• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arrival Dinner Ideas?

gpjacobs

Mouseketeer
During my family's upcoming trip, we're checking into the Grand Californian around 2 or 3 p.m. p.m. We have no intention of going to the parks (it's a long drive and we may be delayed by L.A. traffic), so the plan is to go swimming and explore Downtown Disney. So now I'm pondering where to make a reservation for dinner as our only "planned" activity for the day.

If character dining was available - and it may be, by October - we'd probably try Storyteller's Cafe. We've never been but our daughter LOVES meeting characters. With that potentially off the table, I'm finding it harder to make a decision. Does anyone have a go-to arrival dinner spot? We've been to most of the sit-down places in DD over the years and the only one my husband "vetoes" is Ralph Brennan. (He’s not a fan of Cajun flavors.)

Our family is in the same situation! We are driving in from Northern California and staying at the GCH. We also won’t be going into the park until the next morning. We have reservations at Napa Rose. It sounds like our kids are older than yours, but we have taken them to NR even when they were younger. The service and the food are really outstanding and they will even make off menu items if you’ve got a really picky eater. I’m really looking forward to a nice, slow-paced meal where we can relax and unwind and then meander right back to our room when we finish.

Similar situation here, arriving around 5pm on arrival day. We decided to explore Downtown Disney and made a reservation at Craftsman Bar for dinner that night. With two full days in the parks, arrival day/night will be our only time to explore Downtown Disney and we're excited about that.

Our family is in the same situation! We are driving in from Northern California and staying at the GCH. We also won’t be going into the park until the next morning. We have reservations at Napa Rose. It sounds like our kids are older than yours, but we have taken them to NR even when they were younger. The service and the food are really outstanding and they will even make off menu items if you’ve got a really picky eater. I’m really looking forward to a nice, slow-paced meal where we can relax and unwind and then meander right back to our room when we finish.

We're also coming from Northern California - too funny! Our daughter will be turning 7 and can def. handle fine dining. I hadn't really considered it but if may be a great option!

When our boys were younger, we would do our first dinner at Goofy's Kitchen. Great way to get into the Disney spirit before going into the parks the next day.

If you don't mind walking over to the Disneyland Hotel (which will surely be open by Oct) you might also consider Tangaroa Terrace which is outdoors on a patio above the pool. They typically have live music (a Hawaiian duo) and a good range of food and drinks in a fun atmosphere. It isn't as crazy fun as Trader's Sam's which is a tiki bar within that same central Disneyland Hotel complex, but that can get kind of boozy in the evening. Tangaroa Terrace is more family friendly.

I just read that (pre-COVID), Storyteller's didn't do character dining in the evening. Only at breakfast. Is that accurate? If that's the case, that would bump it down the consideration list considerably. Napa Rose, Craftsman Bar and Steakhouse 55 (should it open) are looking better and better ...

Out of curiosity, is the dinner menu at Goofy's Kitchen good? We've only experienced breakfast there. Thanks!

I just read that (pre-COVID), Storyteller's didn't do character dining in the evening. Only at breakfast. Is that accurate? If that's the case, that would bump it down the consideration list considerably. Napa Rose, Craftsman Bar and Steakhouse 55 (should it open) are looking better and better ...

Out of curiosity, is the dinner menu at Goofy's Kitchen good? We've only experienced breakfast there. Thanks!
That is correct. Goofy's at DLH is the only character meal for lunch and dinner. Breakfasts include Goofy's, as well as Storyteller's Mickey's Tales of Adventure, Napa Rose Princess Breakfast, Paradise Pier's PCH Donald Duck's Seaside breakfast. And Minnie's at Plaza Inn in the park. Used to be the Ariel / princesses one when it was still Ariel's in California Adventure, but now it's Lamplight Lounge.

That is correct. Goofy's at DLH is the only character meal for lunch and dinner. Breakfasts include Goofy's, as well as Storyteller's Mickey's Tales of Adventure, Napa Rose Princess Breakfast, Paradise Pier's PCH Donald Duck's Seaside breakfast. And Minnie's at Plaza Inn in the park. Used to be the Ariel / princesses one when it was still Ariel's in California Adventure, but now it's Lamplight Lounge.

Thank you! We weren't very impressed with Goofy's Kitchen when we went in 2018. If that's the only dinner option, character dining will be off the table ... unless enough people validate that dinner is distinctly better than breakfast.

We just returned home to Nor Cal. If you wanted a nice sit down, we had two diners at Catal in Downtown Disney. The food was great and the staff wonderful. My son is 8 and has no issues sitting thru dinner. There might have been a promise of a Spinkles cupcake and visit to Trading Post!

We did Black Tap on our arrival day, which we enjoyed (and no reservations needed). Tortilla Jo’s & Jazz Kitchen are both great as well.

Goofy’s can be fun, but I wouldn’t do it for the food. Storyteller’s is good, but no characters for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter