Ask your San Diego questions here

My family and I are staying in Pacific beach the second week of June.
1. We love good local food. Any suggestions? We will have a car but don't want to drive too much.
2. Surf lessons for 12 year old DD?
3. Are we staying in an appropriate spot? We want to be right on the ocean and be able to walk around a lot. Hotel Coronado does not appeal to me since it is very expensive for a suite and we need atleast a 1 bedroom place.

Look at a map to make sure your hotel is on the ocean. The Pacific Beach neighborhood stretches quite a bit inland and there are some hotels considered as being in "Pacific Beach" that will be a few miles from the ocean (and not in an area where there's much to walk around and see).

1) The PB/Mission Beach area has a lot of your standard tourist fare and large chain restaurants, but there are a few gems (specifically the Mission just down the road in Mission Beach http://www.themissionsd.com/)

2) There are several surf shops right off of Mission Blvd and some right on the ocean that will offer surfboard rentals and lessons (from north PB all the way down to the tip of Mission Beach). Most (if not all) of them will teach kids. Book in advance though - and look on groupon for deals (there are often several). If you get the hang of things quickly, my favorite surf beach is in northern PB (on the border of La Jolla) off of Tourmaline street.

3) You have a 12 year old, so in general PB would not be my top spot for you. It's more of a "spring break/frat boy" crowd most of the time and the walkability factor is better in terms of finding fun little bars to stop into then finding fun family places to stop into. If you want to stay close to PB, I think Mission Beach is a better option for kids. It's full of hotels, is probably the main "tourist" beach, and has a pseudo-amusement park with all kinds of stuff for kids http://www.belmontpark.com/
also, several of the hotels themselves there are resorts and can probably set up surf lessons through their front desk. There are also lots of little tourist shops off of Mission Blvd that might be interesting to walk around, and if you want to do some calmer water sports (swimming, rowing, etc) Mission Bay is right there to use.
You might also consider La Jolla. If you stay in the village there is a LOT to walk around and see. La Jolla cover is home to a colony of Harbor Seals and many California Sea Lions as well that can be fun to watch and La Jolla Shores has several surf rental places that can offer lessons. There are also MANY excellent locally owned places to get a great meal there. San Diego's aquarium is also there. That being said, La Jolla is also a pretty big place, so if you are not going to have a car you'll want to make sure you stay near the cove (in the Village of La Jolla - not "La Jolla Village" - confusing, I know) in La Jolla Shores or in Bird Rock (which is just north of PB).
You might also consider Ocean Beach. The Dog Beach is there (if you like dogs, this place is FULL of them in the summer) and that particular beach is also where the OB Bike Path starts (this bikes and runners ONLY highway runs several miles inland out to all big malls in mission valley - so if you're into bike riding that's a nice plus). If you or your 12 year old likes to skateboard there is a free outdoor skate park there that is very family friendly and pretty nice. The OB pier is also there and pretty interesting to check out. There's a lively "downtown" area (with a farmers market every Wednesday) as well with lots of fun little tourist shops and locally owned restaurants as well (a few of my personally favorite places to eat are there!). Both Cabrillo National Monument (in Point Loma) http://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm
and Old Town (Historic settlement area) http://www.oldtownsandiegoguide.com/
are close-by OB as well (just a quick cab ride away).
Some people would not recommend Ocean Beach for kids either (it's a hippie hangout - which I know turns some families off), but I think it's a lot more family friendly than PB.
Other than Coronado (which I know you already mentioned is off the table) those are the best ocean front places to go if you don't have a car.

We are renting an apartment in downtown san diego during winter break 12/25-12/31 , so what is the best time to do
Zoo
Beaches
State Park

I mean what day would be suitable to do what activities

Can anybody recommend their favorite thrift store ?

Thanks

Hey, Yanilat we'll be in SD at the same time, arriving a few days earlier, so I'd like to know the answers to what you asked too. We'll be doing Sea World for Christmas Day. We have Go Cards, so we're going to try to squeeze in as much as we can.

We are renting an apartment in downtown san diego during winter break 12/25-12/31 , so what is the best time to do
Zoo
Beaches
State Park

I mean what day would be suitable to do what activities

Can anybody recommend their favorite thrift store ?

Thanks

The zoo is going to be crowded any day during that period, so start early, pack a lunch and picnic in Fern Canyon or at any of the benches around the zoo. Animals are most active early morning and late evening, so plan accordingly. Zoo should be open late during the time you are here so it could be a long day.You'll have plenty of time to see everything.

Beaches should be tamer on the weekdays but you might want to check the tide calendars. When super low (and they are super low at this time of the year) tidepooling is our favorite activity. Find a nice beach like Windansea or La Jolla and explore the tidepools.

http://ca.usharbors.com/monthly-tides/global/San Diego/2015-12

What State Park are you referring to?

Frock You is a well curated thrift store just down the street from the zoo on Park Blvd. You'll also have good luck checking out Adams Ave. in Normal Heights (also relatively close to the zoo) for a variety of thrift stores.

Has anyone in San Diego found good coupons for Legoland or Sea World lately? Costco, McDonlad's, Ralphs--anywhere?

My daughter (8) and I are going to San Diego the 16-18th. Saturday - San Diego Safari Park, Sunday - San Diego Zoo, Monday - SeaWorld.
1. She really wants to see the beach while we're there, the only time we will have is after the zoo on Sunday, what beach do you recommend?
2. I am having a lot of trouble finding reviews on the San Diego Zoo: Discovery Cart Tour. Have you been? What do you think? What did it include?
3. What restaraunts do you recommend near Hotel Circle?
4. On monday SeaWorld closes at 5pm, and we will be driving back to Vegas that night; How bad is traffic getting out of San Diego? Would you recommend we dinner before we leave San Diego or stop once we're out of the craziness?

My daughter (8) and I are going to San Diego the 16-18th. Saturday - San Diego Safari Park, Sunday - San Diego Zoo, Monday - SeaWorld.
1. She really wants to see the beach while we're there, the only time we will have is after the zoo on Sunday, what beach do you recommend?

I think Coronado would be best due to time constraints, sunset, etc...

2. I am having a lot of trouble finding reviews on the San Diego Zoo: Discovery Cart Tour. Have you been? What do you think? What did it include?

It's a more personalized tour of the standard bus tour with the ability to get off and take pictures and ask questions. Also covers some places not covered by the bus tour. I'd take the general bus tour, then, take the skyfari to the back end of the park and work your way back seeing all the things you missed on the bus tour.

3. What restaraunts do you recommend near Hotel Circle?

Fashion and Mission Valley mall has decent food options. I'm partial to Tender Greens, The Habit for good so cal burgers, The Kebab Shop, King's Fish House and Wood Ranch BBQ.

4. On monday SeaWorld closes at 5pm, and we will be driving back to Vegas that night; How bad is traffic getting out of San Diego? Would you recommend we dinner before we leave San Diego or stop once we're out of the craziness?

Pretty bad, best to stop and eat before getting on the road. Close to Seaworld is Liberty Station that just opened a food market and also has some nice places like Tender Greens (I could eat here 5 days a week), a 5 Guys Burgers, Polite Provisions (meatballs), and a Slater's 50/50. If you got on the road at 6/6:30 traffic will be better but you are in going with the majority of the traffic so be prepared for brake lights. Also be prepared for a long drive so download some books on tape and naturally, coffee.

Have fun!

We will be staying at the Best Western Plus in Old Town for a couple of days. Is it easy to get to the Gaslamp section from there? Is there any public transit or is it just driving? How is the parking in the Gaslamp section? We want to spend a day just walking around Old Town & Gaslamp areas just looking around, having a couple of good meals - any recommendations? We're not very adventurous eaters so good steak or burger places or Italian food would be our favorites.

We are planning to take another day & go to either the Zoo or the Safari Park - which one is better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

We will be staying at the Best Western Plus in Old Town for a couple of days. Is it easy to get to the Gaslamp section from there? Is there any public transit or is it just driving? How is the parking in the Gaslamp section? We want to spend a day just walking around Old Town & Gaslamp areas just looking around, having a couple of good meals - any recommendations? We're not very adventurous eaters so good steak or burger places or Italian food would be our favorites.

We are planning to take another day & go to either the Zoo or the Safari Park - which one is better?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Town to the Gas Lamp will be super easy via the trolley.
http://www.sdmts.com/schedules-real-time-maps-and-routes/trolley

Both the Zoo and the Safari Park are wonderful, but the Safari Park will be about a 90 minute drive from where you are. For a first time visitor I would go with the zoo!

Melissa

Hi, Looking for a place to stay in September, Just me and my husband. Planning to visit the Zoo and park otherwise just generally look around. Thinking we want to be quite central, will have a car for Zoo but wanted to walk around mostly.
I'm thinking Gaslamp Quarter to stay but Prices seem to range so much for hotels, any places we should avoid? Or better yet any recommendations.
Thanks for any help!

Hi, Looking for a place to stay in September, Just me and my husband. Planning to visit the Zoo and park otherwise just generally look around. Thinking we want to be quite central, will have a car for Zoo but wanted to walk around mostly.
I'm thinking Gaslamp Quarter to stay but Prices seem to range so much for hotels, any places we should avoid? Or better yet any recommendations.
Thanks for any help!

While SD has many walkable neighborhoods, the neighborhoods themselves are far away and serviced by horrible public transportation so a car would be recommended no matter what.

Central is tough here - we're spread out geographically.

What are the four or five other things you'd like to do while in town?

I'm not partial to the Gaslamp - too many bars, the restaurants are pretty bad, and there are too many tourists ;-) So, on second thought, it might be perfect for you if you just want a few days in San Diego. If you do have a car I'm partial to The Pearl, or you might want to look at The Bahia for something more resort like. But knowing what you'd like to do, might help narrow down choices of where to stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter