• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you sending your kids to school next month?

Positive transmission rates. Our governor does the
daily briefings and outlines the daily positive rates, daily hospitalization admissions and how many are in ICU in each county. His guidelines are such that if the positives rates go over 9% all schools in the state have to shut down. So as of right now the positive rate in my county is less than 1%. Schools don’t start till after Labor Day so a lot can happen in August. If the the positive rates remain low the kids will be back in school based upon the plan placed by the school district they reside in.
Ok when you say positive transmission rates I think you mean percent of people who test positive. Meaning you are saying out of every 100 test less than 1 is currently testing positive. The transmission thing is a little misleading. No one knows a transmission rate. They do know percent of positive test rate.

Last edited:
Ok when you say positive transmission rates I think you mean percent of people who test positive. Meaning you are saying out of every 100 test less than 1 is currently testing positive. The transmission thing is a little misleading. No one knows a transmission rate. They do know percent of positive test rate.
Yes sorry for the confusion.

MY district sent the plans to the governor July 31. I will be sending my kids to school. We have one of the lowest transmission rates in the nation less than 1%.

The district plans to have K-6 going full 5 days a week. Grades 7-12 will be going every other day based on last name. A-M mon/wed and L-Z tues/thurs with alternating fridays. The rest of the days are remote. This ensures 50% capacity in school buildings. They are also putting plexi glass between desks in classes where they can’t fit desk 6ft apart. The plans were very extensive and I feel totally comfortable sending my kids back to school. I have a kindergartner and 7th grader. I’m relieved that the 5 year old will be going to school everyday. There is no way he or I would be able to sit in front of a computer all day on top of helping my 7th grader the days he would be home. I think we would strangle each other by weeks end.

Of course anyone who do not feel comfortable can sign up for full remote in all grades. With the transmission rates so low I’ll take my chances. It’s doing more harm than good for my kids to be sitting at home all day.
Just an FYI, our county schools were told by the fire marshalls that we cannot use plexiglass in a school due to the fact that it is a fire hazard. Schools had already ordered it so it was such a waste of money.

My district is a suburb of New York City. We were told on Friday that the latest plan is to have a hybrid situation. The elementary students will come in 2 cohorts every day. Group A will come from 8:30-11:00. The classrooms will be cleaned from 11-12:45. Group B will come from 12:45-3:15. They are hiring extra custodians to help clean. The middle and high students will cohort in a Monday/Tuesday group and a Thursday/Friday group. Wednesdays will be used for deep cleaning and remote learning will take place. The plan seems to change weekly so who knows what will actually take place!

Im picturing in my head the Fall and Winter season when people cannot tell the difference between this coronavirus and the seasonal cold/flu. Everyone is going to be suspicious of each other; Doctor’s offices will be booked with people trying to get a note; Diagnostic tests being backed up even more than the one to two weeks that we have in places now.
No they won't. The offices won't be seeing anyone with symptoms similar to Covid.

I had my annual check up this week and asked about getting the shingles vaccine I was told to get last year but didn't get done. She advised me to wait since it can cause symptoms similar to Covid and they wouldn't be able to see me without a negative Covid test. As a point of reference, my friend's husband got a Covid test 3 weeks ago. It took 15 days to get the results back.

No they won't. The offices won't be seeing anyone with symptoms similar to Covid.

I had my annual check up this week and asked about getting the shingles vaccine I was told to get last year but didn't get done. She advised me to wait since it can cause symptoms similar to Covid and they wouldn't be able to see me without a negative Covid test. As a point of reference, my friend's husband got a Covid test 3 weeks ago. It took 15 days to get the results back.
Ok, the emergency clincs or testing sites will be swamped. Idea is the same: it will be a mess trying to figure out whether it is seasonal allergies, the flu, a cold, or Covid. Our good friends who are family practice docs are dreading it.

I was actually reading that they wonder if there will be much flu this year. Various countries around the world have seen dramatic drops in flu due to social distancing, mask wearing, washing hands frequently, even the idea that one virus could be blocking another type, etc. Apparently the downside is they are quite concerned that without enough people people getting it the next year will be even worse. Go figure can't have it be good I guess either way.

Obviously no one knows at this point for this upcoming flu season. I just thought it was interesting because of how much talk we've had with warnings about fall and flu season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/covid-19-pandemic-flu-fall-doctor/ (there are multiple sources covering this if you want a different one)

Limitations always follow with respects to numbers used for review of illnesses present in places.

The story on the news also mentioned group singing and chanting. Not smart on the camps (or the parents) part to allow the children to be unmasked.

My daughter's school doesn't require masks and still plans to allow the kids to go to the playground every day. They refused to offer virtual until a lot of us parents threatened to withdraw. It's a charter so they don't have the same rules as the county and they have taken a very no-action approach to the virus.

My doctor's office will see you with whatever symptoms you have, and their tests come back in 2-5 days. (NYC)

My 7 year old has spent almost the entire summer at a YMCA day camp and will be returning to in person school on Sep. 1. There were 4 cases at his summer camp the first week it was open, all college age counselors thought to have gotten it at graduation parties, and nothing since.

My four year old returned to his university run day care center in June, there have been no cases there, and begins his 4k preschool program Sep. 1 as well.

Now with the Governor's order that went into effect yesterday, the 7 year old will be required to wear a mask all day for the next four weeks of camp, and for the first month of school. The 4 year old will not be required as of now, but some of the kids in his class/group will because they are 5.

My kids will be going as much as they can. We have seen how much their mental health suffered during the two months they were stuck home with us. The language abilities took a dramatic step backwards for the 4 year old, but has gotten much better in the two months he's been back at daycare with other kids.

Masks, as well as distancing, are a keys to reducing the transmission not eliminating it.
I think my post read as combative and it wasn’t intended to be at all . The tone was “geez I don’t even think masks would have stopped that freight train.It sounds like the camp was doing the bare minimum “ :scared:

I’m just so on the fence about this coming school year . I can see the need to keep them closed and the need to open up in equal measure . I just don’t think there are any clear cut answers here:worried:

Just an FYI, our county schools were told by the fire marshalls that we cannot use plexiglass in a school due to the fact that it is a fire hazard. Schools had already ordered it so it was such a waste of money.
Yes parents question that already and we were told by the superintendent that they are made from a material that is approved by the fire dept.

My 7 year old has spent almost the entire summer at a YMCA day camp and will be returning to in person school on Sep. 1. There were 4 cases at his summer camp the first week it was open, all college age counselors thought to have gotten it at graduation parties, and nothing since.

My four year old returned to his university run day care center in June, there have been no cases there, and begins his 4k preschool program Sep. 1 as well.

Now with the Governor's order that went into effect yesterday, the 7 year old will be required to wear a mask all day for the next four weeks of camp, and for the first month of school. The 4 year old will not be required as of now, but some of the kids in his class/group will because they are 5.

My kids will be going as much as they can. We have seen how much their mental health suffered during the two months they were stuck home with us. The language abilities took a dramatic step backwards for the 4 year old, but has gotten much better in the two months he's been back at daycare with other kids.
Completely agree. Living in NY we were one of the first state to get hit and hit bad in February. The schools my kids went to were one of the first to shut down. They have been home since March. For six months it’s been brutal for them. No school ,no activities, no hanging out with friends. I have a five year old and it’s getting to him. He needs school. Their minds need to be engaged and it’s a lot for one person to constantly entertain/teach. Things have finally calmed down here. As places start opening up there has not been an uptick in positive cases.

Give me a break. Fire marshalls once told us we couldn't use doorstops to prop our classroom doors open. How that was realistically a fire hazard, they never explained. They need to get a life imo.

Yes parents question that already and we were told by the superintendent that they are made from a material that is approved by the fire dept.
So strange because we are both in the same state. I teach in Westchester and they told us we can't use it. Which country are you in?

Give me a break. Fire marshalls once told us we couldn't use doorstops to prop our classroom doors open. How that was realistically a fire hazard, they never explained. They need to get a life imo.
Hahahahahaha. They told us the same thing which drives me nuts because my door slams every time it closes when a child goes to get water or to the bathroom. I honestly jump every time lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter