Ask your San Diego questions here

My Dh, dd(12) and i are going to San Diego for my Dh conference next month. We have 1 free day to tour either Sea World or San Diego Zoo. If you had a choice, which would you choose, and why??

Thanks!!

Can you tell me of a nice hotel on a beach a little north of San Diego, but still close to Legoland area? We're not looking to save money, but we don't want something thats not kid-friendly either. Any suggestions?

Bmwdsny said:
My Dh, dd(12) and i are going to San Diego for my Dh conference next month. We have 1 free day to tour either Sea World or San Diego Zoo. If you had a choice, which would you choose, and why??
If you've never been to either, then I would recommend the Zoo. It's one of the best in the world and just so much to do! Even though I love Sea World and the one in SD is the best imho, they are all over the country and you can see Shamu or a relative at any one of the parks. The SD Zoo has no equivalent.

I used to live right across from Sea World, and have returned to visit both SW and the zoo regularily. We were at the zoo on Sunday (Jan 8) and I would recommend that over SW. The zoo is cheaper, and has more bang for the buck. Pick up a discount coupon at any hotel and then buy the "best buy" ticket. This gives you unlimited bus and skytram use. Well worth it if you have one day, because you can visit almost everywhere easily without wearing yourself out walking up and down hill.

There are a couple of fantastic shows going on right now... the sea lion show and the cheetah/wolf show are both pretty cool.

I still love SW but it feels more "themepark" and less animal oriented every time I return.

Thank you!! i will take into consideration to go SD Zoo instead of SW, although my DD insist on going to SW. She loves SW in Orlando. Is it pretty much the same as the one in Orlando?? the shows and all???

Bmwdsny said:
She loves SW in Orlando. Is it pretty much the same as the one in Orlando?? the shows and all???
I love the SW in SD best as it's actually on the SEA and is just beautiful down by the harbor. It's not as theme parky (is that a word?) as the one in Orlando since it's not competing with Disney and Universal, but if I could only choose one I'd still go with the zoo.

I found this thread in my research and I thought I would bump it up (it's a big bump)....planning a trip to DL and San Diego....so...

Any recommendations on restaurants in Mission Bay?

No one has answered a previous poster's question about time needed to see the zoo. Anyone care to comment on this? Ours would be a first visit, and we will be in SD for the day only.

I recommend one day for the Zoo, depending on how much you like animals. I haven't been there in a while but from what I can remember, it was always a day trip, even leaving late in the morning and coming home around dinnertime. My dinner suggestion for Mission Bay is to just go over to Old Town and have dinner in one of their many wonderful restaurants. None of them are bad as far as I can remember. Keep in mind though I haven't been there in three years.

Looking for a safe, central hotel (close to the zoo and SW) for two nights in August. We'd like to find a very inexpensive hotel, not fuss just need it to be clean and in a safe location. Driving from SK Canada and not at all familiar with the areal. Any help?? Thanks

Is it worth travelling across the boarder to Tijuana? I was thinking about spending a day there with 3 young kids. I've heard stories about safety being an issues, but we would stick to the tourist strip.

Looking for a safe, central hotel (close to the zoo and SW) for two nights in August. We'd like to find a very inexpensive hotel, not fuss just need it to be clean and in a safe location. Driving from SK Canada and not at all familiar with the areal. Any help?? Thanks

We always stay here http://www.oldtown-inn.com/ and pan to stay there again this July.
It is inexpensive, clean and has a free breakfast with fresh waffles and fruit and other breakfast staples. It is right down the street from the 5 freeway which gets you most everywhere and is also a short walk from Old Town and the Old Town hub of the public transit system of trolley, bus and train.
It is not in a pretty neighborhood, kind of an industrial look to it, but my husband and I have walked from to and From Old Town and the transit stop very late at night and never had a problem or felt unsafe.
Hope that helps.

Is it worth travelling across the boarder to Tijuana? I was thinking about spending a day there with 3 young kids. I've heard stories about safety being an issues, but we would stick to the tourist strip.

I would not recommend taking young kids to TJ. Not only for safety reasons, but there is a lot of walking involved and if they get tired, you don't want to be carrying them while standing in line at the border.

Has anyone ever stayed in the center Gaslamp Quarter? What's it like there and is it safe there? The accommodations are relatively inexpensive and I want to know if there is a reason why.
Thanks

Bumping this question. What is the Gaslamp section? Where is the best section to stay in SD? Downtown, Hotel Circle, Gaslamp? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

I would even stay out of TJ as an adult right now! No way, no how, would I ever take a kid there!

-Bob

I would even stay out of TJ as an adult right now! No way, no how, would I ever take a kid there!

-Bob

The media has totally blown the problems in Mexico way overboard. TJ is much the same as its always been. When theres a shooting in Mexico people say OMG, not going there, if theres the same in Los Angeles its just part of the daily news.

most of the local military has deemed TJ OFF LIMITS to all personnel.

I'd say there was PLENTY to be concerned about across the border

Gaslamp: LOTS of shopping/restaurants. one of our favorite areas( also Little Italy and Old Town)

Hotel Circle is fine if you have your own transportation and don't mind the proximity to the major roads. Gaslamp is more walking friendly as is Old Town. Downtown can be crowded but is close to public transportation.

Balboa has plenty to do besides the zoo. I love the little cottages( all free but only open on weekends) and each of the museums have one day free admission( forget whether its one day a week free..like on tuesday the auto one is free, etc)

sometimes they have concerts and movies by the conservatory.

Thanks for this. We were in SD 2 years ago, at the end of August. This year, we are planning of going to SD at the end of December. While I am already trying to get a general plan for the 9 dates we will be there, every place we intend to go to says they have holiday hours, but subject to change. How much shorter days or closing days should we expect during the holidays?

My family and I are staying in Pacific beach the second week of June.
1. We love good local food. Any suggestions? We will have a car but don't want to drive too much.
2. Surf lessons for 12 year old DD?
3. Are we staying in an appropriate spot? We want to be right on the ocean and be able to walk around a lot. Hotel Coronado does not appeal to me since it is very expensive for a suite and we need atleast a 1 bedroom place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter