Attention all cooks! I'm begging for help......

Ziva

DIS Veteran<br><font color=darkorchid>Baby New Yea
I really need some recipes! We eat out far too much and it's killing us financially, I really need to start cooking at home but I honestly don't know what to cook or even how. I really need help, I'm cooking impaired.

If you could provide me with some of your easy recipes I will be very grateful! Also any advice on meal planning etc would also be appreciated.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance!

a few very easy ones:

bbq beef (or pork)-put a roast in slow cooker with bbq sauce, let cook for the remainder of day. when you take it out it will shred with a fork. serve on hamburgar buns.

enchiladas-again put a roast in a slow cooker but use canned or jarred enchilada sauce. when you take it out it will shred with a fork. put shredded beef into flour or corn tortillas and cover with more sauce, cheese, olives and ortega chilis. put in oven to heat.

hearty soup-get "soup starter" and beef-follow directions on package. add a large can of tomato sauce and (drained) cans of kidney beans and any canned veggies on the shelf. if you want more of a "minestrone" flavor add a bit of oregano and basil.

barkley said:
a few very easy ones:

bbq beef (or pork)-put a roast in slow cooker with bbq sauce, let cook for the remainder of day. when you take it out it will shred with a fork. serve on hamburgar buns.

enchiladas-again put a roast in a slow cooker but use canned or jarred enchilada sauce. when you take it out it will shred with a fork. put shredded beef into flour or corn tortillas and cover with more sauce, cheese, olives and ortega chilis. put in oven to heat.

Ok, what is a slow cooker? Is that a crock pot? I'll have to buy one of those. What kind of beef do I buy to make these things? Thanks.

I hope you like "Cream of Mushroom" soup because a lot of recipes I see posted here have that! :teeth:

I will try to think of some and post later (I work full-time so I am the queen of trying to throw stuff together every night).

One thing I want to point out--it is VERY hard to make the switch from eating out/carrying out to eating at home. The "eating out" foods are typically prepared with lots of sodium/butter/flavorings and they actually change your palate and what you get used to tasting. When you try to eat it home, it often comes off as bland and disappointing. A lot of people give up and go back to eating out. Just keep that in mind.

You don't say if you work or not or how active your day is if you don't work. That really makes a difference on what you can cook.

For instance, if you are at home, even with little ones, you can make a big pot of chili on the stove (takes about an hour).

Well Id start with some easy cookbooks like 30 min meals by Rachel Ray. She has many easy and pretty quick dinners. Also on foodtv.com is some receipes from semi-homemade with Sandra something or another that is good also because she uses pantry items more.

Start with easy meals like tacos, hamburgers, chicken whatever, pastas, grilled meats, bagged salads are nice topped with grilled meats. I would look into some bottled marinades and crock pot receipes.

For sloppy joes, I use ground turkey and a can of manwhich bold (use awful I know) I throw in some chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, diced tomatoes, and shredded carrots. I serve on a hb bun with home baked fries.

I love bagged salads with extras in it like raisins, orange slices, almonds and just a grilled meat on top.

Lastnight I made my version of chicken carbonara sandwhiches. I cut up some chicken breasts, onion, mushroom, bell pepper, garlic, broccli and cooked in a skillet then added in a couple of slices cooked bacon chopped. I served on a wheat sub roll topped with cheese and then alfredo sauce and with fruit cup on the size.

Good luck. Also look on the budge board. They ahve a big thread going about meals that are cheap and easy.

Well, if you eat out at Olive Garden and start missing their fettucini alfredo, you can make this. It's not exact, but it's as close as I've tasted at home. Pour this sauce over fettucini pasta.

Ingredients:
1 pint of Heavy Cream
1 stick of butter (I always use unsalted, but that's preference)
2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese
1/2 - 3/4 C. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Garlic powder

Preparation:
In a saucepan combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Parmesan cheese and Garlic powder. Simmer this for 15 - 20 minutes on low.

I made it one time and it thickened up really nice. I'm not sure why, but everytime since, that's not happened. So I just toss in some cornstarch at the end to thicken it up. It really doesn't effect the sauce at all other than that.

Edit: You could also toss in chicken, shrimp or even scallops (prolly other stuff would work too) if you'd want.

Ok here's a super easy recipe that is REALLY good, and VERY easy to make. In fact I'm making it tonight! I got it in a magazine somewhere:

Stove Top Easy Chicken Bake
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes

1 pkg. (6 oz) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup hot water
1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces.
1 can (10-3.4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup sour cream
1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the dry stuffing mix evenly on bottom of 13x9 inch baking dish; set aside. Add hot water to remaining stuffing mix; stir just until moistened. Set aside. Place chicken over dry stuffing mix in baking dish. Mix soup, sour cream and vegetables; spoon over chicken. Top with the prepared stuffing. Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Makes 6 servings.

Another easy one is to get the Hillshire Farms smoked sausage, and slice into small pieces. Throw in a pan with some bbq sauce, cook up some veggies and some rice or potatoes, and you have yourself an easy dinner!

Thank you everyone, I'm taking notes here.

Some more info- I only work part-time on weekends during the week I'm home so I do have time to try this out. I'll check out Rachel Ray, 30 minute meals sound right up my alley.

See, I wasn't kidding, I'm truely clueless when it comes to this stuff, pathetic I know. ;) :rotfl:

Going to check out the Budget board link.........

I've gotten way more into cooking the last few years by watching Food Network. Then you can watch something being made and, if it looks easy enough for your skill level, you can download recipes you like and whip them up. The more comfortable you get in the kitchen, the better your skills will get. There are some crummy shows, but some I like include Everyday Italian, Barefoot Contessa, and, if you can you stand Rachael Ray's crackhead mannerisms, 30 Minute Meals.

I just wanted to suggest going to the Kraft website. www.kraftfoods.com DH & I were/are like you...we eat out or get take out constantly. Having the little ones running around was/is my excuse to not have time to cook, and honestly, sometimes I really don't have time. However, we're trying to eat better too, and the past few weeks, I've been cooking at least 4 days a week (this is huge). The kraft website has tons of recipes, you can bookmark them, it will create a shopping list for you, and it has pictures for most! All of which, is really helpful to me. Its been nice to actually not have a discussion for a 1/2 hr every night as to what we want to get to eat.

Pork chops - Put the pork chop on a baking dish. Put ketchup and then a slice of onion on top and bake covered for an hour and then uncover it and cook until done but not dry.

Spaghetti - Now I would make "the sauce" but a jar sauce would do fine. Just warm it and boil a pound of noodles. Maybe make garlic bread too. A salad will round this one out.

ETA: For stuff that freezes well make extra (about the same amount of work) and freeze another meal. We found this was what saved us from eating out all the time. Good food fast. Do you have a second freezer? This works best unless you plan on eating in a week or two.

Okay here are my REAL easy, no-brainer meals:

Jarred spaghetti sauce over pasta with bread and salad.

Jarred spaghetti sauce over frozen stuffed shells. Add a veggie for a side dish.

Salmon - Put in a pan that is lined with foil. Squeeze a fresh lemon over it. Rub in Lowry's Seasoned Salt. Drizzle a little olive oil over it. Then slice some lemons and put on top. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Make some rice and a vegetable of your choice (frozen, fresh).

London Broil - Buy a London Broil or Top Sirloin steak. Marinate in soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and pepper for about 15 minutes. Grill until desired doneness. Slice across the grain in very thin slices. Serve with rice, baked potato, veggies OR you can slice and serve it over bagged salad mix.

Try www.allrecipes.com for some great recipes.

My favorite recipes are the following:
--The Best Chicken Salad Ever
--Jay's Jerk Chicken, Barbequed Pineapple, and Calypso Rice and Beans (all served at the same dinner--WOW, better than any meal out at any time!)
--Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
--Bourbon Chicken
--Aimee's Quick Chicken
--Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast
--Easy Slow Cooker French Dip

You can always look at others' ratings on a recipe before trying. That always gives me a good idea about whether I would like one or not....

Good luck!

Great links guys, thank you! I'm making a shopping list now and then heading over to Super Target. Hehehehe...I'm so excited. :upsidedow

I've been very into marinades lately. I will frequently use a 30 minute marinade on chicken or fish (salmon is a favorite), then serve it over couscous with a side veggie (something green!)

It's very healthy and very easy!

I'm only making healthy stuff at home now. I save my unhealthy meals for when I go out to eat on weekends, but I figure if I'm going to go to all the trouble to cook at home... it had better at least be good for me! :teeth:

Outback chicken:
Take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and coat with BBQ sauce. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top each breast with cooked bacon crumbles, then cheddar cheese. Put back in the oven until the cheese melts. Remove from oven and sprinkle on each breast chopped tomotoes and chopped scallions (green onions).

Eggplant, Pepper and Goat Cheese sandwhiches. (I usually serve with a cup of soup)
-loaf of crusty bread from your local grocery (my local Wegmans makes a good olive oil and rosemary bread). To save time, have them slice it for you.
-1 medium eggplant
-1-2 red peppers, or you can get 1 or 2 jars of roasted red peppers from your pickle aisle.
-1 8oz package of goat cheese (looks like a log)
-Dijon mustard.

First things first - take out the goat cheese and let it sit on the counter to soften up.

Slice eggplants thinly and either grill on your outdoor grill, on a grill pan, or regular pan until both soft and slightly brown.

If you are using regualr peppers, you'll be roasting them. Place under a broiler until the skin becomes very black and blistery. Once a side is done, turn the pepper, so all sides are charred. Remove and place pepper in a paper lunch bag (or other closed dish or bag). This steams the pepper and makes the skin removal easy. After 5-10 minutes, remove pepper and peel off skin and take out the seeds. Slice into fair sized chunks, maybe the size of your palm.

Now assemble your sandwhich. Toast the bread lightly, then spread one slice of bread with the mustard and the other slice with goat cheese. Add the eggplant and peppers.

Favorite Shake and Bake Broccolli
-Broccoli florets
-Olive oil
-parmesean cheese
-breadcrumbs.

Take your broccolli florets and put them into a gallon plastic bag. Pour over some olive oil (not too much, maybe 2 Tbl. at most) and shake until florets are coated. Toss in some parm cheese and breadcrumbs - at a 2 to 1 ratio (more parm cheese than breadcrumbs) and shake bag until the broccolli is coated. I think I usually put in some salt + pepper, too. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the brocolli is fork tender or to your liking (I like them more crunchy, my husband prefers more mushy).

I would also recommend Rachel Ray's cookbooks. Also, I really like the Semi Homemade lady ( I think it's Sandra Lee or maybe Sandra Dee). And of course, you have to love the old standbys - Betty Crocker and the Joy of Cooking.
Some people love cooking, some people hate it. I think what makes weekday cooking easier for me is that I will frequently make large batches of food such as soups, pulled pork, mashed potatoes, and casseroles and then freeze them into portions using throwaway soup and salad containers found near the saran wrap and plastic baggies. Then during the week, all I need to do is grill up some meats and I'll have accompiments that I can just toss in the microwave that aren't full of extra calories and cost way less then if I'd bought at the grocery store. I don't think I do a lot of extra cooking persay, but let's say I'm making tomato soup on a Saturday...I'll triple the recipe and freeze the leftovers. I also use a lot of frozen veggies as they don't go bad like fresh do and they are a lot cheaper.

These all sound so yummy, they're making me hungry now. I just hope I'm able to pull off the actual cooking part. ;)

Ziva said:
Ok, what is a slow cooker? Is that a crock pot? I'll have to buy one of those. What kind of beef do I buy to make these things? Thanks.

i actualy have a slow roaster (west bend versititlity brand)-it's a roasting dish with a lid that can be used on stove top, in the oven or on the heating element it comes with (which can be set at "keep warm", medium and high). i like it because it cooks faster than a traditional crock pot (and is much easier to clean). the recipies will work in a standard crock pot or slow cooker.

i get whatever type of roast is on sale-one of the advantages of slow cooking is it can take the toughest cut of meat and come out tender.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter