*August 2019 check in*

I agree with Peter Pan [...] Last ride of the night maybe so i can get in line just before park closing ;-)
Another promising strategy I’ve heard of is spending the fireworks close to the Peter Pan entrance (the ride closes for the duration of the fireworks) and to be then perfectly positioned for when they open the ride back up after the fireworks are done.
I thought crowds have been great so far?
I’ve been watching and logging wait times for the past three weeks and, between staff cuts, the special $99 AP deal, and news of an empty park triggering the occasional, spontaneous trip, the after 10am crowds and with that wait times have been steadily getting worse during that time. Three weeks ago would have been the perfect time to visit. Now it seems to be shaping up to turn into your usual summer crowds.

Everyone here says prepare for the worst. So I'm planning to be at the gates early for our EMH, take a break when it's hot and crowded, use the heck out of MaxPass, and I've figured out a preliminary touring plan. Is there anything else that I should be doing to prepare for a busy August trip to DLR?
You sound ready to me!

My mantra for Disney trips is "Pack your patience"

Also, if you can order a flat of bottled water to be delivered to your hotel (or pick one up if you have a car) then do that. Between the 3 of us we typically go through 4+ bottles each per day so I usually get at least 48 bottles. On WDW trip last August we went through 96 bottles and that does not include some that we ended up buying in the parks. (None of us can stand the taste of the water at either DL or WDW)

Yep this is what we did too. Saved so much money. We were able to stop at a store so I got a small styrofoam cooler and used the hotel ice to fill up. There was 5 of us so keeping that much water cold was hard so the cooler worked well. It was so nice coming back to the room and having ice cold water. We also got muffins, bagels, snacks, other drinks, etc for quick breakfast to eat on the way to the parks.

Since everyone is talking about their Peter Pan strategy, I’d like to know if the ride at DL is different that the one at WDW? If they are the same, my strategy will be Skip it.

If anyone is booked at the Desert Palms, they just extended their 40% promo until September so you may be able to get a rate adjustment!

Since everyone is talking about their Peter Pan strategy, I’d like to know if the ride at DL is different that the one at WDW? If they are the same, my strategy will be Skip it.

Similar but not identical.

In my opinion, the actual attraction itself in Disneyland is way better than the one in Florida. It was even enhanced with some pretty nifty special effects for the 60th anniversary a handful of years ago... the only thing I would say that the Magic Kingdom has on the California attraction is a superior queue area. So yes, while similar, I personally wouldn’t skip Peter Pan in Disneyland entirely if it was my first experience with it...

Ignore the attached if you’re a relaxed, seats-of-the-pants Disney person. However, if you are as compulsive as I am in your planning, you may enjoy this result of three weeks of wait time research, which I promised further up-thread to share with you guys.

The attached is a 4-page PDF summarizing my (cautious) projections for our upcoming trip (Tuesday, July 30 to Friday, August 2—I know from past visits that different weekdays may have different patterns). Wait times have been pretty funky and were fluctuating quite a bit, so I don’t know how much use this will be for you if you travel later this month. The attractions I researched are my kids’ favorites and some of my shorthand notes may make little sense to you but, for what it’s worth, here it goes:

Attachments

• DLand&CAProjectedWaitTimesLateJulyEarlyAugust2019.pdf
    132.2 KB · Views: 64
Ignore the attached if you’re a relaxed, seats-of-the-pants Disney person. However, if you are as compulsive as I am in your planning, you may enjoy this result of three weeks of wait time research, which I promised further up-thread to share with you guys.

The attached is a 4-page PDF summarizing my (cautious) projections for our upcoming trip (Tuesday, July 30 to Friday, August 2—I know from past visits that different weekdays may have different patterns). Wait times have been pretty funky and were fluctuating quite a bit, so I don’t know how much use this will be for you if you travel later this month. The attractions I researched are my kids’ favorites and some of my shorthand notes may make little sense to you but, for what it’s worth, here it goes:
Thank you!! I’m going to read over this with my coffee

Thank you!! I’m going to read over this with my coffee
Let me know if any of my cryptic notes need explaining. If there are two numbers, the left is the wait time, the right the FP return time. Soaring only has FP return times, because I have Soaring-stand-by-line issues, since we got stuck in a supposed 20 mins line for an hour (we were first at the front of the inside line when one of the two projectors broke and they decided to only let FP holders in—without telling us...).

NorthernCalMo - all I can say is WOW! I will be there the same time you are and will look at this closely to validate what I have been seeing on the app over the last few weeks. Wish I was as detailed and scientific as you are. Thank you.

I LOVE this. I've done a lot of app stalking for wait times and FP, but never methodical like this.

Let me know if any of my cryptic notes need explaining. If there are two numbers, the left is the wait time, the right the FP return time. Soaring only has FP return times, because I have Soaring-stand-by-line issues, since we got stuck in a supposed 20 mins line for an hour (we were first at the front of the inside line when one of the two projectors broke and they decided to only let FP holders in—without telling us...).

Wow, this is crazy detailed! Thanks for sharing it.

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing! I am doing a mix of planning a strategy (mornings before the crowds really build and then evenings around shows and such) and then flexible/go with the flow (afternoons) so this is really helpful to see!

OK, here's our touring plan for tomorrow until Friday. We are four on Tuesday and Wednesday (DH, myself, and two girls, 11 & 13). We are focused on everybody's favorites, which leaves out some rides that are not on that favorites list, so this is a highly personalized rather than generally applicable plan, but I figure it might still provide inspiration for tourers with different priorities. I did decide to, unless crowds get crazy, forego Maxpass and do my old pre-Maxpass FP running routine instead. Extra exercise for me, yeah! I kind of always liked splitting off temporarily and speed walking through the parks. We did minimize hopping so I don't have to cross parks while FP running. The first and second day are more intricately planned, partially because I wanted to make sure I don't forget any of the items that require husband support, partially because days three and four may change, based on what we did and did not get done during the first two days. I hope you enjoy the fruits of my compulsive planning obsessions:

Attachments

• DLandPlanning2019DisboardsVersion.pdf
    136.7 KB · Views: 21

I thought I loved data and spreadsheets and planning, but you totally win. Thanks so much for sharing! I look forward to hearing about your trip--have a great time!

OK, here's our touring plan for tomorrow until Friday. We are four on Tuesday and Wednesday (DH, myself, and two girls, 11 & 13). We are focused on everybody's favorites, which leaves out some rides that are not on that favorites list, so this is a highly personalized rather than generally applicable plan, but I figure it might still provide inspiration for tourers with different priorities. I did decide to, unless crowds get crazy, forego Maxpass and do my old pre-Maxpass FP running routine instead. Extra exercise for me, yeah! I kind of always liked splitting off temporarily and speed walking through the parks. We did minimize hopping so I don't have to cross parks while FP running. The first and second day are more intricately planned, partially because I wanted to make sure I don't forget any of the items that require husband support, partially because days three and four may change, based on what we did and did not get done during the first two days. I hope you enjoy the fruits of my compulsive planning obsessions:

Do you actually keep to the schedule when you make one? We usually do more generally, like at rope drop go to Fantasyland, then head over to Tomorrowland, etc., adjusting what we ride to the FP we get. Do your kids go along with keeping to the schedule?

Woah, and I thought I loved planning and schedules! :worship:

We've done DL/DCA enough times now to not plan anything other than some dining reservations. We do stay onsite so I always have a vague "try and make it to EMH at DCA" plan in mind. (Although with EMH at 7:00am we may not make it every day!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter