• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are you considering not renewing your Annual Pass?

We are on and off AP holders too. We will not be renewing. We bought while they were selling the old platinum passes and held it until December, when we activated. We went in December 21, we are here now for spring break, we have a week planned at Thanksgiving, and we may try and do a day in the summer when we are in the area for an event unrelated to Disney.

That being said, I really dislike Genie +, and we aren’t early risers. I set and alarm, get on at 7 to book an ILL and a genie + LL, then 2 hours after park opening I make another LL, then we finally roll to the park and eventually enough time has passed that I can make a 3rd LL. After that most of the big ticket ride times are gone or we don’t want to stay in the park from 1-9pm. My family likes to put in 3-4 hours and head out, which of course is a personal preference so part of our problem is self-inflicted. However, with the fastpass service I could stack 3 rides back to back and at least we’d get the 3 rides we wanted within 2-3 hours and sometimes I could snag a 4th and 5th after. It also makes me feel nickled and dimed - I mean, we can afford it, but we paid a ton for annual passes and DVC and then it’s at minimum $15 a day per person to *maybe* get in the lightning lane when I want? I dunno - I feel a bit sour about it.

We’ve decided to probably take 2023 off, unless we come down for one night to do Tron if and when it opens. I think we will use our DVC points to do Vero Beach, or Aulani, or maybe just bank them for a nicer stay in 2024 and spend some times exploring other destinations. It might be nice to take a long break from WDW and come back in 2024 excited and refreshed!

My annual pass was due for renewal during my November trip and I gave a lot of hard thought as to whether or not I was going to let it drop after 20+ years. I was used to making "easy" WDW trips 3 or 4 times a year but the experience has been devalued for me due to loss of Fastpass+, the addition of Genie+/LL$, no Magical Express/luggage delivery, Park Reservations/no hopping until 2pm, resort parking fees, reduced early/late park entry for resort guests, no package delivery to resorts, and the pressure to utilize a cell phone for everything (I want to put that thing AWAY on vacation!). On the last day of my trip I finally decided to go ahead and give it another year, mainly because it wasn't feasible to travel internationally at that point due to covid. Depending on the situation when November rolls around this year, I may re-evaluate.

Ironically, I got a survey about APs a couple of weeks ago. It asked if I was going to renew, why I wasn't going to renew, if I felt Disney valued me as a passholder, why I did not feel valued, etc. I kind of unloaded a lot of my frustration on them and was brutally honest about the reservation system, 2 PM park hopping, G+/ILL$, no TiW, a pitiful discount on the after-hour Christmas event, removing Memory Maker and charging extra to add it back, and a lot more that I can't recall. It was a long survey but there were opportunities to give detailed explanations as to why I felt the way that I do.

I hope that Disney gets the message. But a part of me believes that they don't want passholders to renew. Every passholder that doesn't renew means more room for guests that are buying full-price tickets. So maybe they want to know what discourages people from renewing so that they can keep doing it.

I'll put my tinfoil hat away now.

My family renewed, but seriously considered not. Instead of not getting passes, we decided to cut out TS. Very rarely do we get CS either. Usually we only get snacks. We’re local. Eat at home before going to a park, then grab a bite on the way home.

Back in 2000 and for years after that, we ate somewhere at Disney every Thursday night.

Money is tight. But Disney is our happy place. And I’d rather cut corners elsewhere than AP.

Ironically, I got a survey about APs a couple of weeks ago. It asked if I was going to renew, why I wasn't going to renew, if I felt Disney valued me as a passholder, why I did not feel valued, etc. I kind of unloaded a lot of my frustration on them and was brutally honest about the reservation system, 2 PM park hopping, G+/ILL$, no TiW, a pitiful discount on the after-hour Christmas event, removing Memory Maker and charging extra to add it back, and a lot more that I can't recall. It was a long survey but there were opportunities to give detailed explanations as to why I felt the way that I do.

I hope that Disney gets the message. But a part of me believes that they don't want passholders to renew. Every passholder that doesn't renew means more room for guests that are buying full-price tickets. So maybe they want to know what discourages people from renewing so that they can keep doing it.

I'll put my tinfoil hat away now.
Thank you!

If there is any hope of reversing some of the negative changes we have to speak up. Thanks for doing that.

Ours expired last week, and sad to say, we are not renewing. Not a fan at all of Genie or LL. The magic for us is the memories we have; and maybe someday we'll be back. The value for us was in all the special Disney extras, many of which have not returned. I'm pretty good at finding great values in travel, and Disney hasn't held. The kids are excited about a week+ trip to Discovery Cove and the SeaWorld parks this summer - new memories I hope. Hoping Disney rediscovers what made it so special all those years.

It’s the lawsuit. If you look at the facts, Disney advertised and sold one thing and then did not honor it. They will most likely settle if possible, if they lose, and they will, the bad PR might hurt them.

Plus, it’s a good reason to not sell passes. Tickets cost much more. This will definitely cut down the locals at the parks. Problem solved.

Thank you to everyone who shared.

It sounds to me like there are more people like me who are at least analyzing if they will continue with their annual passes. It also sounds like many of you are considering renewing as you too are concerned that you may never be able to get annual passes again if you do not renew.

Fortunately, I have a few more months (and at least one more trip) before I make the final decision.

I guess one of the biggest pros of having annual passes has also been the biggest cons. We have found ways to be frugal on our Disney vacations, which has allowed us to do more Disney vacations. APs give you admission, they also give you free parking. And, yes, that merchandise discount is nice too.

But on the down side, we have not had some other experiences. While my children have been to Seaworld, they have not been to Universal. Hard to justify spending $1,000 going to Universal for a day, when we can walk in to Hollywood studios basically for free. During the early days of the pandemic, cheap gas and cheap hotels made going to Disney a no brainier. Perhaps it is time for my family to take a break. There are other places to visit. I am really considering spending our vacation budget elsewhere.

I also really appreciate that this discussion did not spiral out of control.

Definitely a big dilemma and something to consider. My youngest started college this past fall. Originally, I was not going to renew her pass (October renewal). But then I saw that she sometimes needed that break to get away for a quick weekend - or even a day when classes allowed. We are from Maryland. It really broke up her school year and allowed some destress time at Disney without me worrying about paying for 1-3 day tickets each time. I honestly would not have done this with my oldest. He needed to be in school with no distractions during the semester. Now he's graduating and ready to join us on long weekends again - but we can't get him an AP! (like you said - first World problems)

Hubby asked me a few years ago if he and I could just keep renewing. He likes our trips and wants to make sure we don't feel guilty about adding a weekend from time to time. ;-)

Of course, you know your family best and should determine what makes the most sense for you.

One of the factors into my decision, my son is in an aerospace engineering program in High School. Several of the colleges he is considering are in the "Greater Disney Area". So, again, I wonder, do I renew in July of 2022, just to somewhat guarantee that I could get him a pass in July of 2023, just because he might choose a collage that is in that area?

Or do I get over my FOMO, and just let it go. On a recent college visit, our tour guide did mention that a lot of the students have APs to the various attractions in Orlando, and will often make a day trip.

Sounds like if Disney APs are never available again, and if he goes to one of the Florida schools, many of his classmates would be in the same boat. Perhaps if all that happens, then we consider getting him a Universal AP.

Again, at least I have a few months to decide.

I debated not renewing, but decided to downgrade to a lower level pass instead. It made sense for me to have a Platinum Pass when I got six weeks of vacation, but I am still unemployed right now and know I won’t get that much vacation time starting a new job. So I may be reducing my time at the parks, but I am not ready to give it up completely. I have had an AP since the early 80’s, so it would feel really strange to not have one.

And here I am very impatiently waiting for them to start selling them again. Hoping it's sooner than later. Then I will jump right on the moment they are available. Soooo regret not getting it when they were available.

I am finally reactivating our recovery passes for a 2 week trip next month. I have been holding out hoping that things were going to get back to normal. Instead, things are getting worse with each new announced “magical enhancement “. If I didn’t have the passes sitting there I would not be planning any trips at all. And If the upcoming trip pans out the way I expect it to, I will not be renewing.

We will not be renewing our AP(DVC). There have been too many changes that compromise our fun and care-free vacations at WDW. I’m considering an AP to universal in 2023 (the price difference is rather shocking and there is no planning stress (restaurants, genie). We have a vacay to WDW in September and after that plan to go some other places with our family. I miss 2012-2019. Those were my happiest years at WDW.

We own DVC so will be visiting at least once a year (unless borders close) and I love the flexibility of being able to stay for 10-20 days each visit and pop into parks whenever I feel like it. With an AP, I don’t constantly feel the need to GO GO GO at the parks, or that I’m missing out by doing a resort day. AP makes me enjoy my vacation more.

We have also travelled to a lot of places before we had a kid. I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather take my daughter to than Disney (willing to consider California, Paris, Shanghai, etc but that flight length and time change isn’t great for us). Will reassess family vacation plans in 3-4 years but plan to renew our APs until then.

My sister and I are both out-of-state AP holders. Neither of us has DVC. We are both renewing at the earliest opportunity, which is 60 days before expiration.

All the trips we've taken to WDW since May '21 have been using AP discounts on resorts. That alone is worth something. And we intend to keep going to WDW. We still love it there, despite the changes.

But I am not a G+ apologist. I do not like the system, however, we've learned how to use it in a way that suits us and that works out most (not all) of the time.

I will renew shortly when my window opens, but at a lower level. I have legacy Platinum now, but I don't see the value in the Incredible-Pass. I bought the Platinum when I moved to Central Florida 4 years ago. After the down payment it was $52 per month. I went often, so it was worth it. There have been price hikes since, but the jump to Incredible-Pass is, well...incredibly bad. In 4 years to go from $52 per month to $99 per month in the space of 4 years (I'm just over $60 per month now) - and get less for it- is a deal breaker for me.
Sorcerer Pass will keep me near my current costs and I don't plan on going during holiday blackout periods anyhow, so that will work just fine. Frankly, I may even go all the way to the Pixie Dust level. I've already done Christmas Day in the parks, I avoid weekends and holiday periods, so I can save a few $$ and still have my AP.
I'll make my decision in a couple weeks.

Unless Disney knocks our socks off on our next 2 trips, and actually does something special for Epcot’s 40th, we will not be renewing.

We used to buy no expiration park-hoppers, but after a year or two after buying DVC, we bought an annual pass. We really liked not feeling we had to get the full ticket value out of every park day, and we’ve pretty much only gone with AP’s since then. We did have a gap when we were doing some other travel, and then bought gold APs again during the brief window when they sold them in summer 2020, and squeezed in a gold renewal in the window between when they announced the new pass structure but before they started selling them.

It is a little scary to think I might never be able to buy an AP again, but that’s no reason to spend $800 when I want a break from the crazy downgrades to my park experience.

DVC is only a discounted hotel, they like to point out when they take away perks. Okay, that means I only owe them my dues, and not any of my other vacation dollars. I’m not renting out my points during our probable park-break (why give Disney shiny new spenders?) Nope, I can enjoy the savannah at AKL, go to Seaworld or Universal, and if I can’t get into Epcot and all of the food booths, well, maybe we can finally fit in some of those restaurants at Disney Springs.

Worse case scenario and they never sell me one again, I can save points to take a two week trip and buy a 8-10 day ticket and have some non-park days to actually relax on vacation. Never having an AP would possibly save us money because we would consider our souvenir purchases more carefully!

If you want to go to the parks next year more than one trip, then yes renew. But if you wanted a break, don’t give Disney a lot of money just to preserve the possible chance to give them even more money in the future. And keep in mind they could always decide not to allow renewals - then you’d really upset if that was your only reason for renewing this year.

DVC owner. Absolutely renewing.

maybe if a Large number of people don’t renew, they will start Selling passes to those people who have never had a pass and Who enjoy WDW and who don’t gripe about the “magic” being gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter