• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attempting to fly w/out Xanax - take off question?

Farro

Argh.
My fear of flying is not crippling. I can get on the plane. But I've been taking a smaller dose of Xanax about an hour before the flights to just to take the edge off. Problem is it takes too much of an edge off and the first day of our trip, I never feel like I really enjoy it because I'm foggy! :D

So, I know I can get a glass of wine on the plane if I think I need it (nothing wrong with an early morning wine...) but that's only when we are up in the air already. I also have an adult coloring book with my markers - helps me concentrate and take my mind off stuff, but have to wait until I can pull down the snack tray.

Unfortunately, the scariest part for me is taking off.

Any tips to help me during take off? Sometimes I count to myself and that calms me. Also, if I know the length of time that something takes, it helps me to relax. How long does it normally take to get to cruising level for about a 2.5 hr flight? Or even, just how long before you stop feeling that "taking off" feeling?

All tips or words of wisdom welcome!

Some airlines are not currently selling adult beverages.

You could try half a Xanax or an adult beverage past security

United serves on domestic flights that are over an hour in length. Mine is 2.5!

I really want to try w/out Xanax at all.

Sometimes I count to myself and that calms me.

I close my eyes and count, slowly, to 100 with a full deep breath in and out for each number. You won't get to cruising altitude by the time you get to 100 but you do get above 10,000 feet, which always makes me feel better and past the "take off" stage.

My trick is headphones and music, maybe some disney tunes to focus on the destination. I don't want to hear the safety speech, weather or anything the less I know the better. Good luck!

I close my eyes and count, slowly, to 100 with a full deep breath in and out for each number. You won't get to cruising altitude by the time you get to 100 but you do get above 10,000 feet, which always makes me feel better and past the "take off" stage.

This is super helpful, thanks! :D

My trick is headphones and music, maybe some disney tunes to focus on the destination. I don't want to hear the safety speech, weather or anything the less I know the better. Good luck!

thank you!

Unless you're up front, and even then only half the time, you're not going to get a glass of wine before reaching cruising altitude. I would suggest getting a drink in the airport between security and the gate.

I listen to music on my headphones. For years, I would only ever listen to Foo Fighters' "Learning to Fly" during takeoff. (Cliche, I know!)

You also could look into a meditation app. I use Insight Timer, and I just looked it up, and they have several guided meditations that are about fear of flying. (I'd suggest previewing them before you go, and finding one you like.)

Unless you're up front, and even then only half the time, you're not going to get a glass of wine before reaching cruising altitude. I would suggest getting a drink in the airport between security and the gate.

I know, the in-flight wine is to relax me during turbulence. :D That's why I'm trying to figure out ways to relax during take-off! 😂

As someone that has been on Xanax for over 30 years, I can tell you, its not easy--- I always take half a bill 30 mins before we are scheduled to take off--- HOWEVER, recently I started to fly without it--- I listen to music, and do the 4-8-4- breathing exercise --

With your mouth closed, breathe in slowly through your nose, counting slowly to 4---

hold that breathe for 8 seconds---

Slowly exhale, counting slowly again to 4

Repeat the three steps three times--- I do it a few times a day--- its great !!

You mentioned coloring book. Do you have a tablet? There must be some type of app that's like coloring that you can just do without the need of a tray table.

I don't drink, so I have no suggestions of when is a good time for wine.

You mentioned coloring book. Do you have a tablet? There must be some type of app that's like coloring that you can just do without the need of a tray table.

I don't drink, so I have no suggestions of when is a good time for wine.

I don't. Just my laptop and my phone. I might not even use it, it's just something new I thought i'd try.

Have your wine near the gate. If your flight has a lot of turbulence drink service could be delayed or canceled. Needless to say that's when you would need wine the most

Maybe. Maybe I'll just go without the wine. I was only planning on having a glass.

My fear is if I drink it before I get on the plane, I'll need to use the restroom during take off! 😂

Also, I will have my Xanax with me if I start to get panicky. I only get them when I fly, so I have 2 total - which I cut in half. I used to do .25 before we left for airport and then .25 right before boarding - there and back.

If anything, I will just do .25 about 30 minutes before take-off.

But fingers crossed I can do this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter