AT&T Outage

Also affecting Verizon & T Mobile. We have Verizon. Ours were not going thru for calls but we’re with texts. Then about 8:30, calls went thru again. I’m interested to hear any explanation that isn’t they got hacked by Russians.

No calling for four of us on 3 different phone plans. Top says SOS instead of bars. We can text.

In house, using home WIFI, we can use internet and apps as usual. When went out this morning away from our internet we have no internet, no ability to use apps.

Other companies are impacted as well. Security folks on tv said they don't all share equipment so that is concerning. And the lack of comment from phone companies for four hours infers they have no idea what is wrong. Or perhaps it is really bad news.

Big reality check for sure. Especially with no 911 ~ perhaps they need to allow texting.

IMG_4967.jpeg

On At&T- DH Android is fine, my iphone is SOS but I am on wifi, so I can imessage other iphones, but not text my DH, don't want to try calling. DD in NH on iphone and is not affected, everything is working fine. I am in Boston area.

In Atlanta area, my iPhone is SOS. Luckily on company WiFi while at work but it blocks Twitter . So I have to wait until back home with my WiFi for any social media

Many 911 call centers are equipped to allow texting 911. It has been a possibility to implement for 8+ years.
Good to know, be better if they actually publicized that every so often so it is public knowledge. Even on all the news reports I've watched today they only say you can't contact 911 during the outage. But then again, is our texting working because we have internet? If that were out too does 911 work?

I heard about this early today and made a test call to the Postal Service help line with no problems. I think my Tracfone uses Verizon service (and may in fact be a unit of the Verizon company now, haven't been paying attention lately). Also no problems using cellular data for internet this morning.

Good to know, be better if they actually publicized that every so often so it is public knowledge. Even on all the news reports I've watched today they only say you can't contact 911 during the outage. But then again, is our texting working because we have internet? If that were out too does 911 work?
Perhaps in your area they have not implemented text to 911.

Here is the page describing the service for my county.
https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/web/...upportoperations/communicationse911/textto911

AT&T is telling people to use Wifi for calling. SMS texting is cellular- so if your phone is affected you won't be able to text or receive texts, but imessage will work because it uses the internet.

DH thinks this is an iPhone issue, not an Android issue. It is also not happening everywhere, which is why some iPhone users aren't having issues.

DD in Orlando, on an iPhone is having no issues, she is on AT&T.

We're all down around Chicago. Does this make anyone else want to get a landline back? I hate not being able to reach my elderly mom (also gave up her land line) or DH and DD. Reminds me how fragile things really are! I'm not saying land lines are infallible, but if you had both, you'd most likely be able to use one.

I have straight talk and I am fine, but I didn't see the headlines and freak a bit when I couldn't get ahold to my mom who is recovering from an emergency trach surgery. First time since they took out their landland out that I was concerned about my parents. I was able to email her though she thought because she had installed new wireless earbuds this morning it broke it :)

We're all down around Chicago. Does this make anyone else want to get a landline back? I hate not being able to reach my elderly mom (also gave up her land line) or DH and DD. Reminds me how fragile things really are! I'm not saying land lines are infallible, but if you had both, you'd most likely be able to use one.
You could accomplish the same thing by getting a prepaid cell phone on a different network than your primary cell phone.

You would need to seek out a provider that had a plan to add minutes that did not expire or only required minimal spend each month/quarter to renew the minutes.

The hassle would be a little more than a landline but much less in cost.

Last edited:
Anybody impacted by this?:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/22/tech/att-cell-service-outage/index.html

My wife and I have Cricket Wireless for our cell phones, and they use AT&T towers. My wife's phone is completely down; she can't call or text. But, for some reason, my phone seems to be working fine.

I may have spoken too soon about having no issues on my phone. It just lost service and says "emergency calls only." My wife has an iPhone, and has been without service all morning. I have an Android and just lost service.

Chicagoland here. AT&T (through my work cell) is down - SOS only. And yes, it made us reconsider whether we want to bring our landline back...

This reminds me of the scene from the 1951 sci-fi film, "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Tom Stevens takes a diamond to a jewelry store, to have it analyzed. While he's there, all electricity (with certain exceptions) in the world is neutralized, including the phones.

Secretary: The phone doesn't work.
Mr. Krull: Well then call the phone company.
Secretary: But... the phone doesn't work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter