August 2017 Disneyland Check-In & Chat!

We are making our 1st trip to DL Aug 22-23. We're flying from central NY and staying with the wife's family so one of our few hotel nights is the 22nd at BW Plus Raffles in a family suite (so we have plenty of room for any of her family that wants to join us). We will be in California for a week, trying to fit in a day at Universal in addition to making a trek to be on The Price is Right. We're WDW vets so we're excited to see all the different stuff at DL. Our son will be 8 and is already pumped to ride Bobsled and Hyperspace Mountain after watching YouTube videos of them :)

I'm excited for Guardians of the Galaxy Breakout even if I'll be the only one in the group riding it!

Have a fantastic trip!!!

That's awesome! Have a a great trip!

So jealous. Have a great time.

Thanks guys! I had a blast and started a TR if anyone's interested :)

DS is totally bummed that Hyperspace Mountain is switching back to the regular SM, and he doesn't even know hes going to DL this summer. LOL I've created a monster.

Haha, I don't have the heart to tell one my friends who I'm traveling with - she'll be so upset!

We are going on our first visit to DL on Aug 13-16. It's the second half of a trip that involves a wedding at the beach first. Cannot wait! We just went to WDW about a month ago so I am looking forward to experiencing DL. Both of our boys (will be 6 and 2 on our trip) LOVE the Cars movies so they will be over the moon with Carsland.

We are going on our first visit to DL on Aug 13-16. It's the second half of a trip that involves a wedding at the beach first. Cannot wait! We just went to WDW about a month ago so I am looking forward to experiencing DL. Both of our boys (will be 6 and 2 on our trip) LOVE the Cars movies so they will be over the moon with Carsland.

You probably already know this, but be sure you go to Carsland at night. It looks really cool.

Hi guys! I kept seeing other months pop up but I couldn't find an August Check-In thread even after searching, so I figured I'd start one up!

Come post your dates, where you're staying if you'd like, and come chat about your planning, touring, and whatever else you'd like!

I'm going with two of my friends! It'll be my friend Liz's first time in California. I also super love planning so I'd love to hear what y'all are doing!

Dates

DDhunter - August 1-5
cgh - August 2-4
chicagodisfan - August 2-6
buyerbrad - August 2-9
DisneylandPlanner - August 4-9
lozzypop - August 4-12
Canadian Girl 77 - August 7-12 or 14-19
JBF1982 - August 8-9
littlemuffin06 - August 8-11
coloredimage - August 8-14
PrincessIM - August 11-16
Gin0818 - August 11-19
Princess Jes - August 11-15
BriannaRuth - August 12-18
22Tink - August 13-19
Helene_C - August 14-25
gsrieff - August 15-19
bwmetts - August 16-21
MIChessGuy - August 19-24
bswift - August 20-24
Jump4Joy8390 - August 20-27
GlitteryOtters - August 21-28
AussieDisneyMum - August 21-31
tammytam - August 27-30
Kauai4life - August 27-31
Frozen2014 - August 29-September 1

We will be @ VGC August 11th - 13th ! pixiedust: Celebrating my husband's 50th Birthday!!! :bday: Gotta try to make reservations for Steakhouse 55 !!! Hope the refurb work around the hotel is not to harsh!

August 8-11!

Funny how some of these trips come about. We had the "big" trip to DL last year for my 50th. Stayed at the DL Hotel (I had a conference a week later, so lower rates), dinner at Carthay Circle, went home with the D&B purse, then it was time for a DL break...

This year, both daughters have part-time jobs, and college-aged daughter has very limited vacation time, so I proposed to my husband that if the girls paid for their own tickets and souvenirs, we could cover hotel and meals, and have a quick three-day trip. He agreed (kind of, he wasn't thrilled with the whole idea). Then I mentioned that we could invite my mother-in-law. During DL's 50-year anniversary, we had annual passes with her, and she had a lot of fun with the kids. Since then, she has been the primary caretaker for my father-in-law who had failing health due to dementia. After 61 years of marriage, my father-in-law passed away a couple of months ago. I suggested to my husband that we invite his mom to come. After years of being at home, she agreed to come along!

So the girls paying their way went out the window (husband knows his mom would totally pay for them if she found out), and priorities changed. We want to stay close in case mother-in-law (and husband) want a mid-day break. We looked at on-site hotels, but wow! Sticker shock! We decided HoJo and Marriott Courtyard were just a little too far for trips back to room (and daughters shutting the park down). So reservation has been made at the much more affordable Candy Cane Inn (we've never stayed there before, DIS better not let us down).

Looking forward to lunch at Cafe Orleans...and hoping to try out the WOC dessert buffet. I have a summer bday -- this will be my request. Planning is half the fun!

We are going for our first DL trip 8/22-8/29! Staying at the Disneyland Hotel! We got a great deal on flights from CT to SNA with Southwest points. I think we will do 3 or 4 day tickets with a park hopper. Planning on a day trip to Laguna Beach and Huntington beach. I've never been to the west coast so I am excited to see the pacific ocean and of course Disneyland!

Last edited:
Well, tried to stay away from DL this year ... but it didn't work. :rolleyes1 Since we visited DL/WDW 4 times last year, we thought that we should take a break but the pull of Disney was too much! :-) DD (15) and I are going on a road trip! We will be driving down from Calgary, Alberta to our Happy Place. We will be in DL from August 19 -24, it will be a short visit but it's better than nothing. :D Haven't finalize where we are staying yet but so looking forward to being at DL pixiedust:

I just looked online to get a budget for our trip next August. I put in August dates (this year) flying from PDX to LGB it was pricy, however changed it to PDX to SNA and the prices went down considerably. Have a fun trip this summer! I really want to go back to DL, glad my husband gave the go ahead to start planning a big trip!
Yay! I've been waiting for an August check in too. This is my year of Disney, and this would be my final trip.

I don't have official dates worked out yet. It's really depending on the re-opening of ROA, F!, and the train. I'm thinking the 15th-19th. I've read that's the earliest locals will be back in school. My AP expires the 19th, but that would be our travel day home. It would be just my DS7 and I going this trip. We have family that lives about 25 minutes away, so we will stay with them this time. In this year I also stayed at Tropicana, and have BWPPI reserved for my May vacation.

I would LOVE to surprise my son, but building the excitement is part of the fun for me. I'm pretty sure once I book the flights, I'll tell him. Then we can start planning together. About a month ago, I bought my flight from PDX to LGB for 130 for the May vacation. Unfortunately the flights for August right now are 260 a person! I'm reallllllllllllly hoping those go down, or this trip might not happen. Last year I bought flights in August for a spontaneous trip 10 days before we went and we only payed 160 a person. Is it common for flights to be so expensive so far out?

Last August (19th & 20th) had pretty great weather. It was 84 both days. The crowd level was fantastic on Friday, and Saturday was a zoo. I'm hoping to be able to afford A Walk in Walt's footsteps tour, and a F! dining package for us! I've never splurged on that kind of thing (we don't even do character meals) but I figured it would be my grand finale. I won't probably be back down to Disney until 2020...sigh, I'm already depressed just saying that.

27 days until we can make dining reservations. The time is going so slow. All is can do is :bored:

Trying to figure out our table service...thinking Goofy's Kitchen, maybe WOC dinner package, and Cafe Orleans and/or Carnation Cafe. What are others booking?

We will be doing Blue Bayou for a TS lunch for sure -- we do that every time we go. We'll also be doing WOC Dessert Party. If we do TS dinner, it would probably be Carnation Cafe in DL or WCT in DCA.

Not sure on the character meal yet. Staying at the DLH so Goofy's would be the most obvious, but we did that last year so may try Surf's Up at the PPH since we've never done it before and it gets good reviews for characters. We've done Ariel's a number of times and it's my favorite for a character meal for food, but my kids are no longer into Princesses.

Will be heading to DL for a few days; Aug 22-24. Staying tentatively at DLR CL and hoping for a summer sale. Scared about refurb at GC which is why we are staying at DLR. Also hoping to catch HM before it closes for Halloween Overlay.

I'm trying to decide on what reservations to make, Cafe Orleans for lunch for sure, but I'd like to know if Fantasmic will be back, and what kind of dining options there will be for the show. We do a lot of counter service because we don't like to be tied down with reservation times. There are always lots of delicious counter service places we like, maybe too many!

We had to reschedule a trip that was supposed to take place in June for August. Really wanted to catch the Main Street Electrical Parade so we will be there August 13th through 16th. We have three day tickets. No park hopper but with four kiddos 5 and under we didn't think we would really utilize the hopping. Fingers crossed Fantasmic! is up and running then!

Also crossing fingers that the three year old who is currently 38 inches will reach 40 (at least with shoes on) before our trip. May be a stretch but it would be exciting for her to be able to ride the big rides with her older sister for both their first time!

27 days until we can make dining reservations. The time is going so slow. All is can do is :bored:

I know! I have an alert in my phone for the day I can start making reservations lol. I've been flip flopping between a Carthay Circle WoC reservation or the dessert party so I should probably make up my mind.

So glad I found the August thread!

Please add us to the list. We will be there August 1-9. Staying at Hojo (again).

Took a trip in March and upgraded our passes so that we could come back in August with my oldest and my grand daughters.

This trip will be Me, DD (26), DS (13 almost 14), DD (6) and my two grand daughters 3 and 1. This will be the first time my grands have been to Disneyland. So we are pretty excited.

I look forward to catching up on the discussion and joining in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter