As the Ticker Turns...the neverending saga of the Resort Changers

Wow! It's almost time for big move & wdw!! Time sure does move fast! Congrats on BOG adr! We love sitting in The Rose Room!

Wow! 4 resorts in 9 days :rotfl2: the most we've done is 3 resorts in 14 days, Pop arrival day, GF & YC split.
We are looking forward to our January ️POR stay!

It's our longest trip and quite a split! Although scratch that part about our "value 24 hours" because instead of CS dinner, our oldest just talked me into a Brown Derby ADR . . .

Hoping for good January weather for both of us!!

Hello, all! Hope your Tuesday is full of speed to Friday!

pas - hope you and hubby are doing well!

Anybody know of a good Aulani resort thread on here? I have a client looking at possibly doing a honeymoon there and I only know what's on the website! :-)

Truthfully, information about Aulani is thin on the boards (as is info re: Asia parks). I think if you look at Tripadvisor and some of the ancillary travel boards, you should find some good stuff. We have several friends who have been to Aulani (love it!) and we are looking to meet my folks in Hawaii for a 4 night Hilton Hawaiian/4 night Aulani vacation.

We did it - added our AOA night in January. So we're at nine nights with an AOA/AKL/GF/Poly split. The boys said they would rather add a night at the start even if it means a 4-resort split. It will be a value 24 hours - CS only and AOA. (My husband joins us for the Poly part only, so with three boys I may feel like I ran a marathon before I actually run the marathon!) Youngest asked if there is CL at AOA . . . um, no! Our first night is still holiday season - no discounts - so a perfect time to try AOA.

That's a lot of splitting, but might as well! I think down the road since military tickets seem to always be at 4 park days, we might do an 8 night trip to Disney and split across 3 resorts... with some of the deluxes, you can totally spend as much time enjoying the resort as you would hte parks! I like the idea of dipping your toes into AoA, esp since it's still holiday pricing!

Wow! It's almost time for big move & wdw!! Time sure does move fast! Congrats on BOG adr! We love sitting in The Rose Room!

I can't believe it's all finally happening! We feel like we are so far behind but other than sorting and purging (we've probably donated 1/3 of our stuff!), we just have to wait. We did order LO her toddler bed - she's been in the one her crib converted into for a month but we didn't want to take the whole crib to Japan, so we're taking a toddler bed. We've decided the girls are going to room together - DD7 has a loft so we're putting LO's bed underneath. They are both on the same sleep/wake schedule and that way space won't be as much an issue - housing in Japan can be set up differently... we'll see how it goes.

DD7 is starting to freak out a little... I think it's going to hit her hard next week when the main movers come. She's excited and has all sorts of ideas of what she wants to do, but she's starting to miss her friends/school and I think she feels a little guilty for being excited. I think the Disney trip will help some, though.

No real changes to report! I am on the fence about DD's BBB rezzie -- she has shorter hair than she did last time and part of me thinks it's not worth it... but the other part of me thinks she could use the pampering. Thankfully, we have time to decide!

That's a lot of splitting, but might as well! I think down the road since military tickets seem to always be at 4 park days, we might do an 8 night trip to Disney and split across 3 resorts... with some of the deluxes, you can totally spend as much time enjoying the resort as you would hte parks! I like the idea of dipping your toes into AoA, esp since it's still holiday pricing!

I can't believe it's all finally happening! We feel like we are so far behind but other than sorting and purging (we've probably donated 1/3 of our stuff!), we just have to wait. We did order LO her toddler bed - she's been in the one her crib converted into for a month but we didn't want to take the whole crib to Japan, so we're taking a toddler bed. We've decided the girls are going to room together - DD7 has a loft so we're putting LO's bed underneath. They are both on the same sleep/wake schedule and that way space won't be as much an issue - housing in Japan can be set up differently... we'll see how it goes.

DD7 is starting to freak out a little... I think it's going to hit her hard next week when the main movers come. She's excited and has all sorts of ideas of what she wants to do, but she's starting to miss her friends/school and I think she feels a little guilty for being excited. I think the Disney trip will help some, though.

No real changes to report! I am on the fence about DD's BBB rezzie -- she has shorter hair than she did last time and part of me thinks it's not worth it... but the other part of me thinks she could use the pampering. Thankfully, we have time to decide!

Every time I question the four-resort split, I think of how much easier it will be than our Paris/London trip last summer or our trip down PCH in California a couple years ago (2 nights San Francisco, 1 night Monterrey, 1 night Santa Barbara, 4 nights Newport Beach!) Our kids can't sit still anyway! And I know it's odd, but I enjoy the planning and the organization it requires when we're there - I usually tidy and organize the room every night anyway, so this just involves the extra step of calling Bell Services in the AM!

Wow - so much going on for your family! So glad you have the WDW trip coming up! Love the toddler bed - was always so exciting to switch the kids out of the crib and into the toddler bed. Our youngest was a jumper/houdini in the crib, so he switched around the same age as yours. What an amazing experience this move will be for your kids, especially your 7-year-old. Really hope you continue to post here regarding your experiences during and after the move!

I feel it's my duty to keep the changes going, so we've started to discuss switching from CBR to the CR garden wing for Easter weekend . . .

:wave2:

Good Morning everyone! Hope everyone had a relaxing and peaceful Thanksgiving! DD came down with the stomach flu so we scrapped our plans and stayed home. On Friday I cooked our meal and it was pretty tasty. I was planning on doing some shopping on Saturday but the protesters decided that no one could shop. :headache: Thank heavens for Cyber Monday! I got quite a bit accomplished yesterday. Feels wonderful.:)

Well, not too much news on the trip front. We are planning on flying into Tampa, and renting a car from there. I think we'll stay the night at a hotel on I-4 (Plant City, perhaps?) and then get up the next morning and drive into Orlando and check into our resort. I will then head to the grocery store and get breakfast and snack items.

Afterwards, we are going to spend a week in Siesta Key (Sarasota) on the beach with DH and my dad. I've been looking at VRBO and there are some nice places out there. I'm aiming for a peaceful week on the beach.

dimnd -- Hope you are gearing up for your in-law madness! Lots going on right now!

pixar - wow a 4 resort split! You know, if we weren't taking DD, I would be up for something like that. We did a split in Sept and it was a bit of a headache and I don't think I would do it again with little ones. We just have too much junk! :rolleyes1

Happy Holidays to all! :goodvibes

:wave2:

Good Morning everyone! Hope everyone had a relaxing and peaceful Thanksgiving! DD came down with the stomach flu so we scrapped our plans and stayed home. On Friday I cooked our meal and it was pretty tasty. I was planning on doing some shopping on Saturday but the protesters decided that no one could shop. :headache: Thank heavens for Cyber Monday! I got quite a bit accomplished yesterday. Feels wonderful.:)

Well, not too much news on the trip front. We are planning on flying into Tampa, and renting a car from there. I think we'll stay the night at a hotel on I-4 (Plant City, perhaps?) and then get up the next morning and drive into Orlando and check into our resort. I will then head to the grocery store and get breakfast and snack items.

Afterwards, we are going to spend a week in Siesta Key (Sarasota) on the beach with DH and my dad. I've been looking at VRBO and there are some nice places out there. I'm aiming for a peaceful week on the beach.

dimnd -- Hope you are gearing up for your in-law madness! Lots going on right now!

pixar - wow a 4 resort split! You know, if we weren't taking DD, I would be up for something like that. We did a split in Sept and it was a bit of a headache and I don't think I would do it again with little ones. We just have too much junk! :rolleyes1

Happy Holidays to all! :goodvibes

Hope your daughter is feeling better. Week on the beach sounds wonderful!! We always love a good VRBO - so much space and perfect at the beach! With an 18-month-old, a split stay would be hard - so much stuff for those little ones! Now that our boys are 7, 14 and 15 and all they really wear are jeans/shorts/shirts, it's much easier!

Change for today: Did it - switched Easter Weekend from CBR to CR. The CR garden wing is the least expensive deluxe room available - even less than AKL and WL! Kind of missing the theming of CBR, but I think the convenience of CR for that weekend will make up for it.

*squealing in excitement*

December 2015 at WL!!! My parents will be camping at the Fort. May take my FIL along. (2 rooms then?) 12/5-12/11 is the plan at the moment.

Anybody know of a good Aulani resort thread on here? I have a client looking at possibly doing a honeymoon there and I only know what's on the website! :-)

Check out the DVC forum on the dis- on the resorts section they have a TON about Aulani!

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187

Edit to add:

Hi. Im Alli and I have a confession. I am a resort-changaholic. It started early on, with my family's first trip to WDW. We had Pop booked. Then I found dis and read. and read. and read. and decided to move to the Poly. then I read. and read. and read. and decided I didnt want to pay that much so a moderate would be perfect- right in the middle. By that time all we could find available for the entire stay was POR- so we went with that. Had a nice time. Next stay- I really wanted to try pop, since we didnt last time- so we booked a ten night stay there. I was forbidden from switching so- I tried my absolute hardest. And really the switch that occured wasnt my fault. My awesome aunt called me- two weeks before the trip and said- hey I have some extra DVC points, do you want them? Um, yes. Not sure how or why, but an OKW 2 bedroom villa was available- so I approached DH and said- listen, we can stay at pop in a standard room OR we could switch (which I know I was forbidden to do) and stay at OKW in a 2 bedroom villa- FREE! So of course he was swayed and I got my way. Most recently, we had a 5 day family reunion, awesome aunt again said- lets all stay at OKW, on her points- DONE! but I explained to DH we were already going to be flying down to WDW, why not add a few days. And repeat my switching tendencies. I didnt mean for it to happen. I had a LM room all set at AOA after our OKW portion of the trip. PERFECT- but then something happened, I cant recall what anymore, but I ended up moving us to a cars room. But then my in laws decided to stay two extra days with us, so I moved us all to a Cars suite. Well we didnt need a suite for the remaining days so then they left and we moved to a LM standard room (are you following this? So that trip we stayed in OKW 2 bedroom-then Cars Suite- then LM room) it was GREAT! Moving was a pain but I like to experience all the different spots out there. Fast forward to current- We became DVC members- it'll be amazing I told DH- I want to try out all the resorts and this will give us the opportunity. Each trip we will try to pick a new DVC resort until we try them all. At this point he knows to not ask me where we are staying till a week before arrival. I've done pretty good this time- and only switched once so far. Originally we were booked at Kidani for the week, but then I saw that BLT had a few days available- so I decided on a split stay at BLT/AKV. I really think this is set in stone now. Unless a villa at Grand Floridian opens......Anyways- I wanted to say Hi and confess to all of you, because it feels like you will understand this addiction of mine.

Check out the DVC forum on the dis- on the resorts section they have a TON about Aulani! http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187 Edit to add: Hi. Im Alli and I have a confession. I am a resort-changaholic. It started early on, with my family's first trip to WDW. We had Pop booked. Then I found dis and read. and read. and read. and decided to move to the Poly. then I read. and read. and read. and decided I didnt want to pay that much so a moderate would be perfect- right in the middle. By that time all we could find available for the entire stay was POR- so we went with that. Had a nice time. Next stay- I really wanted to try pop, since we didnt last time- so we booked a ten night stay there. I was forbidden from switching so- I tried my absolute hardest. And really the switch that occured wasnt my fault. My awesome aunt called me- two weeks before the trip and said- hey I have some extra DVC points, do you want them? Um, yes. Not sure how or why, but an OKW 2 bedroom villa was available- so I approached DH and said- listen, we can stay at pop in a standard room OR we could switch (which I know I was forbidden to do) and stay at OKW in a 2 bedroom villa- FREE! So of course he was swayed and I got my way. Most recently, we had a 5 day family reunion, awesome aunt again said- lets all stay at OKW, on her points- DONE! but I explained to DH we were already going to be flying down to WDW, why not add a few days. And repeat my switching tendencies. I didnt mean for it to happen. I had a LM room all set at AOA after our OKW portion of the trip. PERFECT- but then something happened, I cant recall what anymore, but I ended up moving us to a cars room. But then my in laws decided to stay two extra days with us, so I moved us all to a Cars suite. Well we didnt need a suite for the remaining days so then they left and we moved to a LM standard room (are you following this? So that trip we stayed in OKW 2 bedroom-then Cars Suite- then LM room) it was GREAT! Moving was a pain but I like to experience all the different spots out there. Fast forward to current- We became DVC members- it'll be amazing I told DH- I want to try out all the resorts and this will give us the opportunity. Each trip we will try to pick a new DVC resort until we try them all. At this point he knows to not ask me where we are staying till a week before arrival. I've done pretty good this time- and only switched once so far. Originally we were booked at Kidani for the week, but then I saw that BLT had a few days available- so I decided on a split stay at BLT/AKV. I really think this is set in stone now. Unless a villa at Grand Floridian opens......Anyways- I wanted to say Hi and confess to all of you, because it feels like you will understand this addiction of mine.

Welcome to the club! :-)

Ok, just when I was getting everything arranged and deciding on a few things (well except for part of the hotel stay, which I'm still waiting on a possible discount), something interesting comes up and I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do. A few days after I was going to be leaving (2 or 3 days) the Star Wars dining begins. Do I rearrange everything and move the trip a few days. or add a couple days to the trip? Id love the latter, which would make it easier cause I already have a few neat dining reservations already booked. it wouldn`t be a problem normally, but It's breakfast with Darth Vader after all.

Anyone heard anything or think that they'll have special magicbands again this year? Think they'll be when the Star Wars weekends actually start, or maybe a little early cause they are having the dining events early?

I thought I had us all sorted out for our trip in April (8-12), until we received a pin. Now I'm back in a planning frenzy haha.

"we" had settled on cb and booking through orbitz with a 15% off code. (I. I settled. haha)

unfortunately, our code only works for the last three days of our trip so it looks like we will be doing a split stay.

So now I am back to square one. We stayed at POR one night last December and really liked it. It was our original choice until I saw the refreshed rooms at CB.

The big draw of CB (and CS) is having doors that separate the bathroom and the main room. We have a 2 year old (well he will be turning 2 on our trip) and we like the idea of more than a curtain separating us since he is a light and loud sleeper.

DH is not a fan of switching hotels but he will do whatever I want. I am trying to not take advantage of that ;):rolleyes1

so what would you all do? would you do split stays to maximize savings or stay in the same resort for convenience? and do you all prefer one over the other? We've never seen CS or CB and we didn't check out POR much outside of walking to our room so we are only making decisions based on pictures.

I guess I should note, lots of walking is not an issue. bus convince is nice but we tend to drive to the parks regardless of where we stay.

For a short stay, I would not do a split stay. Resort changing just takes up too much time. We did it for a 10 day trip this summer. It is a 1/2 + day wasted and you can be spending that time in the parks. Plus, you have enough on your hands with little ones. :)

thanks! thats what the logical side of me knows is true but the irrational side of "all the fun and all the hotels" is trying to take over haha

We do split stays for all kinds of trips - long and short - and we absolutely love them! We've split stays for as little as two nights and as many as nine. Our January trip ended up as a split between four different resorts! I think it really depends on the circumstances and your family's travel style. Our kids are really on-the-go, we love trying new resorts and our teenagers love to change it up. Also, our travel style works well with splits - we pack very light (easier with three boys ages 7, 14 and 15), I love organizing before and during the trip for a split stay and we make extensive use of Bell Services. Even when not splitting, I'm tidying and organizing the room every night for our next day anyway. We don't leave stuff out (other than the toiletries) and we don't use the drawers, so it's really easy for us.

So when we switch resorts, we spend zero extra time beyond packing up the toiletries and calling Bell Services. Then we're off to a park and we go directly to Resort #2 for our afternoon break. One more call to Bell Services and we're settled in again. On the occasion that we transfer on our own, we hop in an early morning cab with our luggage and we're checked in at Resort #2 before rope drop on transfer day.

On the other hand, if you have a little one with lots of gear, spread out in your room, or don't love constant crazy organizing, I can see how a split is less convenient.

P.S. If I were splitting between the two, I'd split between POR and CBR. If just one resort, I'd choose CBR because of the pool and new rooms. It's really spread out, but we found it wasn't too bad when staying in Martinique. And our oldest son (now 15) was 18 months old at the time and loved it! Even better now with the new pool. And the tropical atmosphere/theme is so fun.

P.S. I made it the whole weekend without a resort change! Although I did change ADRs - cancelled Il Mulino and booked the Wave for the night before the marathon. Not confident about that change, but I'm giving up the pasta to stay close to Poly and get to sleep early. Any thoughts regarding the Wave?

We like the Wave! We ate breakfast there but I really was impressed how "off" the beaten path it was. We looked at the lunch and dinner menus and they look great. I'm considering a dinner ADR there for Sept when our time comes to book them.

We like the Wave! We ate breakfast there but I really was impressed how "off" the beaten path it was. We looked at the lunch and dinner menus and they look great. I'm considering a dinner ADR there for Sept when our time comes to book them.

Thank you! I'm so happy to hear this. This ADR is between the half marathon for my husband and teens and the marathon for me - so I thought it best not to travel too far for dinner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter