At resort now, maid took our personal bedding.

We are over at Marriott's Grande Vista in a 2 BR (through DVC II getaways). Tomorrow is our 8th night and we leave for WBC for two weeks. ASAIK, no one has been in our villa. DH takes the trash out and I wash the towels. I have a fleece blanket in our OL (it's an ugly plaid) that I use on the sofa and take to bed. I never thought anyone would take it. We are DVC and usually at OKW, BWV or AKV and maybe it is just too ugly.

I'm sorry they took your things. DVC is intrusive IMO (yes, I know why) as other resorts don't seem to be so interested in going in your villa. In May, I swear, one of the CM's came to our (DH & I) villa at BWV as our son and DIL had just checked out of a villa two doors down. DH thinks they wanted to know if they were *moving in* to our villa which is ridiculous (1br) and they just stashed their luggage until their Uber was scheduled. The CM (from the front desk) actually stood in the kitchen and chatted us up. We didn't know what to make of that!

Take care and maybe lost and found will return something for you!

EDIT: Well, we are now over at WBC and love it (so far). This morning, on our last morning housekeeping walked in on DH in his underwear IN THE BATHROOM! He was in the studio part of the 2 BR and all the lights were on, tv on, obviously people were not checked out yet and it was 8:15 am. Reported to the desk. Crickets. WBC is much nicer than Marriott Grande Vista. I would rate it a 6 until this morning...

Last edited:
I even leaned over and asked my mother what I should do if I lost a common household item that was the laat thing we bought together. My mother being the sentimental type.
" I dont care what you do as long as you get my ashes into Discovery River. Wait-I wont be happy if my ashes end up in the Disney landfill."
Your Mom sounds like a hoot! :goodvibes

Lost my Mom a couple years ago and while her DH is alive I have been tasked with going through her stuff. My siblings are too emotional. I have those moments like OP where I remember when and where we were when she got XXX (she was unmarried for 25 years hanging with us). I look at it knowing NONE of us want it but how do I let it go? It took awhile and OP will get there but ... I still have the memory of the day when she bought it and no one can take that away. Letting things go, holding on to the memories.

Lots of possibilities not necessarily due to Disney service quality being much diminished.

Someone may have given the mousekeeper the wrong room number or gotten digits wrong somewhere in the process.

The mousekeeper may not have understood which rooms to do or been confused as to which were no service. Might also (very likely these days) been hastily trained and not familiar enough with procedures. Inexperienced possibly, too.

Because the OP said nothing like this had happened before in multiple stays, this time was the perfect storm, which struck in an especially painful way.
But giving wrong numbers, marking who gets service on the paperwork wrong, poorly trained, unfamiliar with procedures .... in addition to zero communication .... is all diminished quality. My last stay in September they had our service setup all wrong, they didn't complete the service the days they came and they were rude. With 130+ stays onsite, I have to say that we have had some of our best interactions with housekeeping, even the ones who couldn't communicate. A smile says it all. Our last trip they obviously didn't give a rat's care. They stood around gossiping in guest areas, blocked our path, they didn't smile and avoided any eye contact and if they did they glared. How dare I smile at them!

When I stay offsite (other than vacation club which I know in advance) I have daily full housekeeping, good morning with smiles from them and great service ..... when at Disney I might as well brought my own cleaning supplies ... Disney has greatly diminished quality of their housekeeping service. These places are in same town pulling from same applicant pool. Disney has chosen their mode of operation.

Losing a sentimental item is tough, but being falsely accused of theft is much worse. I hope you're only mentioning that word here, and not actually saying it aloud to any Disney staff.
In OP's defense she was clearly upset as she posted, and I believe used the word theft in context that a personal belonging was taken/removed from her room without her permission. Hopefully she didn't use that word there. BUT a Disney employee should not remove anything that does not belong to Disney. Was it a mistake, of course, but how it was handled, poor.

When OP tried to speak to housekeeper, likely obviously upset, housekeeper should immediately had a manager that was able to communicate come to them. OP should have insisted she call someone. In that moment, no way those towels had left the building, front desk could have put out a call to managers to begin to search the linens at that moment.

When OP tried to speak to housekeeper, likely obviously upset, housekeeper should immediately had a manager that was able to communicate come to them. OP should have insisted she call someone. In that moment, no way those towels had left the building, front desk could have put out a call to managers to begin to search the linens at that moment.

That was my first thought when I read the OP. The mousekeeper knew what happened to the bedding. She could tell the OP was upset and she should have called a supervisor if she can’t communicate. Making her call her supervisor to get the search started would have been the key.

But … I can also understand why the OP didn’t push it. No one wants to be rude to someone who doesn’t understand you. It’s easier to just pivot and find someone who does. Unfortunately, I think the time sensitive nature of the situation was lost on who the OP did talk to and her belongings were gone before they were even looked for.

My son has a favorite stuffed animal he sleeps with most nights, but I always tell him not to bring it on vacation to the theme parks because in the rush to get out the door in the mornings things can be left in the bed and wind up in the laundry, and he is actually agrees with this (we usually bring one of the lower-tier plushies that he likes but would not be devastated to lose instead.) My boys usually get one new plushie each trip and they know to put them on the nightstand the second they wake up. It's unfortunate, but the cleaning crew is still very understaffed and has to hurry to get all the rooms done in time for new arrivals each day. We once lost my son's bathing suit bottom when it was hung too closely or overlapped by towels that were gathered quickly. In OPs case, you have no choice but to bring your own special bedding, but that means giving yourself the extra time to strip it all and put it in a closet or suitcase where the maid 100% won't take it with her by mistake, and doing it as soon as you wake up to be in the safe side. I really feel for you, OP, I once lost a hand-knit baby blanket made by my childhood best friend when it somehow fell out of the bottom of my baby's stroller. It's heartbreaking to lose sentimental things like that. Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

I travel with a travel pillow/blanket. Inside the zip case is a blanket and an inflatable thing to make a pillow (although I've long since pulled that out). I sleep on the blanket under my neck as I'm not really an actual pillow sleeper. It's blue in color although that was not intentional just what they had. However, I often remove the blanket from the bed when I leave a place where I know the DND isn't actually the case or I'm more wary of leaving it there, if I am sure it'll be fine I'll leave it (with DND sign up and actually enforced that way at that hotel, I don't expect housekeeping to come in when I still have personal belongings like that on the bed). It holds no sentimental value just would be annoying to replace. It is however really impossible to be confused whether that is the hotels property or the guest. I also have brought with me makeup roomer cloths and that as well could never be confused to be the hotel's property. That I can't really stash away in a suitcase because it uses water and needs to dry out. Still though I can easily replace that but would very annoyed if it was removed from the room, there's just no mistaking that.

For the OP obviously a moot point but in these things that are too common don't travel with sentimental things, things are that are hard to replace either (so even a highly specialized pillow).

While a pain I also would have stripped the bed daily when you're bringing your own although I may feel less inclined if it's the following--While I understand how the OP may be dealing with the rest of the trip right now the absence of clarifying if the sheets were white or not makes me think they probably were that or extremely close to it. If you had red sheets and red towels and everything the hotel provides is white the housekeeper may or may not remove those red sheets or move the red towels off to the side and replace with the hotel's stuff. But taking it to launder would be illogical and couldn't be confused for an honest mistake.

I think the big issue was the switching of the rooms. The OP declined housekeeping in the app (so probably further frustrating on the OP having done that) but the room they were in was going to be worked on for maintenance so they did need to go in there at some point to clean it up from the OP being in there.

I also agree with robinb it may be hard in the moment to deal with frustration, panic, and a language barrier but it's probably was what necessary at the time having someone with the cart there to find the items. I will say it does appear Disney attempted to rectify quickly and satisfactory getting the towels. The color should be less important here as a replacement but they did at least get the same brand. Without the sentimental value attached I think most people would have been fine with that resolution on the towels even if they were not the exact same type.

Did OP clarify if they were white sheets and towels that could easily be confused?

Either way if they are mine and I saw housekeeping with them I’m taking them back. Right there and then.

Either way if they are mine and I saw housekeeping with them I’m taking them back. Right there and then.
Politely and with acknowledgment that it was an honest mistake, I hope.

OP’s problem is that no one from OP’s party was in the room at the time, because they didn’t expect Housekeeping to enter while they were gone. They came back to find the items gone.

I’m sorry that OP had this experience, and I hope they get their items back. But if they were white and had nothing but a small label to identify them as different from Disney’s, I’m afraid that’s not very likely.

Disney resorts do not have “do not disturb“ signs. The signs say “room occupied”. They do this on purpose & changed them at the same time they started the daily room checks. The signs do not prevent housekeeping, maintenance or security from entering your room.

THIS. You can decline housekeeping, but it doesn't keep staff from entering your room.

I want to add housekeeping does seem to do their own things. I can't tell you how many times I had my towels placed, per their instructions, for me to reuse them. And they take them anyway. Last trip I had some earrings set out on top of a washcloth. Very obvious they were there (my container they were in broke, so that morning I put them on a washcloth) and when I returned to my room it was obvious housekeeping had grabbed the washcloth, as some of the earring were missing, and none were as I had left them.

As much of a hassle as it would be, if I had to have specific sheets, I would take them off each day and put them in my suitcase. I'm sure they are all stretched and doing the job of multiple people (as many of us are) and make mistakes as they rush.

Last edited:
Disney resorts do not have “do not disturb“ signs. The signs say “room occupied”. They do this on purpose & changed them at the same time they started the daily room checks. The signs do not prevent housekeeping, maintenance or security from entering your room.
Yes, I stated that I know this. We do resort stays 5 -6 times a year. The housekeeping has always been amazing at following our instructions due to my child's severe allergies. They did not this time. They normally come in, do their check and leave without touching our personal bedding or towels, as per the instructions I put on the original reservation and leave with the front desk. I have never had a problem with our 35 plus stays in the past 5 years since our daughter has been born. Therefore, they can in fact do this, the maid did not understand nor could she read English. This is why our instructions were not followed.

THIS. You can decline housekeeping, but it doesn't keep staff from entering your room.

I want to add housekeeping does seem to do their own things. I can't tell you how many times I had my towels placed, per their instructions, for me to reuse them. And they take them anyway. Last trip I had some earrings set out on top of a washcloth. Very obvious they were there (my container they were in broke, so that morning I put them on a washcloth) and when I returned to my room it was obvious housekeeping had grabbed the washcloth, as some of the earring were missing, and none were as I had left them.

As much of a hassle as it would be, if I had to have specific sheets, I would take them off each day and put them in my suitcase. I'm sure they are all stretched and doing the job of multiple people (as many of us are) and make mistakes as they rush.
You are right, I have always thought disney is amazing at accommodating special circumstances, mistakes do happen. I won't leave our bedding or towels out again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter