• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At what age did your child get a cell phone

Marchand63

DIS Veteran
DGD (8) asked for One for Christmas Thankfully not my decision it's her parents the grandparents have offered to split the cost of the phone plan if they decide to get her one

Thankfully her father is a computer geek and he can lock it down really good

Just wondering at what age you let your child have a cell phone?

Oldest son of 4 kids was 13 in 8th grade. Youngest was about 10. Each of them got their phones when dh and I upgraded and got our old phones.

Our kids didn't need them any earlier as they were always with us outside of school.

My stepson got his mum's old one (no sim card just for the apps) at 6 but when he locked her out of the house and called 911 he lost it indefinitely. He probably won't get one until he's 12 to 14 IMO.

We did one as they entered Jr High. That was when they started using them in the classroom and also had extra curricular activities without us.

If I had an 8yr old today, I would do an iPod Touch. All the fun of an iPhone but much less expensive and no monthly service.

I guess I'd drill down more, why a phone? What does she want to do with it? Actually make phone calls? I doubt it. Probably play games, watch videos, maybe text (which can be done on wifi). And yes, with parental controls.

I'm thinking of getting DS13 one next year when he turns 14. He really has no need for one though.

14, 13 and youngest doesn't have one yet. He just turned 12. He can get it at 13 if he wants.

our older 3 got them when they got their drivers license, 4th when she was 16 as she hated driving and didnt get license til she was almost 20...

12 and the start of middle school, and only so I could track him as he rides his bike every day and I want to make sure he arrives safely. He never calls or texts anyone but giving him my old phone and adding a line at $15/month was cheaper than using a GPS tracking device with monthly service.

Once I was leaving him places where there wouldn't be a phone available.

It was later for us because we homeschooled, but if they aren't ever somewhere that they would need one, why pay for it?

Dh and I planned on giving our oldest dd a cell when she starts middle school. Last year, she was in the 3rd grade and only her and one other girl in her class did not have their own cell phone. This year, she started taking the school bus going home from school so we decided to get one for her in case anything happens. She's 9.

ETA: we got her the cheapest smartphone, the ZTE or something like that so if anything happened to it, it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Last edited:
We did one as they entered Jr High. That was when they started using them in the classroom and also had extra curricular activities without us.

If I had an 8yr old today, I would do an iPod Touch. All the fun of an iPhone but much less expensive and no monthly service.

I guess I'd drill down more, why a phone? What does she want to do with it? Actually make phone calls? I doubt it. Probably play games, watch videos, maybe text (which can be done on wifi). And yes, with parental controls.

She had an iPad which got smashed, not her fault. Her other grandmother was using it and dropped it on cement patio. I suggested just getting her another & banning Nana from using it:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

She does FaceTime with her friends so I think that's why she wants the phone. She wouldn't need to be near wifi to use it. Another thing is she is now homeschooled so maybe it's a way to keep more in touch for socialization.

Oh my DS is unreal on any kids on Internet, monitors everything, I mean everything.

Once they hit middle school was the rule in our house. At that age, they start being dropped off more, or might have school things (stay after for homework help, sports, etc.)

Right now, DS10 is in fifth grade, and chomping at the bit to get one. He's the youngest, and feels like he's being cheated. He already has a kindle, I have no idea who he would call or why he'd need one. He has an app on the kindle that he uses to send texts to me and his siblings. His last text to me was when I was upstairs and he was downstairs and needed the basil. Obviously, a life-changing circumstance!:rotfl2:

Once I was leaving him places where there wouldn't be a phone available.

It was later for us because we homeschooled, but if they aren't ever somewhere that they would need one, why pay for it?

I think they are considering it because she is in a competive sport both as an individual & team. Sometimes she travels with a coach or the team. I think it's a peace of mind thing. They wouldn't be paying for a phone I have an iPhone I am no longer using so I would give them that.

I am just glad my DS was born before I had to make these type of decisions. I just sit back, shut up & let them make these decisions.

My son got my old cell phone last year when he started middle school in grade seven. He was 11. He needed one cause he was taking public transportation to and from school by himself for the first time.

My oldest 2 were 11 and 13, flip phones. Dd15 got her first flip phone at 9, she spent so many hours a week at the dance studio with no landline. Ds18 got his first iPhone at 15, definitely one of the latest. My younger ones got iPhones for 6th grade graduation.

11 - middle school - same reasons as above, staying after school, more freedom going to friends' houses, etc...plus honestly, even though we have a landline, his friends were calling my cell phone (bc that's the number the other parents had) and it was starting to get annoying! He texts his friends mostly, so the landline isn't too useful to him (DD is only 8, she uses it to call her friends). While the school assured us that kids didn't need it and they could go to the house office etc to call home as needed, I was warned by friends that the kids are actually discouraged from doing so (and a friend's daughter experienced that last week). He got my hand-me-down phone, which was DH's before I got it.

My kids each got a cell phone-- not an iPhone-- when they graduated from elementary school at the end of 5th grade.

In middle school, they're not always with an adult and I wanted them to be able to call when necessary.

My kids each got a cell phone-- not an iPhone-- when they graduated from elementary school at the end of 5th grade.

In middle school, they're not always with an adult and I wanted them to be able to call when necessary.

I get that. The only reason it's an iPhone is it's free. And only when they say they want it, she has no idea it would be an iPhone.

My oldest was 10 as was my son but my youngest got one at 8. We got them pretty much for the same reasons as everyone else has listed. My kids each have an iPhone 7 just because that what was available when we got lines for the two youngest and we have a plan where we can upgrade to a new iPhone every year so the oldest upgraded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter