra exposure during transportation.. We will be doing HS and EP while staying at BWV. MK while we are staying at VGF. AK while we are at AKL.

This is such a difficult situation. We have a upcoming trip in August............what started out as a Disney trip has drastically changed to something different that really can't be avoided. However, we have the reservation so figure we'd keep it. Concern is will Disney even allow us on the resort property (which we can't get money back for). Not getting any kind of guidance in email form from Disney...........they're leaving it all on us. If don't cancel and show up...........will I get stopped ☹:oops:

Doug :goofy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter