Assistance from CMs....Am I a crazy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the CM's are at fault here for not being sympathetic and helpful enough, but I also think you may have not made your point to the CM's clearly enough. What I mean is, you should have been more straightforward with what you needed. For example:

"My son is clearly very sick. I need help immediately with this. I need help now please."

And if someone said "Exit this way" then you probably shouldn't exit until someone can clearly help you or call someone for help. The medical staff would have come and taken you to a center where they could have helped you properly.

If you're willing to move along, then the CM will think you are OK enough to not need assistance.

Obviously the CM's weren't properly trained, and they should have helped you, so I am not trying to blame you at all... but next time make sure you help yourself by being more forceful with your concerns.

I'd contact Guest Services with a complaint about the CM's though. They need to hear your story.

In hindsight, Ethan, you're probably right. I remember being in such shock that I didn't really know what to do or say. I couldn't even really form the right words or come up with what to ask. And also - I didn't want to be the ****** either, especially if there wasn't anything they could be expected to do, you know? It was probably partially a pride/embarassment issue from my perspective. I didn't want to cause MORE of an issue (my son had already puked up Living with the Land), and I usually like to handle things on my own to the best of my ability. I just didn't feel like I had any of the tools or place/space to be able to even handle things on my own, if that makes sense.

Also in hindsight: I have no idea why I didn't just go to the Baby Care center. We have been there a million times! I think it just felt like it was too far? Each place we tried was just "next to" wherever we were, and we were sure we'd find what we were looking for.

But, you know. Hindsight.

That sucks. Totally sucks, sorry. Not much they can do other than offer napkins. If I were covered in puke, I would spring for a taxi and head back to a shower, and quarante/rest the child. That sounds horrible.

I always try to keep a couple of gallon ziplocs and flushable wet wipes (for bathroom use, and during a recent flight, vomit cleanup). During our experience the flight attendants were great, and tried to help as much as possible, and gave us a big water bottle (along with sanitary wipes, trash bag, etc.).

I agree with PP, an email to guest relations, more with an angle of helping out future families vs. complaining, is a great idea.

BTDT a million times. My youngest gets car/motion sick easily and even when taking something has been known to spew mass amounts of puke everywhere. We went to the Smoky Mountains last summer and the house we rented was at the end of a 20 minute ride on a twisty road. We had problems every time we came to and from the house. We refer to at as the pukation. The one time I forgot the spare clothes bag and had to pop into a souvenir shop to get clothes for him.(where luckily a shirt was 9.99). I also had an awful moment in a Portillos drive thru with all teenagers around and was shocked how helpful they were. Brought me water for him, tons of napkins etc. I don't think you want someone to do much more than acknowledge it sucks and be sympathetic..and maybe give you a big handful of napkins.

Also in hindsight: I have no idea why I didn't just go to the Baby Care center. We have been there a million times! I think it just felt like it was too far? Each place we tried was just "next to" wherever we were, and we were sure we'd find what we were looking for.

But, you know. Hindsight.
I'm not sure they would have helped you at the Baby Center either. I tried taking my 4 yr old daughter there at Disneyland when she started throwing up because she had ripped the back of her pants and I think it was just nerves at the end of a weeks long vacation. They didn't want her anywhere near there! They said it was only for babies. They didn't even tell me to try the first aid center, which I have since decided is probably where I could have gotten help.

A Family/Companion restroom in the land is located across from the Soarin ride at the restroom there.

Ugh. So sorry this happened to you. You'd think that a theme park would be used to dealing with vomit.

I too am surprised that they didn't direct you to a first aid station or private restroom. Somewhere with a sink, paper towels, blow dryer and means to disinfect the place when you were done. (I'm sure you're far too modest to do what you really needed to do in a public restroom!) Then you could at least take a cab or bus back to the campground without being an obvious public health hazard.

Oh how awful! That is such a terrible thing to have to deal with especially on vacation. I would have felt like you, kind of like a fish out of water. where do I go? how do I fix this? should I apologize or just run? The cm's should have been able to direct you to the right place.

Honestly, I would have gathered everyone up and just left the park and go back to the hotel room as quickly as possible to shower and change and rest. Was he sick with a stomach bug?

I feel for you. I have three kids and have been puked on a lot. It happens...projectile, dribble and everything in between. In theme parks, in cars, in beds, at church, everywhere.

I absolutely do think the CMs could have shown more concern. And this would have been easy to do. But I also think you were way more flustered than one might be in a pretty minor situation.

Do you not carry baby wipes? Yes, you would have still had to change your clothes but that would have been step one. I have practically showered using only baby wipes before. And certainly you had access to wet paper towel. And it doesn't take two people to change a baby no matter how young they are. You strip them off, throw away the clothes, wipe them down and put on new clothes. So some of that was a little dramatic, no? After that, either going to first aid or returning to your room would seem appropriate. Why would you tour a park with a sick baby, especially when you didn't seemingly know why they were sick. Why risk having that happen again?

I'm sorry this happened to you and I do think there could have been some help forthcoming from SOMEONE.
Our experience this past December: Same thing happened to my DIL at HS, except it came out the other end of my DGD. She went to the nearest restroom, and tried to get the baby cleaned first. Each person in the bathroom grabbed a handful of paper towels and handed them to her as they exited. Very nice response! Then after cleaning up DGD my DIL turned her attentions to herself. She cleaned up as best as possible and went in search of clothes. A CM ran and got her a change of clothes from one of the stores (something we did not expect) and when my DIL offered to pay for them, she was told not to worry about it, it was on Disney. Had she met with the same indifference as the OP, she probably would would have cried, too.
While it is easy to say, jump on the bus and head back to your resort, everyone has to realize it is no fun to walk around with vomit/poop all over you, and in crowds such as we experienced in our last visit, my DIL would not have relished the thought of having to board a bus and ride with others in such close quarters smelling to high heaven.

Ugh, that's awful. I remember we were in Le Cellier once and one of my kids was like "Mom?" and we ran out and they puked over on the side (I tried to get as far away from the buildings as I could). I was horrified just thinking if I hadn't made it out of there!

I get what you are saying, that it seemed like they didn't care, and that's not cool. And it is how many of them are now unfortunately. Not knowing where the Companion Restrooms are is a problem, that is a very basic need for many people.

OTOH, and maybe I haven't read the thread carefully enough, I don't get exactly what you wanted them to do for you after the puke happened? Other than showers and clean clothes for everyone, there really wasn't a solution. But I agree with you, the main problem was that no one seemed to care, regardless of what they could actually do about it.

I think it would be great if they have more reasonably-priced options for pants/shorts that get ruined though.

I am not surprised, but not in a negative way.

No way for CMs to know anything other than this is a biohazard. No, the ride person isn't going to stop and clean it up--they will call some one to do that.

I don't think Disney should catch flack for not being quite as helpful as you think they should. It is not their duty to have clothing for sale conveniently in the off chance of your experience.

That said--first aid is where you can go next time. They will be helpful. They have folks trained for this sort if thing. I had a child that was repeatedly vomiting once. It was evident we needed to leave by the time I got to first aid to get her out of the crowds. They offered to get us a van and take us back to our resort. I had a real concern for my child and for other guests and we agreed that busses would be a very bad idea. So we had a free direct door to door ride back to our room. (Felt bad for the barber shop guests that day--this was our motion sickness puker. Once didn't make us flinch and we began dealing and I went to go buy her a replacement shirt. But the repeats sent us to first aid.)

It sounds like much time was wasted in hoping Disney would help you. In 6 hours, we would have opted to return to our room to finish cleaning up and assess if returning to the parks was a good idea. But again--with the resident puker (since she was 17 months old-all typically motion sickness)--we have gotten quite adept at managing the puke even when ill prepared to do so. That day was due to illness though, so all bets were off. But I didn't expect much from Disney. I don't expect much from anyone. So we headed to first aid where I expect medical assessment and opinion for triaging the situation.

It sounds like, aside from your hygiene issue, that you didn't think the vomiting was a medical issue when it essentially is--even if just a temporary hiccup in the day. I don't want a CM who is NOT custodial staff messing with the protein spill at all. I would prefer they treat it as a medical event and when the guest gives no indication assistance is needed, I don't expect them to insist you have it. By redirecting you to a different exit and keeping guests away from the vomit, they are doing their diligence of keeping other guests safe.

And in reality--once you were in the bathroom, I don't know what you expected fellow guests to do if you were not actively having a medical emergency. You said other guests didn't offer to help you? If you were where water, soap, and paper towels were available, what was your expectation of fellow guests? You say you had none but then commented on the customer service. I guess I am confused.

I'm not understanding what anyone could have done...

Your kid puked - clean them off and change their clothes. They directed you to a store and bathroom. YOU just didn't want to spend the $ on the items they had. Why not just return to your resort and change?

Did you expect them to give you free shorts and fastpasses?

OP. You have my profound sympathy.
You've already gotten some grumpy responses and you're bound to get more.

For each of the PP who start in with "what did you expect?" I counter that I'd have expected a CM to point them to First Aid, or childcare, or a confirmed companion bathroom, or to somewhere (specific & accurate) she could have purchased clothes. Not the "get them outta my zone" treatment it appears they had gotten.

I have six kids and stories of my own. And I'm sorry your day went in that direction.

I totally get it, have been there done that, if we were staying on site I would have returned to my room and showered, changed and returned refreshed. The amount of vomit you described I would have been worried that a second episode was coming and would have rather been in my room if that were to happen. I probably would have returned after dinnertime. I don't think there is much that cm's could do.

For each of the PP who start in with "what did you expect?" I counter that I'd have expected a CM to point them to First Aid, or childcare, or a confirmed companion bathroom, or to somewhere (specific & accurate) she could have purchased clothes. Not the "get them outta my zone" treatment it appears they had gotten.

:thumbsup2

The very first CM should've recognized that there was a problem, and advised OP to head straight to First Aid. There, OP should've been able to change the baby's clothes and spot clean her own in a private place. (This might've involved removing her own pants, washing them in a sink with soap, then using a hand dryer. NOT something that should be done in a public restroom that wouldn't be disinfected immediately after.) Then, Disney should've offered a ride back to her resort.

Not doing the above... leaving her to clean up in public restrooms, walk around the park soaked in vomit, and/or take public transportation put OTHER guests at risk for catching an illness. Gross.

I have six kids and stories of my own. And I'm sorry your day went in that direction.

She complained about the inadequate amount if clothing for sale within her budget and even had a complaint about fellow guests in the bathroom.

I am curious of where you are seeing this grumpiness?
Her premise is she wanted more assistance and it all boils down to a bathroom misdirection and clothes being too expensive. :confused3

Responding matter of factly with personal experience does not equate to grumpiness in my world.

I do wonder what prevented her husband from taking the son to clean him up while she cleaned him up on the closest immediately available rest room. Kid may have wanted mommy--but no way would I have been trekking looking for a companion restroom. Closest means to immediately handle the issue is what I would seek. To me, that isn't grumpy--that is logical.

Heck, she went to the host or hostess at the restaurant on the second floor completely bypassing the bathrooms near Soarin' to do just that. I don't understand that.

I don't know what the CMs were expected to do by way of "assistance" for her. Have you any suggestions?

I think the CM's are at fault here for not being sympathetic and helpful enough, but I also think you may have not made your point to the CM's clearly enough. What I mean is, you should have been more straightforward with what you needed. For example:

"My son is clearly very sick. I need help immediately with this. I need help now please."

And if someone said "Exit this way" then you probably shouldn't exit until someone can clearly help you or call someone for help. The medical staff would have come and taken you to a center where they could have helped you properly.

If you're willing to move along, then the CM will think you are OK enough to not need assistance.

Obviously the CM's weren't properly trained, and they should have helped you, so I am not trying to blame you at all... but next time make sure you help yourself by being more forceful with your concerns.

I'd contact Guest Services with a complaint about the CM's though. They need to hear your story.

I'm just going to take your post at face value but are you really suggesting that the OP have EMT's and/or an ambulance called. Because they are the only mobile medical staff on property.

But OP I think you got some good advise if this happens again.

What I mean is, you should have been more straightforward with what you needed. For example:

Just a caution, we had an emergency situation while in the parks. My son overheated, and had what we now know is a type of seizure (it basically looked like a bad meltdown, but it wasn't). My mother and I asked seven different CM to call 911 or the EMTs. All we got were directions to First Aid. We couldn't get reception at that time to call ourselves, and truthfully we too panicked to really think through how to get help.

I'd don't know that insisting would have gotten you help. We pretty much learned that we are on our own in the case of emergency and to have a plan.

I'm sorry this happened to you and I do think there could have been some help forthcoming from SOMEONE.
Our experience this past December: Same thing happened to my DIL at HS, except it came out the other end of my DGD. She went to the nearest restroom, and tried to get the baby cleaned first. Each person in the bathroom grabbed a handful of paper towels and handed them to her as they exited. Very nice response! Then after cleaning up DGD my DIL turned her attentions to herself. She cleaned up as best as possible and went in search of clothes. A CM ran and got her a change of clothes from one of the stores (something we did not expect) and when my DIL offered to pay for them, she was told not to worry about it, it was on Disney. Had she met with the same indifference as the OP, she probably would would have cried, too.
While it is easy to say, jump on the bus and head back to your resort, everyone has to realize it is no fun to walk around with vomit/poop all over you, and in crowds such as we experienced in our last visit, my DIL would not have relished the thought of having to board a bus and ride with others in such close quarters smelling to high heaven.

This is a lovely story (the response....not the initial event!), and I'm so glad that your DIL had this experience - which I would consider truly magical, in that situation!

To those who seemingly would have done something different in my situation, and feel the need to tell me exactly how, I don't feel terribly obligated to justify my feelings on how I was treated or how I should have been, more than I already have. That said, I'm certain some of you didn't actually read the whole thread, because I answered many of your questions ("What were you expecting from them?" and "Why didn't you return to your resort", for example) and concerns already.

However, as an additional example....

And in reality--once you were in the bathroom, I don't know what you expected fellow guests to do if you were not actively having a medical emergency. You said other guests didn't offer to help you? If you were where water, soap, and paper towels were available, what was your expectation of fellow guests? You say you had none but then commented on the customer service. I guess I am confused.

She complained about the inadequate amount if clothing for sale within her budget and even had a complaint about fellow guests in the bathroom.

Lisa, I absolutely was not complaining about my fellow guests in the bathroom. If you go back and read the thread, I was responding to another poster who was questioning my avoiding eye contact with other guests when I got off the ride (because, it's embarassing to get puked on in public). That poster suggested that had I perhaps made eye contact with other guests, they would have been helpful and maybe even "offered to hold the baby". My response to that poster was that there's no way anyone would have - or should have - offered to hold my vomit-covered baby, and as an example of that, I gave the numerous other guests in the bathroom who were aware of the situation. My comment to "customer service" is that it's not the job of the other guests to provide excellent customer service - the Disney company, however, prides and markets itself on excellent customer service at its theme parks, so I would have expected more of that from CMs - NOT from other guests.

I do wonder what prevented her husband from taking the son to clean him up while she cleaned him up on the closest immediately available rest room. Kid may have wanted mommy--but no way would I have been trekking looking for a companion restroom. Closest means to immediately handle the issue is what I would seek. To me, that isn't grumpy--that is logical.

Again, read what was posted. We did this. However (and I didn't make this part clear), the diaper bag was with the stroller outside in the stroller parking of The Land. We had limited resources at that initial bathroom. After we went outside to get the stroller and diaper bag, we asked for a companion restroom so that both of us could handle the situation together AND so that I could strip off my pants and clean them to the best of my ability, something that I'm sure would have gotten plenty of looks in a busy public bathroom.

To those who asked about his sickness (I didn't respond to this one yet), and why I didn't take him out of the parks - he seemed otherwise completely fine and was acting normal. Given that he was eating a lot of weird things on vacation that he doesn't normally eat, I figured it was something he ate.

To the sympathetic posters, thank you for your sincere support and kind responses!

(To the comment about baby wipes....I'd love to know what kind of baby wipes you used. Indeed, I had them. And used them. Lots of them. But my kind of baby wipes do not get vomit stuck in zippers and seams and pockets very well. I apparently have been using the wrong kind of baby wipes all along....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter