At what age do you stop taking kids out of school?

No kidding. Every time this topic pops up I feel so sad for all the people who feel legally obligated to give schools so much say over their family time. And also blessed that my kids have had so many wonderful educators in their lives who understood the importance of what happens outside their classroom.

I can't speak for other posters in this thread, but I don't feel legally obligated to anyone. I just don't want to pull a kid out of school for 6 days just to experience "low crowds." I think it might set a precedent that I don't want to deal with.

Family time is very important and there are MANY breaks in our school district for us to have it. In the grand scheme of things the kids aren't in school that many days. I don't mind extending fall break or Mardi Gras break by having her miss the rest of those weeks, but there's a line and to me, 6 days crosses it.

Not everyone can homeschool. Many of us have to work full time.

I took my kids out once when they were in elementary school. Now we do spring break or summer. They may have "only" missed 5 days for vacation but, my youngest ended up sick a lot that year and missed several more days of school. I felt real guilty wasting those first 5 days for vacation.

Not everyone can homeschool. Many of us have to work full time.

My wife and I own and operate an appliance and tv repair business. Both of us spend roughly 60+ hours a week "working". So yeah anyone can homeschool. It's quite the misconception that homeschool families don't work "full time" - we've gotten that even with our own families.

Yet we still are going to be taking 12+ days in December for a family trip with DD9 & DD7.

We're taking 7-10 days in May 2017 for a family cruise. We're taking another 14 days in the beginning of October to go to Aulani.

Cheers!

My wife and I own and operate an appliance and tv repair business. Both of us spend roughly 60+ hours a week "working". So yeah anyone can homeschool. It's quite the misconception that homeschool families don't work "full time" - we've gotten that even with our own families.

Yet we still are going to be taking 12+ days in December for a family trip with DD9 & DD7.

We're taking 7-10 days in May 2017 for a family cruise. We're taking another 14 days in the beginning of October to go to Aulani.

Cheers!

Congratulations?

Sorry but I completely disagree that "anyone" can homeschool. Not everyone is qualified or capable. You own your own business. Not everyone does.

Not sure why you had to add in your trip dates? Makes no sense to me. Anyway, ok Cheers!

In our district we have 5 days that can be excused for illness, funerals, college visitation, appointments etc. After that point you need a "licensed professional" note excusing the absence or you start having detention, in school suspension, etc. A family vacation is not excused at any point in time with this disctrict. If you choose to take your child on vacation the student may make up exams but the reset is up to the discretion of the teacher or administration. I've pulled my daughter out for trips to Disney when we lived in a different district and she was in elementary school. Middle school and high school it's pretty much a big no. When you are taking honors courses and such it's hard to catch up.

Congratulations?

Sorry but I completely disagree that "anyone" can homeschool. Not everyone is qualified or capable. You own your own business. Not everyone does.

Not sure why you had to add in your trip dates? Makes no sense to me. Anyway, ok Cheers!

You made the comment that "Not everyone can homeschool. Many of us have to work full time" - implying that homeschooling parents do not work full time.

Qualified or capable is relative. Most parents taught their children prior to them entering school - quite frankly they're still "qualified/capable" - it's life/career choices that really dictate a parents opportunity.

I do own a business - thus I work full time and still have time to homeschool. Albeit not everyone does.

And the OP was asking about when do we feel it's too late to take our kids out of school for family vacation - odd to imagine someone posting their family vacations, up and coming, as an indicator of them continuing to take their children on family vacations no matter their age.

Hmmmm....may have to look into homeschooling for at least half of DS's 2nd grade year.

That's our youngest daughters grade! We're nervous and excited. Lots of opportunities in front of you if you do decide to homeschool.

Cheers!
Yes, anyone can homeschool. But here's why I won't:

I've been teaching math for 30+ years. I have my Master's and state certification. I've taught everything from math 7 to Intro to Calculus. I'm good at it; my kids are glad to see my name on their schedules. They know that they'll understand he material I teach. Likewise, my husband teaches high school English. He, too, is well respected in his school, and qualified to teach anything from English 7 to English 12.

But Earth Science? Bio? Chem? Physics? World history? European history? US history? Civics? Economics? Health? Italian? Spanish? Art? Music? Nope.

My students are taught by certified, qualified professionals, and that's what I want for my own kids. I don't want some pre-fab syllabus downloaded from the internet. I want them taught by someone who knows their material the way I know my math. Someone who gets the nuances of the material without looking it up. I want my kids to know John Sirica from Oliver North, Apartheid from Glastnost, The Monroe Doctorine from the Marshall Plan. I want them to know Meitosis from Meiosis, and to be taught it by someone who can teach them how to keep them straight. I want them to understand the reactions that individulal drugs have with their bodies. I want them to understand global warming, and what it means when the dollar moves from "weak" to "strong." I want them to be able to conjugate those Spanish verbs, to know what causes the hurricanes that occasionally plague our shores. I want someone who can teach a topic they need for this year, but who can do it knowing what they'll need next year, and in what context.

I'm not that person. I know almost every one of those facts, but not well enough to adequately explain them. Their teachers do, but I don't. I am a very good Math teacher, but I'm not a history teacher, a Science teacher, an Art teacher or a Music teacher.

Another issue: in my experience, a teacher isn't really good with the material until about the 3rd time he or she teaches it. Adequate, yes, but not really good. It takes that long to really get the nuances, to find the explanations most likely to make sense, to be able to make connections between one topic an another. And that's OK; my kids get a combination of new, enthusiastic teachers and older, more experienced veterans. But I would be that new teacher with each of my kids. By the time I became what I consider to be a good teacher of the material, I would be out of kids. My oldest child would have gotten a brand new teacher for each and every course he took.

As far as working full time, I get home at 4 pm. I make dinner, prep my classes and grade a bit each night. I can't imagine starting to homeschool at 7 or 8 pm and going for hours into the evening. My kids deserve more than that.

Hats off to you if you can give your kids a quality education and still manage 12 days in WDW in December. And I mean that sincerely-- no snark. It takes lots of different people, different approaches to make the world go round. I'm glad homeschooling works well for your family, but it wouldn't work for my family.

So we'll put up with the heat and the crowds of WDW in July, and my kids will continue to learn in a traditional classroom setting.

Last edited:
I personally believe that a major trip that costs that much is better enjoyed if you can go when the crowds are lower. I have taken my son out of school many many times for our trips and his teachers have always worked with him to get the work caught up. However, he will be a junior for our next trip and with all of the work in HS I am thinking of a compromise and going during NJ week so he will only miss 3 days. Slightly higher crowds than when I would rather go, but fewer missed days. I think it's a happy medium for us. But that's what works for us, every family and every kid is different.

We're taking DD out for three days for our Labor Day trip in two weeks. She's in fifth grade now, and I think this will be the last time we pull her out during the school year.

My daughter is going to be starting the 2nd grade in a few weeks. We go to Disney in 44 days. This is going to be the last trip that we take her out of school for. It will be June trips and maybe fall break until she's in college.

It's tough. Now that daughter is in high school we pull her out a couple of days before Christmas break. Not much going on during that week at school. We usually go around the the 17th and back on the 23rd or so..

I've been teaching math for 30+ years. I have my Master's and state certification. I've taught everything from math 7 to Intro to Calculus. I'm good at it; my kids are glad to see my name on their schedules. They know that they'll understand he material I teach. Likewise, my husband teaches high school English. He, too, is well respected in his school, and qualified to teach anything from English 7 to English 12.

But Earth Science? Bio? Chem? Physics? World history? European history? US history? Civics? Economics? Health? Italian? Spanish? Art? Music? Nope.

My students are taught by certified, qualified professionals, and that's what I want for my own kids. I don't want some pre-fab syllabus downloaded from the internet. I want them taught by someone who knows their material the way I know my math. Someone who gets the nuances of the material without looking it up. I want my kids to know John Sirica from Oliver North, Apartheid from Glastnost, The Monroe Doctorine from the Marshall Plan. I want them to know Meitosis from Meiosis, and to be taught it by someone who can teach them how to keep them straight. I want them to understand the reactions that individulal drugs have with their bodies. I want them to understand global warming, and what it means when the dollar moves from "weak" to "strong." I want them to be able to conjugate those Spanish verbs, to know what causes the hurricanes that occasionally plague our shores. I want someone who can teach a topic they need for this year, but who can do it knowing what they'll need next year, and in what context.

I'm not that person. I know almost every one of those facts, but not well enough to adequately explain them. Their teachers do, but I don't. I am a very good Math teacher, but I'm not a history teacher, a Science teacher, an Art teacher or a Music teacher.

Another issue: in my experience, a teacher isn't really good with the material until about the 3rd time he or she teaches it. Adequate, yes, but not really good. It takes that long to really get the nuances, to find the explanations most likely to make sense, to be able to make connections between one topic an another. And that's OK; my kids get a combination of new, enthusiastic teachers and older, more experienced veterans. But I would be that new teacher with each of my kids. By the time I became what I consider to be a good teacher of the material, I would be out of kids. My oldest child would have gotten a brand new teacher for each and every course he took.

As far as working full time, I get home at 4 pm. I make dinner, prep my classes and grade a bit each night. I can't imagine starting to homeschool at 7 or 8 pm and going for hours into the evening. My kids deserve more than that.

Hats off to you if you can give your kids a quality education and still manage 12 days in WDW in December. And I mean that sincerely-- no snark. It takes lots of different people, different approaches to make the world go round. I'm glad homeschooling works well for your family, but it wouldn't work for my family.

So we'll put up with the heat and the crowds of WDW in July, and my kids will continue to learn in a traditional classroom setting.

I absolutely agree that not everyone can (edit: or should, or will want to) homeschool, for a variety of very legitimate reasons. And I think it sounds like you're doing a great job with your own young people.

However, I do want to point out that home education is WORLDS away from being educated in a traditional classroom setting.

I taught either one or both of my children at home from grade 1 through to the end of grade 4, in large part because one of my children is dyslexic. Both decided to go to public school in grade 5, graduated high school, and are now in university. These days I tutor other people's children, many of whom have learning disabilities.

My qualifications? None. I barely made it through grade eight math, and had a bit of a panic attack when I realized I'd be teaching my children a subject I barely grasped myself.

And here's what I discovered... I'm really darn good at teaching elementary math. :laughing: My daughter said that her biggest problem with public school was that, thanks to the solid grounding I gave her, she didn't encounter any challenging math until Grade 11 and consequently got rather lazy about it. I've had similar feedback from other students, several of whom have now graduated.

I'm also quite good at teaching reading, though I give most of the credit there to a solid curriculum I've been adapting and refining for the last several years. My style of teaching has no relation to what you do in the classroom. I work one-on-one with a student, following their lead, adapting the lesson on the fly and supplementing with whatever materials suit that particular student best. One of my reading students did many of her lessons hanging upside down from a tree in my front yard. It helped her focus!

I knew homeschoolers who worked 9-5, and I also knew homeschoolers who stayed home with their kids. The teenagers I knew who were homeschooling at the high school level were largely educating themselves during the day and checking in with their parents briefly at night. They'd taken full control of their own learning, by the upper grades. This obviously isn't going to work for every student, as it takes a level of drive, organization and motivation that many people lack. But, I did see some real success stories, and the positive results are supported by a number of studies:

Studies have also shown that on average home-schooled students have higher grade point averages in their freshman years and have higher graduation rates than their peers.

http://college.usatoday.com/2012/02...-better-in-college-than-traditional-students/

As for the many topics you listed... it really depends on what level you're teaching. You want to learn Earth Science at the elementary level? You don't need a degree! Go to the library, go to the museum, go the park, and then put together a report on what you've learned. And hey, you're learning English as well. And probably math and some history, too.

World History? That was one of our favourite subjects. We started with the Big Bang and had a blast working our way through dinosaurs, Egypt, Romans, Medieval Knights, the printing press, China, India, all sorts of fantastic topics. The library was again our best resource. I loved learning with my kids. Every day we were discovering new things, and it was exciting and fun. And, as a bonus, scholastic inquiry became very much a habit on our household, versus being something confined to a classroom setting. My daughter (20, health sciences) was actually commenting the other day how good it feels to be learning something just for the joy of learning, versus having to focus on memorizing details in case they come up on a test.

And ultimately, regardless of whether you homeschool or not, if you actually want your children to know, "John Sirica from Oliver North, Apartheid from Glasnost, The Monroe Doctrine from the Marshall Plan," you are going to HAVE to teach them yourself. Because I guarantee you that many, many young people graduate from public schools without the faintest clue what any of these things are.

If there is any subject you feel your children must know, don't blindly trust that someone else will teach them. Teach them yourself.

After all, I regularly find myself teaching eleven year olds whose parents have just realized that despite being taught by "certified, qualified professionals" for the past several years of their life, they still haven't learned to read.

Last edited:
That's great you have a job that allows you to plan vacations around your children's school schedule. Not everyone who works can take time off when their kids happen to be on a school break.

Most people get vacation time. I'm sorry for those that don't. I only get 2 weeks and I am one of 2 people in the office with a school aged child (again luck).

I know that quite well and I don't take it for granted. I took my daughter out of kindergarten for a week last year. The trip was booked before she started school and I just didn't think about dates. Her teacher was fine with it. I am sure her teacher would be fine with it next year, but I am not.

Not sure why you're jumping on that point or feeling defensive. To each his own.

Apologies up front for speaking from a soapbox a bit....

I have taught in public schools for twenty years. I taught elementary level for three years, and have spent the last 17 in the same middle school. Since I teach near Washington, DC, we have a very diverse population of students. Many of these students are first generation born in the United States. Their families take trips back to their home countries during the school year, and I have had students miss school for up to one month. As a teacher I worry only about a students ability to keep up, not because of me, but for their own good. I do everything I can to assist them in being successful taking these trips.

Having said all that (here comes the soapbox), I resent any school system who attempts to tell a parent what he/she may do wth their children. In today's world the government has their hand in too much, and raising your kids the way you choose to. If the parents feel like they are responsible enough to help the child get the work done and that it won't sabotage the child's education, then it should be up to the parent, NOT the school. Schools who make ridiculous attendance restrictions are overstepping their bounds. I work for you the parent, and you pay ME to do so. Schools are not in charge of the kids, parents are. In our county, my wife wanted to take my daughter out thirty minutes early to make a dentist appoint, and the school threatened us that it would be unexcused if we didn't provide a note. That is ridiculous for thirty minutes on a Kindergarten student who hadn't missed a day so far that year.

I understand the reason schools want to encourage attendance. Many kids do not have parents who are responsible and allow their kids to miss too much school. But for a school to punish all parents by asserting that they will assign punishments for parents deciding what is best for their families is a gross overstepping of boundaries.

Many teachers are real people and will work with you even if the school system itself says that they are against you taking your kids out. And unfortunately, there are some teachers who will hold your kids to the exact letter of the law. Keep in mind however, that no child has ever been denied a job because of their english grade in middle school. Keep it in perspective.

My personal feeling is that I would not take my kids out of school anymore when they no longer want to go because of the workload, or when i feel like they aren't able to be absent without significant impact on their ability to be successful. We have only ever taken one week long trip where my kids are missing school, but are planning another trip this January. My kids are in 1st and 6th grades this year. I am guessing that 9th grade and higher would be when our trips during the school year would stop. Frankly I feel worse about being absent as the teacher, which is why I never did this before, and always find a capable sub way early, so that my students' education does not suffer.

Your kids. Your choice. You know best.

Not sure why you're jumping on that point or feeling defensive. To each his own.

Not feeling defensive, but it was you who quoted my post that simply stated I felt sorry for all those who do feel legally obligated not to take kids out of school (the ones who can't turn in work late, are reported to the authorities for missing more than a few days, have to pay fines, etc). If you go back a few pages you'll see my first post in this topic which actually completely agrees with your "to each his own" point.

Not feeling defensive, but it was you who quoted my post that simply stated I felt sorry for all those who do feel legally obligated not to take kids out of school (the ones who can't turn in work late, are reported to the authorities for missing more than a few days, have to pay fines, etc). If you go back a few pages you'll see my first post in this topic which actually completely agrees with your "to each his own" point.

Apologies. I need to pay better attention to whom I quote.

Thank you for being in a profession with very little recognition for the amount of good you do for 30+ years. Hats off to you and your husband. Not everyone has the passion to be a teacher. #golden_apple

Regarding the underlined: This is a huge misconception regarding homeschooling. That we do not seek out the help/advice/teaching of people who are higher qualified to teach a given subject. Often, yet not always, parents will seek out the help from tutors. I understand your choice is to have had your children attend public school and thats awesome!

FYI - the underlined is reading like this: We cannot teach cooking at home unless we're a certified, trained professional chef who went to culinary school. Parents probably shouldn't try to help little Jimmy/Jane with emotional problems at home either, they're not certified in child psychology with a PhD. Nor should parents try to help their children with sicknesses due to them not being a board certified pediatrician with extensive education in medicine (lest we forget their PhD as well). We both know that this is silly - in no way shape or form should most parents (especially those here on the DIS) not be able to make the best choices for their own children.

Regarding the bolded: Last year in the Pasco, WA school district - teachers went on strike because of a lack of curriculum - their strike lasted into the school year. Children from K-12 missed out on a couple of weeks of education. They had to go on to the internet and download "pre-fab"/hodgepodge curriculum. I should know, my sister in-law is a teacher in that district! It was so bad, there could be 3 teachers in the 4th grade each teaching something different (all in the same school!!!). Not to mention there was zero support from the actual district office.

In general: my children are learning Latin and Spanish. They love languages so much that my DD9 wants to learn French too. The teaching materials and methods are not pre-fab'ed or anything like that. They're prepared by qualified individuals who wanted a better method of teaching children. (SEE: Bookshark, Memoria Press, etc.)

Its not about a teacher teaching, its about the child learning. With the plethora of online tutoring (see: khan academy, etc.) available on darn near every subject - not to mention old school practices like visiting the public library - learning can/will/does happen outside of the public school institution.

Again, in a profession where you're only paid for being in class and yet always having to do extra work at home, hats off!!

We do, we teach year 'round. The calendar does not dictate learning and teaching for us which gives us the flexibility to take these long vacations.

We've done that too prior to homeschooling. It sucked but was manageable (heck in March we went to WDW during Central Florida's spring break!).

You see, we have had our children in the public school institution - and over the years have found that the system was failing our children. They were constantly bored - no challenge when the teachers are forced to teach to a test rather than teach to learn/educate. We want the best for our children - and that just wasn't the school system locally.

We've taken our son out for a week at a time till 4th grade then fifth grade limited it to just 3 days. He'll be in jr high this year, and now the only way he's missing school is if we're taking him to Europe.
I do feel like vacations offer learning opportunities that the classroom alone cannot. For instance our son was studying Newton's laws of motion science project he completed on the Disney cruise, using the cruise ship as his examples of each. With help from his dad, which wouldn't ever happen at home. There's only so many times Disney can fulfill the void of school though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter