• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assistance needed

Timandalicia

DIS Veteran
Haven't been in ten years but go to Disney World every year.
What do people typically do at Disneyland instead of magic bands?
Do you have to get the early morning start to make Genie plus/Individual ride selections like you do at Disney World or does stuff not sell out as fast?
What are the first to go with Genie Plus/individual ride selections?

Haven't been in ten years but go to Disney World every year.
Do you have to get the early morning start to make Genie plus/Individual ride selections like you do at Disney World or does stuff not sell out as fast?

I am not sure about the Genie+ selections and all, but while they don't use Magic Bands, you will be given a paper ticket (a little cardboard card) and you scan that barcode for everything connected to your account. You can also use your phone to scan the barcode from the screen. It was announced that Disneyland would be getting Magic Bands at some point, but that has not materialized as of yet.

1. Before your visit you add your ticket to the Disneyland App. You create an account either on the website or App, log in and link a ticket.
  2. On your first day at the parks you show the CM at the gate the ticket barcode, either in the App, in your email on your phone or on the printed out email.
  3. The CM will scan the barcode, take your photo and the machine will print out a paper ticket about the size of a credit card.
  4. Scanning the barcode activates it in the App.
  5. You can then use the ticket in the App or the paper ticket to enter a park.
  6. To redeem Lightning Lanes, you can use the barcode in the App or the paper ticket at the ride scanners
No you do not have to get their early in the morning start to make Genie plus/Individual ride selections like you do at Disney World. They do not sell out at Disneyland California like they do in Walt Disney World. Everyone is on a level playing field, there is no onsite advantage.

As far as I know, its really only Rise of The Resistance that sells out, but thats like at about lunch time and thats only on high crowd days. In January I bought Rise of The Resistance Lightning Lanes around 5pm on both days.

Last edited:
  1. Before your visit you add your ticket to the Disneyland App. You create an account either on the website or App, log in and link a ticket.
  2. On your first day at the parks you show the CM at the gate the ticket barcode, either in the App, in your email on your phone or on the printed out email.
  3. The CM will scan the barcode, take your photo and the machine will print out a paper ticket about the size of a credit card.
  4. Scanning the barcode activates it in the App.
  5. You can then use the ticket in the App or the paper ticket to enter a park.
  6. To redeem Lightning Lanes, you can use the barcode in the App or the paper ticket at the ride scanners

No you do not have to get their early in the morning start to make Genie plus/Individual ride selections like you do at Disney World. They do not sell out at Disneyland California like they do in Walt Disney World. Everyone is on a level playing field, there is no onsite advantage.

As far as I know, its really only Rise of The Resistance that sells out, but thats like at about lunch time and thats only on high crowd days. In January I bought Rise of The Resistance Lightning Lanes around 5pm on both days.
Oh I ain’t getting there early. I meant do I have to set my alarm and rollover just to get on Rise. If you got it at 5, that says a lot. It’s sells out early at wdw… I’d say ohhh in 3 minutes. Sucks.
This all great info really appreciate it. Got my app all ready to go. I used my Apple Watch in wdw, so with the app I’ll at least be able to do that. Thanks for all the helpful info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter