Attractions: Which job and why?

DumbosMagicFeather

Mouseketeer
Just curious out there. For anyone planning on applying/ has applied for attractions, which attraction would you ask to be considered for above all others and why?

For me, it's hard. I think I would most enjoy working with Kilimanjaro Safaris, because of all the animal interaction. But I don't know if I would be able to drive that big truck...nor would I think they would train CPs for that ride.

I am going to be working attractions for the Fall 2012 semester at Disney World, I didn't ask to be considered for anything because I was originally trying to be a Character Attendant or Photopass. Attractions was third on my list. I'm actually thrilled that I got Attractions anyway. :woohoo:

If I had to choose though, I would say either Haunted Mansion or Jungle Cruise. Maybe Pirates of the Caribbean? Though, I will admit that working Kilimanjaro Safaris would be awesome. I would pick them because they're seemingly the most fun and they hold a place in my heart. Also, the spiel for Jungle Cruise is hilarious, I love it.

Also, for Kilimanjaro Safaris the DO train CPs for it. It is possible to work that attraction as a CP, most of the CP blogs that I have read actually are working Safaris. I can try to find a link for you.

http://littlemisspirate.wordpress.com/
http://luckiestkid.blogspot.com/2011/08/first-day-daklimation.html
(The second one is very informative, and my favorite blog to read because now she is a manager and she still updates. But her Kilimanjaro Safari adventures are from last year, it starts in August 2011, so just go forward from there.)

They do train CPs - I was a KSR driver on my CP in Fall 08 and I continued as seasonal for awhile. There were A LOT of CPs.

It was really challenging to train - you have 5 days to learn the 20 minute speech, 2 facts about every animal, how to drive the truck and all the "land" (non driving) positions. If you don't pass your assessment on day 5, they let you train for 1 more day before transferring you to a different role. The morning of my assessment, I was sure I was going to fail, but it all came together at the last moment - literally! The round before a manager hopped on to assess me, I got the truck stuck on the ridepath (with guests :guilty:) but when I assessed I did perfectly!

I was terrified on my first 2 or 3 days without a trainer. But then it became second nature and I could spiel and drive in my sleep!

I know they changed the ride recently, but I'm not sure exactly what changes were made

I should I add - I was certain I was getting a spieling attraction during my phone interview. My top 3 roles were attractions, hospitality and main entrance ops. They ONLY asked me questions about attractions and they were all questions like "Have you ever used a microphone?" "Are you comfortable memorizing long speeches?" and then the interview wrapped up and the recruiter said "Oh - sorry, one more question. Would you be OK driving a large vehicle?" I was so confused I replied "You mean, like a bus?" thinking they were going to put me in transportation! But then she said "No, like the safari" and I said that I would be. It was no surprise to me when I got my role!

I was a hospitality major and applied for hotels,attractions and merchandise.i worked in fantasyland attractions. I had a trainer and 3 or 4 day training. It is a lot to remember but you will get it. I still have the dumbo spiel memorized lol I really wanted space mt but am glad I got fantasyland after all. You don't get to pick which attraction u work at. Email me w any questions :)

I know they changed the ride recently, but I'm not sure exactly what changes were made

Well, for starters, they got rid of everyone's favorite pilot/warden, Wilson Matua. :(

I still have the dumbo spiel memorized lol

"When you sit down in your elephant, please fasten your seatbelt around everyone in the elephant. Once everyone is seated and your seatbelt is fastened, place your ticket on Dumbo's right ear. RIGHT EAR. Stay seated for your entire flight, and enjoy your flight on Dumbo, the world's first, best, and only flying elephant. Have a magical day!"

Wow! Thank you all so much for the responses! It does sound like it's a very hard job, the safari's. I think the part I would be more nervous about would be the driving, though. Bounce_Tigger, were the trucks difficult to drive? I'm used to my tiny little Nissan Altima...Not so much worried about the memorizing, but the driving would be what I would be nervous about with that big car.

(And thanks for the blog links, ktseitz5! I've read them front and back now :goodvibes )

If I could do any attraction it would definitely be Jungle Cruise:) I haven't even applied for the program yet but it's always been a dream of mine! Do you have to audition for an attraction like that or do you get selected?

Attractions is the best role ever! If you get put in attractions you will have the greatest time no matter where you end up. During my phone interview, I pretty much shamelessly begged to be placed at the Jungle Cruise since it was my dream role. When I started my program, I found out I was in the Adventureland/Liberty Square area of Magic Kingdom and was absolutely convinced my dream was going to come true.

I then found out I was going to be working at Pirates of the Caribbean and was pretty disappointed at first since it's not exactly what I wanted. However, I wouldn't want it any other way now - Pirates was the absolute best! I can't imagine a better attraction to work at.

When I do the DCP, I would love to work at the Great Movie Ride. I plan on auditioning for entertainment so if I don't quite make it there - GMR would be the next best thing! And, it's my favorite attraction in DHS. :)

On my last CP, I requested GMR (and got it). It's a great place to work!

My dream locations would be Indiana Jones Adventure or Tower of Terror!

Wow! Thank you all so much for the responses! It does sound like it's a very hard job, the safari's. I think the part I would be more nervous about would be the driving, though. Bounce_Tigger, were the trucks difficult to drive? I'm used to my tiny little Nissan Altima...Not so much worried about the memorizing, but the driving would be what I would be nervous about with that big car.

Sooooo, I'm actually the one that writes the second blog there. And WOW thanks for all you have to say! You guys are so nice! I didn't realize people actually read on a regular basis because I keep that blog mostly for my family.

Anyway, the trucks aren't too bad to drive, as they teach you in training just what to do. Just be careful, especially with docking. Really, the hardest part is putting everything together at the end--driving, listening to the radio, spieling, watching for animals, watching the guests, etc. I'll admit, it's always weird at the end of my safari shift... even now when I get into my little car at the end of the day I kind of have to "retrain" myself how to drive my little tiny car where I'm sitting on the ground and have a donut steering wheel and no visibility.

Oh, and as for the interview, I don't remember them "hinting" or saying anything about Safaris. I never DREAMED that they would pick me to drive Safari trucks. I had resigned myself to the idea of pushing the button on the teacups or having to resist laughter working Tower of Terror. However, with my job now I work a LOT with attractions and really, I've learned it's the PEOPLE who make the job great as much as (or sometimes even moreso) than the job itself. Just be happy, have a great attitude, and I'm sure you'll make friends and have fun anywhere. Safaris is particularly great because so many totally awesome people work there. And there are several other attractions around WDW who have awesome people to work with as well. I'm sure you'll love your new "family." :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter