Are you nervous about cruising now due to war in Ukraine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I really feel for the Ukrainians whose lives have been upended with another case of human rush of blood. It's also such a sad state of affairs seeing US/NATO, Russia, and China bully the likes of Afghanistan, Ukraine, and Hong Kong, but get out of the way of someone of their own size.

I think these events will have an effect on travel demand in central and eastern Europe. It may also have an effect on the US appetite for summer travel to the continent. For those traveling, look for discounts in airfares, hotel rates, and cruise fares. The Baltic, Black Sea, and even Turkish port calls will have to be rescheduled - triggering some of these discounts.

Things should cool off by summer. The point Putin wants to make will have been made. And the economic sanctions, while initially underwhelming, will have a snowballing impact on Russian economy the more this drags on.

I’m most concerned for the Ukrainian (and Russian) crew members I’ve worked with over the years. Seeing their posts on social media is heart breaking. (Even though DCL don’t have that many compared to other lines.)
Cruises and their multimillion dollar companies will be fine.

Got to say I had enough ( I worry a lot ) worries with covid test before leaving home ..and the one onboard and not be positive
now you had this needless to say I am a nerve wreck
don’t get me wrong I feel deeply for all who are innocent humans involve in this

but cannot help to worry ..worry on what could happen bego or while I am onboard
and being stuck not able to get back home ( Canada )

i am so looking forward to this cruise and now another thing to worry about

Yeah I'm not worried about nukes raining this side of the world (or anywhere)
But something as a major cyber attack by Russia that shuts down the financial institutions is really worrisome
A Russian official said that if the west targets their SWIFT (the financial key needed to do banking transactions) it would considered a declaration of war.

We are on the WBPC next week. Not worried about safety per se on that one but i did just ask DH if we should pull several thousand $ out of bank and hide it under our bed in case the world goes crazy by the end of the cruise.

We have two European trips scheduled June (two-week Danube River from BudaPest to Germany) and July (two-week Norway Fjords from Amsterdam). Waiting to see what happens in next few months. Until this week, i was most worried about covid. Sigh.....

We are on the WBPC next week. Not worried about safety per se on that one but i did just ask DH if we should pull several thousand $ out of bank and hide it under our bed in case the world goes crazy by the end of the cruise.

We have two European trips scheduled June (two-week Danube River from BudaPest to Germany) and July (two-week Norway Fjords from Amsterdam). Waiting to see what happens in next few months. Until this week, i was most worried about covid. Sigh.....

Smart thinking. Take extra cash for that cruise too.
I know we will. In case a major cyber attack happens and you can't pay for a hotel or a flight back, etc with a cc.
The president of the US said today in response to a question whether Russia will attack America with nukes (Putin issued an idiotic threat to the west in case they get involved):
"I have no idea" he said.. well, that's so reassuring!

At present the war’s in a confined area and NATO seems resolute in not fighting the conflict themselves so I don’t think there’s anything to worry about unless you’re on the Northern Europe sailings which I could see being affected.
In a confined area… but on all borders, time will tell.

The only thing you should worry about right now is your cruise vacation.:confused3

Yeah I'm not worried about nukes raining this side of the world (or anywhere)
But something as a major cyber attack by Russia that shuts down the financial institutions is really worrisome
A Russian official said that if the west targets their SWIFT (the financial key needed to do banking transactions) it would considered a declaration of war.
It's more likely to take out the power, water, cell service. It would basically shut down everything. It would be devasting.

Just in case anyone is interested here is a snippet from a recent post from an assistant server of mine on The Wonder who is currently on leave from The Dream and lives in The Ukraine.

Dear friends all over the world! First day of this madness is over and thank God we are safe for now. We managed to get cash and all essentials- it was quite a task, trust me! We are all very tired, had to pack “emergency bags” in case if we will have to leave immediately. Local officials are expecting attacks at night so it was advised to secure the windows/glass. When? How? Where? Why? Nobody has answers to that.

Who said it’s the ONLY thing OP is worried about? 🙄 It’s possible to worry about the situation in Ukraine and feel extreme empathy for their people, while also wondering how the situation may impact your plans. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Of course I'm sad about what's happening in Ukraine, but it will fall into the hands of a tyrant & the world is just watching.
I'm worried things will get out of control and it spills here. Things like a cyber attack will impact all of us in ways that cruising will be the least of our worries. I will stock up on water, food and cash just in case. I suggest everyone does.
If nothing happens, great. Treat this as a hurricane forming in the Atlantic. Hope it doesn't come here, and likely won't, but be prepared.

Of course I'm sad about what's happening in Ukraine, but it will fall into the hands of a tyrant & the world is just watching.
I'm worried things will get out of control and it spills here. Things like a cyber attack will impact all of us in ways that cruising will be the least of our worries. I will stock up on water, food and cash just in case. I suggest everyone does.
If nothing happens, great. Treat this as a hurricane forming in the Atlantic. Hope it doesn't come here, and likely won't, but be prepared.
I was shocked at the food lines going on for miles when Texas had its power outage. Growing up next to an earthquake fault being prepared to go at least a couple of weeks without power was ingrained in me. I have always had an emergency supply of food. It doesn't cost a lot to be prepared. Anything can happen anywhere.

I am concerned about our Celebrity Cruise in the Mediterranean that includes Italy, Greece, Turkey and Israel that is scheduled for October.

Smart thinking. Take extra cash for that cruise too.
I know we will. In case a major cyber attack happens and you can't pay for a hotel or a flight back, etc with a cc.
The president of the US said today in response to a question whether Russia will attack America with nukes (Putin issued an idiotic threat to the west in case they get involved):
"I have no idea" he said.. well, that's so reassuring!

If something like this happens there will be FAR greater issues than paying for a hotel or flight.... You wouldn't be able to fly because all flights would be grounded and the hotel wouldn't be equipped to handle that chaos that ensued either. Cash will do very little for you.

I am concerned about our Celebrity Cruise in the Mediterranean that includes Italy, Greece, Turkey and Israel that is scheduled for October.
Interestingly, Celebrity is one of the few cruise lines I've seen re-affirm their intention to port in St. Petersburg unless the situation further deteriorates. Obviously it's not directly relevant to your itinerary, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Not worried for myself or my family, since we won't be stopping in Ukraine or Russia any time soon. I do worry for the Ukrainians. It sucks to be taken over like that, but I hope at least it isn't violent for their sake. They are getting a raw deal though.

I personally would not travel to Europe for awhile and I don't consider myself a terriby risk adverse person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter