Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

Just odd to me, why not cancel altogether? There will still be a LOT of people at these major sporting events without spectators.

Sorry to go back to this but I'll tie it back in with Disney :)

They won't cancel the tournament because unlike other events, like Indian Wells tennis tournament, the NCCAA makes a ton of money off tv revenue. As I imagine bball is similar to football, the programs participating in the tournament also stand to make money off this either from participating or from the tv revenue. There's no way they are going to turn away from that money if it's at all possible.

I would also imagine, that like most pro sports teams, these teams are chartering planes for the tournament or at least the bigger programs probably are. So that takes some of their risk away.

Not sure if the tournament is still all CBS or if there's any on ABC/Disney, but if there's no sports to cover they will lose money as well. ESPN and ESPN2 may really turn into the Ocho because there's nothing else to cover.

I agree it will be weird to watch games happen in empty arena's and stadiums but I can understand why they are continuing with games. They are going to need to do something to keep the sounds from the ice/field/court etc off the live mics though, I can already hear it and I know some announcers are closer to the field of play than others so may not be as easy.

NBA suspending games just said it's because a player with Utah has tested positive for covid-19. The guys on NBCSN said they wouldn't be surprised if the NHL follows that, intermission report, watching Sharks v Blackhawks. As it stands SJ will play their final home games in an empty arena. The Mariners are looking at potentially playing their opening series at their spring training facility instead of home in Seattle.

So I guess life just stops in the US for the next month? wow .. just wow ..

WDW will close ... they have to .. just for the PR to look like they are doing their part.

Pretty much. This is what happened in China. Then South Korea. Then Iran. Now Italy. Quite frankly, it's been incredibly naive of North Americans to think it wouldn't happen here....

If we can control the spread. Kuwait has closed all those (except grocery). We don't want to be there.

I think we can control in areas, I think other areas may need to take more drastic measures for a time.

I do think the cancellation of large gatherings is a good start. Even though some of it seems pre-emptive, it will help.

Yes but if the hospitals get overwhelmed it could effect a lot of people who never even get the virus.

Bingo and that's the danger. If hospital beds get filled with corona patients then somebody with what would normally be a routine procedure may not have a place to go and/or shortage of drugs, etc. That is the problem in Italy right now. People who normally would be fine are not because of all the resources needed for corona. I pray we don't reach that point.

I think we can control in areas, I think other areas may need to take more drastic measures for a time.

I do think the cancellation of large gatherings is a good start. Even though some of it seems pre-emptive, it will help.

How spread out geographically the US is in general as opposed to say Europe really helps us a lot if we can prevent people from multiple areas of the county all going to the same location for something like a basketball game or a hate to say it a half marathon weekend.

A short recession is actually preferable to the carnage a failed medical system would bring, but maybe we should be most worried about what people call the virus.

Yes, calling it "Wuhan Virus" really helps stop the irrational fear and prejudice people now have against the Chinese. I see we won't be having further discussions. Stay healthy! :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter