Are you sending your kids to school next month?

That's interesting. In my district, someone who has a medical excuse not to work in-person is still expected to do remote work. We're going back in-person with some special ed classes in a week. The two aides in the room next door to mine both have doctor notes. They will be doing more to support the remote kids since not all parents are choosing to send their kids back. They will also be coming in after the students leave to do prep work, or pick it up to do at home. They could also be given other non-classroom related work to fill their paid hours.

I guess some doctors give notes out more freely than others. I had a video visit with my doctor last month. At the end, we started talking about schools and in-person vs. remote classes. She said several of her patients are teachers and some asked for notes to keep them from returning in-person. She said legally and morally, she can only write a note if the person has a valid reason that is documented in their chart. (I was not asking for a note. We got into the discussion because she knows I work in education and she has kids in school.) I suppose other doctors have no qualms about doing it.

Oh, I wish there were more of those doctors. But there will always be the ones like the "Disney Note" docs who used to offer to write those front of the line passes. I also wish our district would have the creativity to do the things your district is doing. I know people are scared, and some have every right to be because of health issues. But when you see on social media that they are out and about, having a healthy social life, it makes you wonder, right?

What an incredibly condescending post.

I wish it was, but it's the truth. Not all of the people using the out provided by our district are being honest. It's leaving very few staff to cover all the stuff in students' IEPs. In a good year, we are stretched thin, due to budget constraints. We also anticipate layoffs, which is going to make it impossible, IMO, to do what we are supposed to do. Those of us able to handle coming in are going to burn out quickly. The ones that are going to suffer most are the kids who need the most help, hence my warning to parents. Do you think the schools are going to notify the parents and say "hey we can't cover this part of your child's IEP?" Heaven help us when we go to full hybrid model, with half the kids in classrooms two days a week.

I guess some doctors give notes out more freely than others. I had a video visit with my doctor last month. At the end, we started talking about schools and in-person vs. remote classes. She said several of her patients are teachers and some asked for notes to keep them from returning in-person. She said legally and morally, she can only write a note if the person has a valid reason that is documented in their chart. (I was not asking for a note. We got into the discussion because she knows I work in education and she has kids in school.) I suppose other doctors have no qualms about doing it.
It's unfortunate that there are many doctors who would write the note without a diagnosis, hopefully there is some pushback on the doctors like in WI in 2011. A couple doctors lost their licenses for writing notes so that teachers could "sick out" and protest at the legislature.

That's interesting. In my district, someone who has a medical excuse not to work in-person is still expected to do remote work. We're going back in-person with some special ed classes in a week. The two aides in the room next door to mine both have doctor notes. They will be doing more to support the remote kids since not all parents are choosing to send their kids back. They will also be coming in after the students leave to do prep work, or pick it up to do at home. They could also be given other non-classroom related work to fill their paid hours.

After one school district had 300 teachers bring in doctor's notes for either remote positions or a year of leave, all other districts started started getting incredibly picky. I'm back in my old position because the district denied the person who they moved over from another school a remote position or leave. He is in the highest risk category if he were to get COVID. His doctor said absolutely no in-person teaching for him. He had to retire 2 years early.

Other districts are doing the same. Type 1 diabetic, too bad. High blood pressure? Too bad. Under going chemo right now? Too bad.

It's sickening.

I wish it was, but it's the truth. Not all of the people using the out provided by our district are being honest. It's leaving very few staff to cover all the stuff in students' IEPs. In a good year, we are stretched thin, due to budget constraints. We also anticipate layoffs, which is going to make it impossible, IMO, to do what we are supposed to do. Those of us able to handle coming in are going to burn out quickly. The ones that are going to suffer most are the kids who need the most help, hence my warning to parents. Do you think the schools are going to notify the parents and say "hey we can't cover this part of your child's IEP?" Heaven help us when we go to full hybrid model, with half the kids in classrooms two days a week.

Even if what you claim is actually true, your obvious feeling of superiority over anyone who you assume has less education than you is readily apparent and extremely distasteful.

My school has told teachers the same thing. We cannot just teach the curriculum; we have to also address the social-emotional needs of our students and create a bond with each of them. It’s all a little much if you ask me. But no one asked me. We just have to do what we are told.

As a parent of a HS senior who is taking his college courses throughHS I think this is ridiculous.
I can see it for the younger students but kids who are on their last year of HS don’t need this garbage, they need to be prepared for entering college and that means teaching the GD curriculum, not social rearing., anything else is a complete waste of education.
I’ve said it before but thank god this is my last child going through this,

ETA-i know they teachers are just doing their jobs and have no choice

Last edited:
Even if what you claim is actually true, your obvious feeling of superiority over anyone who you assume has less education than you is readily apparent and extremely distasteful.

It's less ability to do those classes. One of our best paras has only a HS degree, but can do almost all the science classes I do (but has to take stuff home to review, on her own time, but she does it willingly to help the kids) and I will be the first to admit that I would not know how to work in the ABA classroom settings because I have none of that education. So, while you may think I'm being "superior" what I really am is honest. The teachers in the science and math (and English) classes request me all the time. They request not to have certain staff as well. For some people, high school math is too hard for them. In order to help the kids in classes, you have to be able to do the work yourself, explain the steps, break it down, modify. In the past, these same paras would come to me for explanations on how to do Algebra and Geometry. Not all of our paras are qualified to be in college prep level classes. They were hired for life skills. I was hired for academic classes. But perhaps this is just happening in our district then. That would be wonderful news for all the other kids on IEPs out there in the country. But you can think I'm feeling superior. I'm really feeling frustrated and worried about the kids.

It's less ability to do those classes. One of our best paras has only a HS degree, but can do almost all the science classes I do (but has to take stuff home to review, on her own time, but she does it willingly to help the kids) and I will be the first to admit that I would not know how to work in the ABA classroom settings because I have none of that education. So, while you may think I'm being "superior" what I really am is honest. The teachers in the science and math (and English) classes request me all the time. They request not to have certain staff as well. For some people, high school math is too hard for them. In order to help the kids in classes, you have to be able to do the work yourself, explain the steps, break it down, modify. In the past, these same paras would come to me for explanations on how to do Algebra and Geometry. Not all of our paras are qualified to be in college prep level classes. They were hired for life skills. I was hired for academic classes. But perhaps this is just happening in our district then. That would be wonderful news for all the other kids on IEPs out there in the country. But you can think I'm feeling superior. I'm really feeling frustrated and worried about the kids.

Yeah, that’s not what you said originally. Have a lovely day. I’m out.

As a parent of a HS senior who is taking his college courses throughHS I think this is ridiculous.
I can see it for the younger students but kids who are on their last year of HS don’t need this garbage, they need to be prepared for entering college and that means teaching the GD curriculum, not social rearing., anything else is a complete waste of education.
I’ve said it before but thank god this is my last child going through this,

ETA-i know they teachers are just doing their jobs and have no choice

Social Emotional education was written into law a few years ago. Even admin doesn't have a choice in requiring it.

Truthfully, it can be built into a lesson without the kids even knowing. I built mine into brain breaks in between songs or while I was tuning. Now because of COVID the cohorts are built at my school so that I don't have my band or orch kids so I'm teaching Music Appreciation (where is the vomit emoji?). I'm taking my kids outside for 15 minutes and we're playing music games that I've built in S/E. The remaining 60 minutes is content.

So my school district opened and this past week had their first full week. 2 kids tested positive in kindergarten and second grade. DH is high risk so my kids are doing the virtual school which is good because I had a second grader! One of the parents got a letter saying that their child “Bella” had been a close contact to the positive testing student. The school says that Bella has to quarantine for two weeks. The kicker is that school said that Bella’s brother should go to school while Bella is quarantines! Bella’s mom is an aide in another school in the district and they said that she must keep working while Bella quarantines! There’s no way this is okay.

My wife's and son's school system is coming up on completing 3 weeks of in person for those that desired that option over 100% digital.

So far there are 39 positive cases or .01% of the student/staff population. (181,000 students and 24,000 staff)

So far in person seems very manageable from a covid perspective.

So my school district opened and this past week had their first full week. 2 kids tested positive in kindergarten and second grade. DH is high risk so my kids are doing the virtual school which is good because I had a second grader! One of the parents got a letter saying that their child “Bella” had been a close contact to the positive testing student. The school says that Bella has to quarantine for two weeks. The kicker is that school said that Bella’s brother should go to school while Bella is quarantines! Bella’s mom is an aide in another school in the district and they said that she must keep working while Bella quarantines! There’s no way this is okay.

This is what our district is doing as well. If they are not in direct contact they do not have to quarantine. This is the system our Governor has okayed and he has been following the health and science professionals on this.

This is what our district is doing as well. If they are not in direct contact they do not have to quarantine. This is the system our Governor has okayed and he has been following the health and science professionals on this.

I don’t understand this reasoning as if the daughter got the virus then she could pass it onto brother and mom symptom free and they could spread it around. Also, who’s going to watch a young kid who quarantines besides the parents?

Our district's virtual learning academy is blending the Social Emotional Learning into our Encore classes (music, art, gym) for the first three weeks. Dance parties, making cozy reading spaces, drawing things that make you smile, taking a silent walk to listen to nature, etc. I'm ok with it vs. calisthenics in a zoom meeting.

My wife's and son's school system is coming up on completing 3 weeks of in person for those that desired that option over 100% digital.

So far there are 39 positive cases or .01% of the student/staff population. (181,000 students and 24,000 staff)

So far in person seems very manageable from a covid perspective.

Woaw! Where do you live, or where do they go to, that there is an average size of 100,000 students and teachers?
(Or, do they belong to the same district with 200,000 students and teachers?!)

Social Emotional education was written into law a few years ago. Even admin doesn't have a choice in requiring it.

Truthfully, it can be built into a lesson without the kids even knowing. I built mine into brain breaks in between songs or while I was tuning. Now because of COVID the cohorts are built at my school so that I don't have my band or orch kids so I'm teaching Music Appreciation (where is the vomit emoji?). I'm taking my kids outside for 15 minutes and we're playing music games that I've built in S/E. The remaining 60 minutes is content.

But it seems there is a focus on it this year, and for HS seniors it is ridiculous.
I just asked my ds what is homework was that was due today- he had to make a poster of things he likes.
This is for a college class (not honors, or AP, the actual class that students enrolled in the college are also taking). I'm pretty sure those students sitting in their class on the college campus aren't making posters and talking about what they did over summer vacation. In fact I know they aren't, my dd took this same class in HS and my other ds took it when he started at the college.
It's a complete waste of time and a slap in the face to the students who actually care about their education and wanted to take a college class for credit instead of the standard HS class.
And this teacher is supposedly certified through the college to teach this class. I'll give it through this week before I contact them. I'm hoping that she jumps into the curriculum today or tomorrow.

I won't get into it but "social emotional" education is just a form of indoctrination.

And this teacher is supposedly certified through the college to teach this class.

Just speaking to this part: I'm also "certified" through the college to teach some classes, and really, it isn't always as impressive as it sounds. It just means that I took a two-hour refresher class from them once a year (that I get paid to attend), they pre-arrange a lesson time to come watch me teach it once every five years or so, I submit a copy of one of my assessments for them to have on file, and I agree to cover all the content that they want me to cover (which since I have a whole year to cover their quarter's worth of content isn't really that hard). I know that mileage may vary a bit from college to college, but honestly, almost all of our teachers end up getting that "certification," because it's relatively easy to do, and it's profitable for the colleges to hand them out.

Just speaking to this part: I'm also "certified" through the college to teach some classes, and really, it isn't always as impressive as it sounds. It just means that I took a two-hour refresher class from them once a year (that I get paid to attend), they pre-arrange a lesson time to come watch me teach it once every five years or so, I submit a copy of one of my assessments for them to have on file, and I agree to cover all the content that they want me to cover (which since I have a whole year to cover their quarter's worth of content isn't really that hard). I know that mileage may vary a bit from college to college, but honestly, almost all of our teachers end up getting that "certification," because it's relatively easy to do, and it's profitable for the colleges to hand them out.
My kids have taken dual enrollment classes from different universities and they were easier than AP classes. Dd19 took one from Rutgers that was only hard because it was taught as a regular class, but for those who signed up for the college credits had a different exam, the one given at rutgers, that the teacher didn’t even have a copy of, so most of the class prepped for the teacher’s exam, while those taking the college exam had to guess what to focus on.

We are halfway through the first nine weeks and my daughter's school had one positive case so far. Their safety measures are working. Louisiana is now in phase 3. Now that we have seen how school would handle things and the construction there is complete we can move forward. Dire predictions of school having to shut down because of cases just didn't come to fruition, thankfully.

We've decided to send her back in person for the next nine weeks. I don't have any complaints about the virtual program. Her teachers are rockstars and she's got all As so far. It's just tough with my husband working from home indefinitely. Our house is small and it's very distracting. She also needs the P.E. and longer days to get her back to a more regular routine. Her pediatrician said going back would be a good idea. We finally found comfortable masks for her to wear with her glasses.

Good luck to everyone just starting school. We've been in for over a month and it seems like an eternity, but also feels good to know that things are going well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter