ASMovies room size

cinderellasmom

Earning My Ears
Currently I have two adjoining rooms reserved for myself, dh and dd's 5 & 7. We had decided to cancel one of the rooms prior to the trip, but now (after reading the 2003 Unofficial Disney guide and other posts) I am getting worried that the room is very small!

If I hold my reservation until check in and then decide to cancel the other room, am I obligated to pay only the one night? or more??

Also, is there a table and chairs in the room like typical hotel rooms?

Thanks!

I have not stayed in ASMovies yet I am heading down on Oct13 thru the 21. But last year I stayed at ASMusic with my wife son & Daughter 3 & 2. Yes the rooms are small so having the connecting rooms would be helpful but your paying for two rooms instead of one. We did not have a problem with the room size. Would it have been nice to have a bigger room? Sure but it did not pose a problem. As for table and chairs in the room, I think they did but if you are looking for a family breakfast each morning I think they will be too small. The food court is outstanding, good food, ok prices, quick service. Maybe you could put that saved money and upgrade to a different hotel with larger rooms. I don't know which ones are bigger but someone on this board will. It seems there are many Disney Vets on line. I don't know when you are going but they are running a great special right now at the Dolphin and Swan for teachers, govt. workers and nurses. You should be able to change your Reservations with ample notice. Bottom line, my thoughts on the matter. I have traveled quite a bit and have stayed at some very nice hotels, but since I have gotten married and money is a little tighter I have come to realize how much time do you actually spend in your room? Especially at a place like Disney. You sleep, shower and head to the park. If room size is important to you try to move your res to another resort. Good luck and have a great trip.

There is a small table with 2 chairs, like a normal hotel room. The rooms are OK if you just plan on sleeping, napping and maybe eating breakfast there. If you plan on having guests or anything they could be a bit small.

Last year, we stayed in ASMovies for one night. It was just my DH and I but we thought it was a little on the small side. Don't get me wrong, we had plenty of room, but we did comment on how a family could feel a little cramped in those rooms.

Instead of two rooms at the All Stars, you may want to consider one room at a moderate. They are quite a bit larger (and alot nicer!).

I have to say that if you just plan on sleeping and showering you should be fine, but if you plan on "hanging out" there, it's definately too small. The rooms are approx 250 square feet, which is VERY small in my opinion. The beds are only doubles, and I think they are smaller, but my opinion. Would I stay at an All-Stars again, probably not, unless it was FREE!! I liked the resort and the food court, but the rooms were just too small in my opinion, and that was before we joined DVC. Hey, I think the rooms at the GF are just o.k. in size so maybe my opinion is a little warped. If you book two rooms, I believe you'd only be on the hook for the one night deposit, if you cancelled right there, but you'd have to check into both rooms first before you cancelled the other one. I agree with the other posters, if you're really worried about the size of the rooms, look into one of the moderates, or the S/D.

I find them absolutely claustrophobic.

Anne

My DH and I think the room size is fine for just the two of us. But I think it would be cramped for 4 people.

Well... ive had two different experiences w/ the all star rooms...

1. My family of 3-- plus me... w/ my mom, dad, and brother(11) all packed into a room that size for a wk it was kinda a test of our tolerance level... lol (if looking into a moderate hotel is an option: not only do are the rooms just enough bigger to make a diff, i know not only does CSR have the normal slide, but it also has things like surrey bikes, and a beach... not to mention a MUCH different feel!!... in my opinion the all stars are not really a relaxing resort, but an on-the-go powerhouse.. they always seem so hetic! lol

2. My two friends-- plus me... this was different b/c not only was it more like a big sleep over, but it was only three, plus it was only for two nights! it still would have been nice to have a larger room, and recently renovated room.. we stayed at the all star music (calypso) this past july and it was showing some signs of wear; however it did just fine for the three of us... (and i think the rest of my family enjoyed having only three in their room, too! lol)

Overveiw: it would work to go in one, but i think two rooms would be even more comfortable, and a moderate would be even better...

We are a family of three and fit fine in the ASMo rooms. With two little girls you should be ok space wise if your plan is to spend little time in the room. If you just want a place to sleep, go with one room at the ASMo. If you want a seperate area so that the girls can go to bed early, nap etc. the two rooms might be ideal. I am not sure if they will assure you adjoining rooms when you have two adults in your party. You might want to check to make sure. They will make that request but assure it if there are more children than there are adults to be in each room. If money is not too tight you might want to consider one room at a moderate or a deluxe. A nicer resort and not too much more that two rooms at the ASMo. Depends on what is important to you.

Jordan's mom

First of all, when are you going?
Did you get a good discount?

CBR has nice, large rooms, but is closed now through mid- December. I would try to get a discount at the mods or at WL or AKL.

I think the rooms at AS can seem small to large people. I am very small (5'1" and 105lbs). If my kids were my size, yes it would be too small!!!!You have to think about all of your stuff,too. If you aren't paying much for the rooms and can swing two rooms, I woudl do it.

We had 3 adults, a 4.5yo and a 1.5 yo in ASMO with no problem whatsoever. We even had a crib and a double carriage stored in the room and it worked out fine.
And I should add I am the type of person who cant stand campers or trailers and would never be able to spend even 1 night in one because of the size.
I agree with the others though. If you plan to spend a lot of time haging out in your room, and eating a lot of meals there, there may not be much room for that. But, for sleeping, showering, and changing they are perfectly fine, IMO.

I would check out the discounts at the moderate resorts. The rooms at Coronado Springs and Riverside are bigger, and one of these may cost less than 2 of the smaller rooms. We have stayed at both of these resorts and really liked them. They have wonderful pools and beautiful grounds. Coronado Springs has a beautiful lake and a huge pool my kids loved, complete with a great slide that was gentle enough for Mom. These properties have boats to rent, bicycles, and lots of quiet pools. We stayed at Coronado Springs in July for $114 a night, which was less than the cost of 2 rooms at the AllStars. I also found the resort "peaceful." It never felt busy or crowded. Riverside has a nice food court and Coronado has a semi-sit-down marketplace which will cost more than the food court, if that matters to you.

I think you will be fine with one room, too. We have stayed at ASMu & ASMo in one room (DH, DD who was 15 & 18, DS, who was 13 & 16, and myself). For the amount of time we spent in the room (and we did eat breakfast in there each morning), it was fine.

We have stayed there several times, and it doesn't seem any smaller than the hotels we stay at on the way down. They are small, but not terribly so if you are out of the room most of the time.

Although, I am used to tripping over my husband and children's stuff at home all the time anyway.

It really depends on what you are used to, how much time you plan to spend in the room, and how much stuff you are bringing with you. If you have many pieces of luggage, a cooler and lots of toys for your kids, it may seem pretty cramped.

Sam

Well, I feel compelled to answer this post, just so you'll have another view.

My husband (6"4", 200 lbs), my son (5'9", 115lbs and still growing!) and myself (medium build -- that's as much as you need to know!) have used the All Star Resorts many, many times, including the Movies. We spend A LOT of time in our room, sleeping and hanging out watching the Japanese channel.

We are three adult sized people, and we have never felt cramped in an All Star room. Moreover, we have been ASTONISHED at how, as you go up the price ladder at WDW, the rooms do not get appreciably larger. When we stayed at POR and CSR, we couldn't help but notice that the rooms appeared to us to be exactly the same size. Even the deluxes, while slightly larger, are not in our opionion MUCH larger. Certainly not enough (again in our opinion) to justify three times the cost. At most they appear to be about a third again larger. Perhaps the official square footage difference is bigger, but you would have to count balcony and hall space, which I don't consider to be perceived "room space".

Of course, everyone is different, and I think what you EXPECT to find is often what you DO find. Although, maybe not. We expected to finder larger moderate and deluxe rooms and didn't, so I've disproved my own theory.

Originally posted by cinderellasmom
If I hold my reservation until check in and then decide to cancel the other room, am I obligated to pay only the one night? or more??
Since they have a 5 day cancel policy, I am guessing that you would be required to pay for 5 days.

We're a family of four and we've stayed at the ASMu and ASMo. They are small, but when you're at Disney you really don't spend a lot of time in your room. We really didn't feel that cramped. They provide enough drawer space so you can get all your clothes in the drawers and there's space by the side of the sink where you can put your luggage. If you're really looking to save money, I would stick with one room. They're really not that small.

Originally posted by musicfan
Moreover, we have been ASTONISHED at how, as you go up the price ladder at WDW, the rooms do not get appreciably larger. When we stayed at POR and CSR, we couldn't help but notice that the rooms appeared to us to be exactly the same size. Even the deluxes, while slightly larger, are not in our opionion MUCH larger. Certainly not enough (again in our opinion) to justify three times the cost. At most they appear to be about a third again larger. Perhaps the official square footage difference is bigger, but you would have to count balcony and hall space, which I don't consider to be perceived "room space".

I have to disagree with a lot of what you are saying here. First of all, the deluxes are a LOT larger than the values. The values are 260 square feet, the Poly for example is about 410 square feet. That's a BIG difference!! And no, it doesn't count the hall or balcony, that is ridiculous. It might not seem at first glance that there is more room space. The deluxes have queen beds, which are a lot larger than you standard double. They also generally have a day bed. But even with the added furnishings there is more space. There is a real closet to store things in rather than a hang bar. IMHO having your stuff all piled there just makes the room look messy, no matter how neatly it's stacked.

It's not just the room space you're paying for though. You are paying for themed pools, health clubs, additional restaurant selection, location, generally more shopping selections, nicer quality furnishings, better toiletries, on-site childcare, the list goes on and on. It also is interior corridors, no cheerleaders and school groups making a lot of noise in the middle of the night, and no hearing your neighbors turbo toilet flushing all night. It includes personal bell service, no waiting for a baggage truck to laod up and deliver, valet parking, and concierge service if you are so inclined. A deluxe also offers something more than a room to sleep in. It offers a complete resort with recreational activities, tours, storytelling, and more. It offers rooms with a view of more than a pool, another building, or a parking lot.

I guess it depends on what is important to you. For me, I like a quiet room with high quality furnishings rather than laminated pressboard, a minimum of queen beds, a shower without a soap dispenser hung on the wall, and a hairdryer and iron without having to wait for housekeeping. I can't get that at the value resorts. I'm happy to pay for it at a deluxe.

I want my hotel room to be at least as nice and comfortable as my home, preferably nicer. And very clean. Otherwise I'd just as soon stay home.

Anne

Originally posted by musicfan

We are three adult sized people, and we have never felt cramped in an All Star room. Moreover, we have been ASTONISHED at how, as you go up the price ladder at WDW, the rooms do not get appreciably larger. When we stayed at POR and CSR, we couldn't help but notice that the rooms appeared to us to be exactly the same size. Even the deluxes, while slightly larger, are not in our opionion MUCH larger. Certainly not enough (again in our opinion) to justify three times the cost. At most they appear to be about a third again larger. Perhaps the official square footage difference is bigger, but you would have to count balcony and hall space, which I don't consider to be perceived "room space".

Of course, everyone is different, and I think what you EXPECT to find is often what you DO find. Although, maybe not. We expected to finder larger moderate and deluxe rooms and didn't, so I've disproved my own theory.

POR and CSR are both moderate resorts ~ and it's my understanding that their rooms ARE the same size ~ 314 square feet which is larger than the All Stars. CBR's rooms are 340, so those are a little larger than the other moderate resorts.

~Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter