At first they didn't want me to come, now they don't want me to leave! April 2021 F&G TR (Updated 9/6!)

Wow! Your Oga's experience sounds amazing. I happened to luck into something similar back when Rise had first opened and they were opening the park earlier than planned and so there were no ADRs for these "extra hours." Yes, I did a walk-up probably before 9am. :laughing:. It was so much more pleasant! DJ Rex has lots of fun things to say and there were so many details I missed when wall to wall people. There weren't seats at the bar though ... that is awesome! I wonder if the demand will ever settle down to a more manageable/pleasant level. Haven't tried the charcuterie or the beer -- managed to snag a res for Oct so may check those out then!

It was so amazing, I feel very lucky to be able to experience it back in April while they were still limiting the number of people in there. Definitely more pleasant to not be squished in there, and having a seat was glorious! I wish they would keep it limited, maybe not as limited as in April, but at least limit it enough so we're not packed in like sardines!

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with going to at bar at 9am when in Disney!

Yes, I could have walked and gotten there before the next boat even showed up, but it had gotten so hot by then I had zero desire to walk any further than I needed to at that point! Plus being four days into my trip my legs were tired, after the past year of never going anywhere I was not used to walking that much!
That walk is doable but it is kind of long. It needs to be just a little bit shorter, especially in the middle of the day!

The 45 minute time limit flew by, and before I knew it the bartender let me know I only had 5 minutes left, but then he also gave me the option to order a third drink to go! I hadn’t realized they offered that before, but I loved the idea so got another Gold Squadron to go!
That is nice! Hopefully something they will keep doing.

That walk is doable but it is kind of long. It needs to be just a little bit shorter, especially in the middle of the day!

Exactly! In the morning it isn't bad with fresh legs and not in the blazing sun, but mid-day it's just a bit too long.

That is nice! Hopefully something they will keep doing.

I was so surprised the bartender offered! It was great to be able to get an extra drink to enjoy out in the park.

That looks really good and would be enough for a meal for one. :)

It was so good, I was surprised how much I liked it. It's hard to see in the picture but there was a bunch of grilled veggies on the plate and a handful of different cheeses and some really unique breads. Definitely enough for a meal!

One Month to Go!!!!

I cannot believe that I’m only a month away from my Disney trip! Yay!!! This trip came up super fast. I ended up deciding to fly in a day early after all the issues with my flights, and I’m happy to say my boss was totally cool with me taking a little extra time off. Phew!

In other news, I did something really stupid yesterday that I’m a tad worried may impact the Disney trip. I somehow ended up falling down the back stairs (don’t worry, only three steps) and landing HARD on one foot. Not just on one foot, but somehow that foot twisted when I landed so I basically landed on the top side of the foot, so it was just unnaturally twisted when I landed on it. Ugh. Yesterday I just walked it off and figured I just twisted my ankle a bit, but it was no big deal, and while it hurt a bit last night it was kind of like the kind of pain you get after stubbing your toe, it hurt, but it wasn’t serious (although to be fair when my dad stubbed his toe, he actually broke it, but this wasn’t THAT extreme pain!).

I went to bed not thinking much of it, and totally forgot about it until this morning when I went to get out of bed and almost collapsed on the floor from the pain. Turns out this morning I couldn’t put any weight on my foot without blinding pain. Uh oh.

Thankfully today was a work from home day, so I hopped my way downstairs and spent the morning with a bag of frozen peas on my foot. After a while it did start feeling a bit better, which is good because my dog was going crazy and I needed to take him for a walk. It was painful, and took super long since I was limping like crazy (for the first time in a while my old arthritic dog was moving faster than me!), but I did it!

At lunch I decided to do my workout still since it was very low impact. This is the first time in years I’ve made it over two months working out 6 days a week so I wasn’t willing to give that up for a busted foot! So I did the erg portion, which is super low impact so wasn’t bad, and then I just did weights while on the bench. (yes, I’ve been stocking up on gym equipment and have basically a full gym at home now, it’s awesome)

Amazingly, after the workout my foot felt so much better. It still hurt and I still couldn’t put all my weight on it, but it was so much better than this morning.

So I’m not sure what’s wrong with it. Funny enough it’s the same foot I broke years ago while windsurfing, and what has me a bit concerned was back then when it was broken it didn’t hurt nearly as much as it does now. (While it hurt back then, is was so mild that I didn’t even go to the doctor until about 3 weeks after breaking it, and that was simply because it was still crazy swollen…yes, I get scolded by doctors often).

I guess the thing that looks promising is that it’s only very mildly swollen, and not at all bruised. Every other time I’ve had a break or serious sprain it has swollen like crazy and has been super bruised. So I’m holding out hope that this is just a contusion…and yes, I can hear my doctor scolding me already. Anyways, fingers crossed this feels better tomorrow! If not I’ll get it checked out this week, don’t want to chance anything with the trip coming up!

Sounds like an amazing time at Oga's!

I'm so sorry about your foot! I hope that it's nothing serious and you feel ok!

I cannot believe that I’m only a month away from my Disney trip! Yay!!! This trip came up super fast. I ended up deciding to fly in a day early after all the issues with my flights, and I’m happy to say my boss was totally cool with me taking a little extra time off. Phew!
That was nice of your boss. What are your trip dates?

I guess the thing that looks promising is that it’s only very mildly swollen, and not at all bruised. Every other time I’ve had a break or serious sprain it has swollen like crazy and has been super bruised. So I’m holding out hope that this is just a contusion…
I was surprised that it felt better after working out. That must be a good sign, right? I hope it heals fast for you.

Sounds like an amazing time at Oga's!

It was so awesome! It's amazing how much more detail you can pick up when the place is empty.

I'm so sorry about your foot! I hope that it's nothing serious and you feel ok!

Thanks! Still not sure what's wrong with it, but I suspect it's not too serious since I can walk on it, it hurts and cracks with every step, but it's getting a bit better each day.

That was nice of your boss. What are your trip dates?

I know! I was actually really surprised, but glad he's cool with it. I'm heading down on September 9th, and my mom will join me on the 10th, and then we'll be there through the following weekend. Nice long trip to make up for the one cancelled last September. Cannot wait!

I was surprised that it felt better after working out. That must be a good sign, right? I hope it heals fast for you.

Right? So weird! It's definitely getting better though, so hopefully by the trip it doesn't hurt at all.

Oh no on your foot! I totally relate b/c I do not go to the doctor unless I have thoroughly exhausted all other options or I truly think death or dire consequences are imminent. :rolleyes: Sounds like you're on the mend and have a good bit of time before you have to put all those WDW steps in. Yay for an extra day! That's a great way to manage airline changes!!

Oh no on your foot! I totally relate b/c I do not go to the doctor unless I have thoroughly exhausted all other options or I truly think death or dire consequences are imminent. :rolleyes: Sounds like you're on the mend and have a good bit of time before you have to put all those WDW steps in. Yay for an extra day! That's a great way to manage airline changes!!

Haha, exactly! It takes a lot to get me to go to the doctor. So happy that it seems to be nothing serious, and that I have time to heal before the trip!

Hi everyone! :wave:

A new update is coming soonish, I’ve been so bad these last few months getting ahead with writing the updates, but I am aiming to get this TR finished before my next trip in LESS THAN THREE WEEKS!!!!! AHHHH!!!

Ok, just slightly excited.

It’s funny, I was thinking about this today, that in my previous job I felt like I had significantly more free time to do stuff like write TRs than I do now, but in reality, that’s not at all true. I was working obnoxious hours back then, nights and weekends constantly, and even went a 7 month stretch without having a single day off (like not even weekends). So it’s odd that now that I’m in an much easier job where I only actually need to work 8 hour days, I feel like I have less free time. Maybe I was just more efficient with my free time back when I had so little of it? Who knows, it’s just weird. Haha!

Anyways, new TR updates coming shortly!

In the meantime, just have to say how excited I am about this upcoming trip! We’re actually planning a slightly less busy trip than normal, we even have two full days at a cabana booked! I learned in April that without FP+ there was a lot more running around than we’re used to so it felt more exhausting, so we decided to build in some actual rest days so we’re not running around like crazy the whole time we’re there. We’re also doing some “slow” park mornings, where we’re not going to focus on rides, but instead get tons of pictures, do some shopping, and just take in the atmosphere. I’m beyond excited for those days!

In other news, my foot is not exactly doing well. It had been getting better, but then I had another little accident. So my dog has this annoying habit where he will just lay across the halls in my house and will not move so you have to step over him. The other day I was stepping over him, and he decided to stand up while I was, and of course I ended up tripping on him and came crashing down on my bad foot. Ugh. At least I can still walk on it, so that’s something, it just hurts a whole lot more now. I guess it’s good I still have a few weeks to heal!

And on a more positive note, I finally got my costumes put together for boo bash! The first night I will be a wilderness explorer, just received the shirt for that I ordered and it’s going to be super cute. The second night, since we’re eating at the California Grill before the event, I’m doing a bit more subtle of a costume and am going as a dalmatian. For that I have a black skirt and a polka dot shirt, and then of course my dalmatian ears (which will be donned after dinner). I’m super excited for this event. While the youtube videos I watched of the ones that have happened do look a lot more crowded than the DAH events we’ve attended in the past, it still doesn’t look bad at all crowd wise, so hoping for a lot of walk-on rides! Also glad we’re doing two since there does seem to be a lot to do in only three hours!

Anyways, that’s my update for the day, I’ll work on getting the next TR update out this weekend! Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Your costume plans sound great and I am in love with the idea of two cabana days!!! Rest your foot. Hope it's feeling better soon! I twisted my ankle prior to my last trip and ending up bringing with me some disposable ice packs that you just squeeze to activate (found on Amazon) and found them to be a lifesaver to put my foot up and ice after a day in the park and before dinner. Granted I drive to Disney so luggage space isn't as much of an issue, but I really think I will always pack a few going forward, just in case.

Your costume plans sound great and I am in love with the idea of two cabana days!!! Rest your foot. Hope it's feeling better soon! I twisted my ankle prior to my last trip and ending up bringing with me some disposable ice packs that you just squeeze to activate (found on Amazon) and found them to be a lifesaver to put my foot up and ice after a day in the park and before dinner. Granted I drive to Disney so luggage space isn't as much of an issue, but I really think I will always pack a few going forward, just in case.

Thanks! And yeah, I am soooo excited for two cabana days. We're doing the first mid week to break the week up, and then the second the day before we leave so we actually leave refreshed for once!

Good idea with the ice packs! I was thinking of grabbing ice from the ice machine, but the ice packs would be a lot less messy, and since I'm checking a bag I can just throw them in there. Thanks for the idea!

I hope your foot starts to feel better. Wow two Boo bash events, have fun! I love your costume ideas sounds perfect for the events

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter