Audio goof on IASW after Holiday overlay removed

twitch

DIS Veteran
Ever since the Holiday overlay was removed, there’s been an error in the audio on the ride. You may not have noticed, but there are often musical snippets associated with specific areas/dolls. For instance, as you go under Aladdin and the Flying Carpets, you can hear “A Whole New World.”

Well, currently Alice in Wonderland is playing “Bippitty Boppitty Boo” and Cinderella is playing ”In the Golden Afternoon.” I suspect it is as simple as two cables switched in an audio patch bay.

Anyway, I emailed Guest Services on January 23 regarding this issue. I realize that many people may consider it silly that I would notice or care… but it’s the Disney attention to detail that draws us back. I may not be the typical park guest, but I think this is the sort of thing that ought to matter.

I was surprised that it took two full weeks to get a response from guest services. But I confess that I was quite disappointed that it had not been fixed by yesterday, Mar 13. While guest services has to triage a lot of requests and comments (silly, unreasonable, expensive, unsolicited ideas, etc.), my email was something that could/should have been fixed within a couple of days… a black and white error in a ride system with a relatively easy fix.

Anyway… listen for it the next time through… see if you notice (or if it’s finally been fixed). I sure hope it doesn’t take until next Christmas to fix it! :)

Good ear! This has been an issue for awhile. Although I agree that most people probably don’t notice, it does need to be fixed.

I don’t know the specifics, but I’ve heard that it has something to do with the audio mixing files and is not simple to fix. At least not something they can fix “manually” by swapping a couple cables.

There’s no doubt Disney is aware of the issue, but I still think it’s a good idea to keep alerting them so they know people do notice and hopefully get around to fixing it.

Good ear! This has been an issue for awhile. Although I agree that most people probably don’t notice, it does need to be fixed.

I don’t know the specifics, but I’ve heard that it has something to do with the audio mixing files and is not simple to fix. At least not something they can fix “manually” by swapping a couple cables.

There’s no doubt Disney is aware of the issue, but I still think it’s a good idea to keep alerting them so they know people do notice and hopefully get around to fixing it.
Has the problem been around longer than the removal of the holiday overlay, then? Any idea how long?

I would have thought that I would have noticed it … we’re pretty attentive to that sort of stuff.

It may not be as simple as swapping cables, but it can’t be that difficult of a fix. It’s pretty similar in concept to the parade unit music that occurs over the underlying parade track.

Has the problem been around longer than the removal of the holiday overlay, then? Any idea how long?

I would have thought that I would have noticed it … we’re pretty attentive to that sort of stuff.

It may not be as simple as swapping cables, but it can’t be that difficult of a fix. It’s pretty similar in concept to the parade unit music that occurs over the underlying parade track.
I have seen people say that it’s been an issue since one of the last major refurbs awhile back.

I know there was a big discussion on Reddit about it a month or two ago. The consensus seemed to be that it had been reversed in the holiday overlay in previous years, and that was holiday was finally corrected for 2022-23. But somehow, when they went back to the normal version earlier this year, it ended up now reversed in the normal version. That seems pretty wacky, but I’m not privy to how the ride operates, so I don’t know.

Disney obviously knows about it, so the fact that it hasn’t been fixed yet leads me to believe that the fix is at least somewhat difficult to implement.

I have seen people say that it’s been an issue since one of the last major refurbs awhile back.

I know there was a big discussion on Reddit about it a month or two ago. The consensus seemed to be that it had been reversed in the holiday overlay in previous years, and that was holiday was finally corrected for 2022-23. But somehow, when they went back to the normal version earlier this year, it ended up now reversed in the normal version. That seems pretty wacky, but I’m not privy to how the ride operates, so I don’t know.

Disney obviously knows about it, so the fact that it hasn’t been fixed yet leads me to believe that the fix is at least somewhat difficult to implement.
Interesting. Thanks.

There are other options, including cost-cutting management or lazy employees. Hopefully your more gracious leaning is correct. ;)

My husband immediately noticed this last month but even after riding several times, I couldn't hear it. I guess I don't have a good ear for music. Ha!

Anyway, I emailed Guest Services on January 23 regarding this issue. I realize that many people may consider it silly that I would notice or care… but it’s the Disney attention to detail that draws us back. I may not be the typical park guest, but I think this is the sort of thing that ought to matter.
I'm afraid my post is going to destroy the pixie dust for a lot of people, but Disney just doesn't care about show quality like they used to.

I used to be an Imagineer. There is a department at each resort location called Show Quality Standards (SQS), where their job is to walk the parks, ride the attractions, and document everything that's not up to snuff. I thought that sounded like a dream job! And on my many trips to the parks with my family, when I would notice things that weren't right, I would let those folks know in the hope that (as @twitch did with their email to guest services) my inputs would be valuable and quickly addressed.

I finally found out, from talking to those SQS folks, that they were actually miserable over the last 20 years or so. They were people with fine attention to detail and a passion for Disney quality. But their reports were largely ignored, and the parks would just maintain (or not) whatever they wanted to. In years gone by, WDI had the clout to force the parks to maintain these standards.

Every attraction has a Show Quality Manual that describes every single effect, animatronic's motion, lighting, sound, etc. and how they are supposed to be. In these manuals, there are also "101 criteria" for which discrepancies are so detrimental to the guest experience that they should result in the attraction being closed. It used to be horribly embarrassing for the parks to have attractions go down if they couldn't maintain show quality standards. Executive leadership cared, and both middle management and front-line maintenance staff were held responsible.

Nowadays, and it honestly pains me to say this, WDI has no such power or influence, and park management simply doesn't care. They would rather have an attraction open and absorbing guests, even if it is providing a substandard experience. Executives are more concerned with downtime than with show quality. And, to be honest, guests complain a lot more about long lines (which is one result of closed attractions) than they do poor show quality.

Finally, you wouldn't even believe how many layers of bureaucracy your email to guest services has to go through before it gets to anyone who SHOULD care, if it even makes it that far. I still have that direct line to the SQS Imagineers, and even my feedback is noted, documented, and mostly ignored. A random guest sending an email to a generic guest services address... well, let's just say that complaining to your park-going companion is probably going to be equally as effective.

I haven't given up hope that we can get back to the "good old days" when Disney's show quality was one of the things that set them apart (and helped justify the high cost of going there), but right now is definitely a dark time in those regards.

I'm afraid my post is going to destroy the pixie dust for a lot of people, but Disney just doesn't care about show quality like they used to.

I used to be an Imagineer. There is a department at each resort location called Show Quality Standards (SQS), where their job is to walk the parks, ride the attractions, and document everything that's not up to snuff. I thought that sounded like a dream job! And on my many trips to the parks with my family, when I would notice things that weren't right, I would let those folks know in the hope that (as @twitch did with their email to guest services) my inputs would be valuable and quickly addressed.

I finally found out, from talking to those SQS folks, that they were actually miserable over the last 20 years or so. They were people with fine attention to detail and a passion for Disney quality. But their reports were largely ignored, and the parks would just maintain (or not) whatever they wanted to. In years gone by, WDI had the clout to force the parks to maintain these standards.

Every attraction has a Show Quality Manual that describes every single effect, animatronic's motion, lighting, sound, etc. and how they are supposed to be. In these manuals, there are also "101 criteria" for which discrepancies are so detrimental to the guest experience that they should result in the attraction being closed. It used to be horribly embarrassing for the parks to have attractions go down if they couldn't maintain show quality standards. Executive leadership cared, and both middle management and front-line maintenance staff were held responsible.

Nowadays, and it honestly pains me to say this, WDI has no such power or influence, and park management simply doesn't care. They would rather have an attraction open and absorbing guests, even if it is providing a substandard experience. Executives are more concerned with downtime than with show quality. And, to be honest, guests complain a lot more about long lines (which is one result of closed attractions) than they do poor show quality.

Finally, you wouldn't even believe how many layers of bureaucracy your email to guest services has to go through before it gets to anyone who SHOULD care, if it even makes it that far. I still have that direct line to the SQS Imagineers, and even my feedback is noted, documented, and mostly ignored. A random guest sending an email to a generic guest services address... well, let's just say that complaining to your park-going companion is probably going to be equally as effective.

I haven't given up hope that we can get back to the "good old days" when Disney's show quality was one of the things that set them apart (and helped justify the high cost of going there), but right now is definitely a dark time in those regards.
They did fix it in the Holiday version this past holiday season.

I will like your post for the very interesting information, but not the notable reduction in show quality standards.

Thanks. Your post confirms my suspicions. It’s not that it’s too hard to fix. It’s that there’s a systemic failure and the system doesn’t really care about fixing it.

There's so many things constantly broken that I barely pay attention anymore. The quality standards in the park have definitely fallen.

I've actually mentioned a sound issue about Mater's Junkyard Jamboree to a ride operator there before and his response was that maintenance told the ride operators a few days prior that it wasn't worth fixing immediately because there would be upcoming scheduled maintenance on the ride later that month.

I think you need to be like a youtuber with like 100K subs and make a video pointing out an issue for Disney to take notice. Then, they may decide to fix the issue or decide they don't want to fix the issue and give you a free hotel stay if you take down your video that talks about the issue. But this is just my suspicion based on watching some Disney youtubers and finding the timing of certain things rather curious...

We noticed this both times we rode back in February, shocked to see its still an issue!

Yes after the lackluster response I received back from guest services regarding our terrible experience at princess nite, this does not surprise me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter