Astro Orbiter update plus park report & pics!

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Very tired so this update will be brief.

Astro Orbiter news: A CM friend told me this morning that she's scheduled to work Astro Orbiters next Sunday. She wasn't sure if that meant that the attraction would be open but it certainly is a step towards full operating capacity.

The weather was gorgeous this morning. It warmed up later and became mildly uncomfortable but the park was wonderful for at least the first few hours.

Crowds were well below average, to our great pleasure and surprise. After being first on PP, Mr. Toad was a walk-on, as was Snow White. Dumbo was about a three-minute wait. We did five rounds of Buzz before we crossed the park for Pirates. At 9:30, that, too, was (still!) a walk-on!

The castle remains closed and its paths are only open to guests shortly after rope drop. That meant, of course, that we had to go the long way around (near Matterhorn) to get to PP. There were a handful of guests that trickled in from the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (that hack will always be a source of annoyance and I finally took it up with Guest Services at City Hall this afternoon. A subset of guests seem to be allowed access to the short cuts virtually every Sunday, despite countless assurances from CM to the rest of us that the side path(s) are closed). We managed to beat them, though, and were first in line for PP. However, after we'd weaved through the queue, the CM that led us opened the chain for a pair of guests that then slipped in front of us... and the other two or three hundred guests that were (rightfully) ahead of them. We protested sufficiently for them to reconsider that line-jump. They seemed to want to explain that they simply meant to join their family, which is fine and I don't doubt. It seemed momentarily, however, that they'd happily accept a bump to the front -- ahead of us and all of the others -- which is simply uncool and certainly discourteous.

We were fortunate to be asked to open the park this morning. Peter Tu (A.K.A. The Clapper Guy) was also invited to join us. It was a great way to start the day and only the second time I've been included in that.

Park open.jpg

First in the park.
IMG_9140.JPG

It's always fun to turn and watch as the crowd advances. This may be relevant to the ECV thread that's seen much activity in recent days. The dude on the left drove his ECV like he was an ambulance driver with both his mother and wife in the back . He was well ahead of other guests, as seen below. To reiterate a point I'd made in the thread reference above, ECVs are meant to put challenged/disabled guests on equal footing with able-bodied guests, not give them an advantage over them. We all know how this would end: the guy would speed to the front of an attraction... and then his extended family at the park for its annual reunion would then join him.

IMG_9145.JPG

IMG_9148.JPG

IMG_9158.JPG

Treats!
IMG_9165.JPG

The Treats Strike Back!
IMG_9166.JPG

Dedicated pin collectors.
IMG_9172.JPG

Buzz was reasonable today. Every single one of my (≈ 11) scores flowed through today. I broke 2M twice. One made it to the score board, the other blew past 2,096,000 and my score reset... which is still as maddening as ever.
IMG_9175.JPG

IMG_9187.JPG

One other thing I'd love to share: as I was in line for my last round of Buzz for the day, an adorable little girl (2.5? 3?) began to play peekaboo with me as she ducked behind the wall near where Buzz stands in the queue. Her two brothers soon joined in and in no time she, her brothers, parents and I all began to laugh as the game became increasingly manic. I love when those sorts of things happen at DL.

Lastly, as a complete aside, something I tweeted this morning has earned more than 1,500 likes so far. That's a new record for me! For interested parties, here it is. https://twitter.com/SkilledNapper/status/1114851762530181120

Last edited:
Did you still go the long way round for PP? (And thanks for the park pics... we are there in a week and it looks gorgeous!)

Did you still go the long way round for PP? (And thanks for the park pics... we are there in a week and it looks gorgeous!)
Yes. Still the long way :-(. Once the castle refurb is complete, we'll all (presumably) appreciate how short a trek it will be from rope to FL.

Great update! I am always amazed that even though I am not a local, it seems that I see or hear Peter every single day I am in the parks no matter what time of the year it is.

Wow ! That's fabulous you all got to open the park ! Awesome pictures. How is the attitude of the CM's at City Hall when you talk to them ? Yes, so frustrating when you do things right and others cut in front. I'm glad you had a good day !

Very tired so this update will be brief.

Astro Orbiter news: A CM friend told me this morning that she's scheduled to work Astro Orbiters next Sunday. She wasn't sure if that meant that the attraction would be open but it certainly is a step towards full operating capacity.

The weather was gorgeous this morning. It warmed up later and became mildly uncomfortable but the park was wonderful for at least the first few hours.

Crowds were well below average, to our great pleasure and surprise. After being first on PP, Mr. Toad was a walk-on, as was Snow White. Dumbo was about a three-minute wait. We did five rounds of Buzz before we crossed the park for Pirates. At 9:30, that, too, was (still!) a walk-on!

The castle remains closed and its paths are only open to guests shortly after rope drop. That meant, of course, that we had to go the long way around (near Matterhorn) to get to PP. There were a handful of guests that trickled in from the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (that hack will always be a source of annoyance and I finally took it up with Guest Services at City Hall this afternoon. A subset of guests seem to be allowed access to the short cuts virtually every Sunday, despite countless assurances from CM to the rest of us that the side path(s) are closed). We managed to beat them, though, and were first in line for PP. However, after we'd weaved through the queue, the CM that led us opened the chain for a pair of guests that then slipped in front of us... and the other two or three hundred guests that were (rightfully) ahead of them. We protested sufficiently for them to reconsider that line-jump. They seemed to want to explain that they simply meant to join their family, which is fine and I don't doubt. It seemed momentarily, however, that they'd happily accept a bump to the front -- ahead of us and all of the others -- which is simply uncool and certainly discourteous.

We were fortunate to be asked to open the park this morning. Peter Tu (A.K.A. The Clapper Guy) was also invited to join us. It was a great way to start the day and only the second time I've been included in that.

View attachment 393312

First in the park.
View attachment 393314

It's always fun to turn and watch as the crowd advances. This may be relevant to the ECV thread that's seen much activity in recent days. The dude on the left drove his ECV like he was an ambulance driver with both his mother and wife in the back . He was well ahead of other guests, as seen below. To reiterate a point I'd made in the thread reference above, ECVs are meant to put challenged/disabled guests on equal footing with able-bodied guests, not give them an advantage over them. We all know how this would end: the guy would speed to the front of an attraction... and then his extended family at the park for its annual reunion would then join him.

View attachment 393301

View attachment 393302

View attachment 393305

Treats!
View attachment 393306

The Treats Strike Back!
View attachment 393307

Dedicated pin collectors.
View attachment 393308

Buzz was reasonable today. Every single one of my (≈ 11) scores flowed through today. I broke 2M twice. One made it to the score board, the other blew past 2,096,000 and my score reset... which is still as maddening as ever.
View attachment 393309

View attachment 393310

One other thing I'd love to share: as I was in line for my last round of Buzz for the day, an adorable little girl (2.5? 3?) began to play peekaboo with me as she ducked behind the wall near where Buzz stands in the queue. Her two brothers soon joined in and in no time she, her brothers, parents and I all began to laugh as the game became increasingly manic. I love when those sorts of things happen at DL.

Lastly, as a complete aside, something I tweeted this morning has earned more than 1,500 likes so far. That's a new record for me! For interested parties, here it is. https://twitter.com/SkilledNapper/status/1114851762530181120
Love your Twitter handle. And ROFL!

Additional guests riding ECVs is dangerous to all guests. Shame on security for not stopping such a blatantly dangerous situation.

Amazing!
Maybe it's a Spring Break changeover day; everyone flying in and out on Sunday? I'm surprised the Deluxe AP didn't show up in force after Saturday blockout. So, will today (Monday) be packed?

Great pic of Hook walking through empty FL.

It seems like such a waste to have those beautiful blossoms on the trees....and the Castle all tarped up. Maybe pick another time Disney. And speaking of which...hasn't it been long enough? Are they building a whole new spire or something?

We are coming for our trip on Friday...my wife has a tough time getting up early enough for RD and I'm hoping she might let me come by myself or with just one or two (of our four) kids. I'd love to RD and do PP with you Rob.

In DCA, is there any evidence of PhilharMagic actually going to open soon? Announcement said April... we are going to be there from April 30 to May 2 and would love to see the show.

Great pictures and info! I remember reading that sometime recently, the Buzz animatronic was MIA. Is he still, or is he back? We have a trip planned at the end of April (Some the same days as @Steven G !) and my little ones would be in awe of a giant talking Buzz. :)

I remember reading that sometime recently, the Buzz animatronic was MIA. Is he still, or is he back?

Unfortunately, Buzz is still MIA. It’s been about four weeks now. As a matter of fact, we were in line for Buzz yesterday when a friend and I commented on how long he/it’s been down.

Unfortunately, Buzz is still MIA. It’s been about four weeks now. As a matter of fact, we were in line for Buzz yesterday when a friend and I commented on how long he/it’s been down.
Oh man! I hope he's back by our trip! (Says everyone, always, haha)

Oh man! I hope he's back by our trip!
Tell you what: feel free to message me closer to the time of your trip and I'll be happy to give you an update. I go the park nearly every Sunday... and definitely ride Buzz at least ten times per visit ;-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter