• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you doing your part for the economy?

We still get restaurant food as much as before, but it’s all carryout, so smaller bills (no bar drinks or appetizers about cuts the bill in half)

We did go to Hilton Head for 2 weeks in July, but spent only a fraction of what we usually do because we cooked in the condo more and only got carryout.

We did buy a new van a few weeks ago, so that was a huge chunk of change.

I’ve only been into Target 3 or 4 times since March. That has been hundreds and hundreds of dollars not spent.

Im doing way more than my fair share. But Im not complaining what so ever. Im kinda loving it actually.

Restaurants - We have not eaten out since early March. Not even takeout.

(Movie)Theater- I only go to the theater 1-2x per year. But we're at zero.

Tourism - Another huge decline. Not traveling at all. If this continues into next summer, we might rent an RV.

Airlines- I would not fly now.

Things for the house- This is where our money has gone--got a new roof, getting a new deck this fall. Might get a new couch and fridge. Got a new bed and washing machine last month. Planning on putting in some new flooring into one bedroom and doing some repainting. The other "things for the house" are my kittens, who I call Thing1 and Thing2 even though that's not their names. Living the life of The Cat in the Hat here . . .

Taxi/Uber/ Lyft--Nope. Only did when we are in cities anyway.

Bars- No, though my husband seems to want to do his part for the liquor store.

I need to do a better job. What about you?

restaurants. Mine is way down on the way it was before covid.

movie theater- haven’t seen a movie since they reopened in my area last month.With really nothing special didn’t feel like going.
regal going to close all its theaters in the USA on oct 8.

tourism- I’m doing ok here. Last month went to Hilton head. Dec going to wdw and universal.

airlines- flying in December for vacation

things for the house- need to do better. I did get a shed.

taxi/Uber/ Lyft- nothing from me so far but that’s normal.

bars- nothing from me but that’s normal.
we all must do what we can for the economy. i need to do better. So sad millions of people are out of a job

Restaurants- Down- the spring closure helped us establish some better habits in that area. Also, summer here was too hot to eat outside and case numbers were way too high to feel safe indoors.

Movie theaters- we rarely went before Covid and haven’t been since they reopened. I see this as one that won’t survive. The habit has been broken and studios have realized that they can do well with the $20 streaming releases.

Tourism-all cancelled and no plans through the end of the year. We had Italy planned for June. DH started a new job in March, went to work one day, and then worked from home for 2 months. Due to the new job and him wanting to actually be there/meet his coworkers and travel restrictions to Italy and any place on our plans for the next few years, we cancelled travel rather than spend the money to go somewhere we really didn’t want to be and deal with the uncertainty or diminished experiences. We do have alternate domestic plans for Spring Break and summer ‘21 If Europe doesn’t open up.

Airlines- see above

House- new roof, new main plumbing line, new garage door opener, and other smaller things

uber/Lyft- zero- last used locally on New Years Eve. Last used for travel late January in NYC. There’s been no local need with major events and weddings cancelled.

Bars- they are still mostly closed here. Those that had the ability to serve food were allowed to open. Since then and with the cooler weather September brought, we have been to a couple that have good outdoor socially distant seating to listen to live music. I think 4 times in the last 6 weeks or so. We like to support the local musicians and the local craft brew pub and a nearby brewery that we have enjoyed for years.

Last edited:
I guess I have a slightly different perspective on supporting “local”. Small business is not the only sector under pressure. And every retailer and restaurant is “local” when it’s in your community and is employing your family and friends. Chain restaurants, chain retailers and fast-food giants may seem like faceless mega-corps but they close the doors on locations that aren’t viable just like mom-and-pops and leave many more people out of work when they do. Please remember that an occasional meal at Red Lobster or a purchase made at Pottery Barn is also necessary to keep your neighbours employed. :flower3:

restaurants. We started ordering in a bit more back in the spring as had extra money with many things cancelled. Back to ordering in couple times a month only. As for eating out we have a few times. I've met a friend for supper on occasion.

movie theater- I have been couple times.

tourism- We did go out to the mountains and did some hiking.

airlines- I won't fly to the US right now as would have to quarantine for 14 days upon returning home. Plus I don't think its safe as their cases as so high. No where in Canada I need to fly to right now. Would have to quarantine for 14 day upon returning home from Eastern Canada too.

things for the house- we have done a few projects but my husband is not working full time so its minimal

taxi/Uber/ Lyft- nope. I drive or bike. Kids take public transit to and from school some.

bars- nope. Not in about 20 years.

Depends on what part of the economy you’re talking about.
I'm actively stimulating the savings and real estate portion of the market currently.

I'm teaching full time in person. Supporting small, local businesses. When I do support the travel industries, restaurants, etc., I get a lot of judgement from people who tell me I should sit inside at home.

We don't eat out as much as we did before this but still go out once a week.

I used to go the movies quite a bit. Haven't been to one since they reopened but mostly cause I have no interest in anything playing.

I just want to add I am sadden by how many don't go to the theatre anymore. Watching at home isn't the same. The theatres here have really upgraded their seats so it makes it like at home but with better screens and better sound.

Tourism. We have done a few road trips in our region and have done a couple of weekend trips.

Not flying and have my own car so never take Uber/Lyft.

Bars. We still go once or twice a week. Mainly when the NHL playoffs were on.

I'm trying to do my best to help local businesses as much as I can.

I'm surprised at how many people really don't go out that much anymore even before Covid.

We joined a club back in Feb just before SHTF. We wondered if we had a made a wise choice, especially after I lost my job in April. However, once the club reopened in June we were glad we did! We had a pool to use, gym, golf, tennis, outdoor dining, all at the same place with very minimal contact with others, and the other people there were all the same ones. That is where we have done the majority of our dining/drinking out. Since I wasn’t working I was at the pool several days a week until it closed after Labor Day.

We‘ve done takeout from a few other restaurants and hit the occasional drive thru for fast food. We met some friends at a local brewery and sat on the patio, still not comfortable being inside with a bunch of people we don’t know. Have also kept our local wine shop stimulated!

Travel, had a cruise booked for June that was cancelled. Debated and decided to keep our flights and rented a townhouse at Windsor Hills and just had a low key Florida vacation. Drove to Asheville, NC (from Ohio) in July for 3 nights, stayed in a cabin on top of a mountain, could not have been more socially distant lol, it was remote!

Have spent more on groceries than normal, and quite a few things for house too. Painted during lockdown, then bought a couch, pool table, some new decor...if we have to spend so much time at home, especially during the winter, we want to enjoy it. Do order from Amazon, mostly for random items that I might have to go to several stores to find. Have bought some clothing items locally but hate that I can’t try them on first so some have been returned.

Only use Uber/Lyft while on vacation or to and from the airport so haven’t used it since we went to WDW in Feb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter