Asked this question before about buying DVC..

babesboo99

Veteren Disney Vacationer
I could not find the post so I thought I would ask the question again. My husband and I are buying points at BCV. I guess my question is would it be better to buy now or after the new year? If we buy now will we get the points from our use year or do they go from the month you bought. Our use year would be Sept not sure how this would work .

Points for a Sept. Use year are replenished every Sept 1st. Usually the annual maintenance fees are paid by the person who gets the points, but any deal can be different. I don't think calendar year has much impact on your decision unless you have tax implications.

If adding on through Disney, you will get points for the current UY. In your case, that would be Sept 2011 UY points.

MF's start from the day you purchase so if you bought in December, you would owe MF's for 2011 for the number of days in December you own those points.

If you wait until 2012 to purchase, your MF's will start from that date forward. If you have no need to have the points before January, then waiting will save you about a months worth of MF's.

If you are buying resale, then it would all depend on what the contract has with it.

We did the research and Dh and I thought it best to buy direct through disney. just curious as to how the point thing would work if I bought in december or waited till january

We did the research and Dh and I thought it best to buy direct through disney. just curious as to how the point thing would work if I bought in december or waited till january

You would save on some maintenance dues because they are charged from the day you buy. On the other hand, you can make a reservation with the points from the day you buy so if you wait you have to wait to make a reservation. If you are not ready to make a reservation, you can wait until you are.

There's really no advantage either way -- you're still going to get 2011 points. As mentioned previously, it will be the matter of paying prorated maintenance fees. Happy to see you are now able to move forward with your membership. :thumbsup2

We bought in Jan. 2010 and got a Dec. use year. So they gave us 2009 pts as a bonus.
Nancy

Yes, My Dh and I are very happy now that we can move on I guess it will be alot to learn but we have been looking forward to this since we stayed at the resorts. I just hope all goes well this time.

We are going to buy direct Monday, and they are telling us to get 2011 points we have to back date to July...so we will have a July use year.

We are going to buy direct Monday, and they are telling us to get 2011 points we have to back date to July...so we will have a July use year.

You will have the same UY until you sell the contract. I would make sure that July will work for your vacation patterns. If it doesn't, put pressure on your Guide, tell him/her that you won't buy because you need a XXXX UY and you want some developer points to make up for the July point loss.

Let us know what they say.

:earsboy: Bill

There is no July use year (or January, May, November). Maybe it's an August use year, which will expire July 31. Which resort? They may only have certain use years left. Usually they allow you to backdate up to 11 months, like you could possibly still get December 2010 before the end of this month.

We bought in Jan. 2010 and got a Dec. use year. So they gave us 2009 pts as a bonus.
Nancy
No...you were IN your 2009 Use Year. They gave you NOTHING. You just got what you paid for -- no bonus.

There's no such thing as a "free lunch."

You'd better take a deep breath, put buying on "pause" for a week or two, and figure out what you're really getting into.

Assuming it's really an August UY, you are IN your 2011 Use year -- which runs from August 1, 2011 to July 31, 2012.

If you buy an August UY, you are simply getting the 2011 points you are entitled to.

They are giving you absolutely NOTHING. They'll try to make you think you're getting something for nothing, but you are NOT.

Remember...they are TIMESHARE sales people. Never lose sight of that fact.

Maybe it was June then. =)
Calling again this afternoon to get the ball rollin', and hope to play a little hardball. Gonna tell them to "make me" not just buy resale too. Guess we'll see how it goes. ( Would prefer to have all the options buying direct does, but might could live with the limits on resale too)

We are looking at either Old Key West, cause of the bigger room sizes and a 1 bdrm sleeps 5, or Saratoga Springs because it's the cheapest per point, but doesn't offer then 5 sleeper 1 bdrm yet. Although one of the guys at DVC told me eventually all the DVC resort would be getting that chair sleeper added to the rooms.

Thx, Jim. Yeah, I realize what's going on, was just responding to the OP and saying what they "offered" me.

Rest assure I have researched this till blue in the face. Never thought I'd know so much about DVC and all the resorts and such. Just at the do it or not phase now.

Maybe it was June then. =)
Calling again this afternoon to get the ball rollin', and hope to play a little hardball. Gonna tell them to "make me" not just buy resale too. Guess we'll see how it goes. ( Would prefer to have all the options buying direct does, but might could live with the limits on resale too)

We are looking at either Old Key West, cause of the bigger room sizes and a 1 bdrm sleeps 5, or Saratoga Springs because it's the cheapest per point, but doesn't offer then 5 sleeper 1 bdrm yet. Although one of the guys at DVC told me eventually all the DVC resort would be getting that chair sleeper added to the rooms.
If you're looking at OKW or SSR, and you've done your homework, you know you can buy those resorts resale for HALF what you'll pay direct...right?

Also, there is no "playing hardball" when buying direct. The price is the price. DVC does not negotiate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter