Are we crazy to go between Christmas and New Years?

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
We'll be visiting family in FL over the holidays this year and my husband suggested we do a couple days at WDW or universal mid-week between Christmas and New Years. I've heard how packed the parks can be around the holidays (though the undercover tourist crowd calendar has that period listed as "average"), so I'm a little hesitant about going. Thoughts? Is it usually crazy busy or is it doable? Thanks!

We will be going during that time as well. We did this about ten years ago and it was one of our best trips!

To me it's about the atmosphere and decorations. We are going with the expectation of huge crowds, and will be building time in for more sit down meals, touring the resorts and spending time at our resort and hopefully weather permitting the water parks.

I love late nights so the longer hours really appeal to me.

I can't imagine going this week for a first and or once in a lifetime type trip. But since we go often, low expectations of how much we ride and soaking in the details make it worthwhile to us.

It's crazy busy. We went that week in 2015 and, while we had a good time, if we ever did it again (which we won't!), I would do the following: 1) If going to MK, go at RD and plan to leave around 1 pm and don't go back (in reality, if we went again, we wouldn't go to MK AT ALL at this time. We went on 12/29 that week and could barely move because it was so crowded). 2) Make FP+ in advance, hit a major ride at RD and don't expect to ride anything else other than that ride and the FP+ rides because the lines will be THAT long. 3) If doing EP, hit WS as soon as it opens and do FW when CP is going on (the lines for CP in the evening make walking around WS virtually impossible). If you want to do CP, book the dining package. 4) DHS, that year anyway, wasn't too bad (this was the last year of Osbourne Lights, so that was surprising). 5) AK wasn't bad, but, again, go at RD and plan to leave if it gets too crowded for you. (We knew there would be crowds, so we took the opportunity to do Wild Africa Trek that week as we had always wanted to do it and knew it would be a good way to see AK away from the crowds. 6) Tour the deluxe resorts to see the decorations, go to the Boardwalk for the evening entertainment 7) Do NOT go to DS (it was a crowded nightmare.)

If you can handle super large, almost-to-capacity (and sometimes to capacity crowds), by all means go. If you can go at ANY OTHER TIME, don't! This past year, we went the week before Christmas and high-tailed it out of there by Dec. 22 and it was much, much more doable.

We went last year. There are no words to adequately describe "busy" at this time of year. With that said, it really depends on what type of experience you are looking to have. If this is a first time or rare, infrequent visit, then I would encourage you to find a different time to go. If you are WDW veterans and can handle spending more of your time relaxing and soaking up the holiday ambiance, either hanging in the parks or at the resort, then go for it. We found that if we rope dropped and scheduled FP for later in the day or evening, we could enjoy our favorite attractions, but not much beyond that (I have a son on the autism spectrum who doesn't handle lines very well, and I would describe the crowds as 'crushing', especially around NYE). Overall, even though it was a great trip, my kids said they don't want to go again during Dec. break. Myself, I could go either way, although it is definitely nothing like a summer vacation.

It depends on your expectations. I go with close friends every second year and have a blast. But, keys -

1) We are all adults
2) We are all/mostly all AP holders, so have done before and will do again
3) We are willing to tour "at the edges." RD every morning, 2-3 hours of fast-paced touring, then OUT. GIANT nap. Back after dinnertime and close the parks out. Sleep few hours... repeat.

You couldn't pay me to be there midday. Or with little kids who couldn't flip their schedules.

We'll be there 12/19--12/28 and I have to keep telling myself not to freak out about the crowds. This will be our 6th Disney trip but our first during Christmas. My kids are old enough to expect the crowd sizes to be even bigger than our spring break trip (which got pretty dang crowded at times)! We'll just keep reminding ourselves that this will be a different kind of trip....more about the magic than how many rides we can do before lunch.

I'm reading all I can about touring tips and hoping to find ideas for things to do that we wouldn't have made time for during a less crowded trip.

The short answer is yes, you're crazy! However, if you're okay with crowds and know how to enjoy the atmosphere without obsessing over rides, you can still make it into a nice vacation. Reservations are a must for table service meals Expect very long lines at counter service) and use fast pass for the rides that are a must. If seeing the Candlelight Processional is on your list, try to get a meal package.

My grandson uses an app on his phone that keeps him up to date with current wait times, both fast pass and stand-by, and he has a rule of thumb that 30 minutes is the max for waiting in line for anything. Anything! That seems to work well.

Bottom line: Don't let the crowds overwhelm you. Think of it as a great opportunity to "people-watch."

This will not be our first (nor our last) trip to WDW. I anticipate going Dec 2018 (earlier in the month though) for a full week to enjoy the holiday decor and park time. We'll be visiting family in FL over Christmas and New Years and are trying to decide what to do for a couple days mid-week. I am a good planner (Fps, ADRs, etc.), and it may be a good opportunity to do some of the attractions we missed last time. But I would hate to go and spend the whole time waiting in lines. Kiddos will be 2.5 and 5, so probably a little young for Universal. Any other parks/activities we should consider instead?

This will not be our first (nor our last) trip to WDW. I anticipate going Dec 2018 (earlier in the month though) for a full week to enjoy the holiday decor and park time. We'll be visiting family in FL over Christmas and New Years and are trying to decide what to do for a couple days mid-week. I am a good planner (Fps, ADRs, etc.), and it may be a good opportunity to do some of the attractions we missed last time. But I would hate to go and spend the whole time waiting in lines. Kiddos will be 2.5 and 5, so probably a little young for Universal. Any other parks/activities we should consider instead?

It's going to be crowded, and yes many can do it, have a great time because they go knowing the attractions will be crazy ... good time to enjoy other things but I don't think that will work for your kid's ages.

I would look at SeaWorld, they have awesome Christmas decor and shows, and of course the animals. We went a couple years ago and they really do it right. https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/christmas-celebration/

Look at going to Legoland, perfect for younger kids. They also do a big Christmas event the kids might love. (I want to go as an adult).
https://www.legoland.com/florida/planning-your-visit/special-events/christmas-bricktacular/

If looking for smaller and low key look at Sea Life under the Orlando Eye. Kids will love it! https://www.visitsealife.com/orlando/

There are also Legoland/SeaLife combo tickets you can look at. Sign up for emails they often do deals/specials. I know it's holiday time but you never know.

Last edited:
It does depend on how you like crowds. My father and sister cannot handle that level of crowds. They're all about the rides, and they really don't like that they can't do their ninja touring thing that week. They're soooo crabby.

My mother and other siblings and I are more about the decorations and people watching. I mean, I love rides, but even in the summer, I really only count on riding my fast pass rides. I do rope drop rarely and I don't really like waiting in line unless the posted time is really short due to weather or something. I love holiday stuff and don't mind crowds at stuff like festivals or holiday events. So it's fun if it's just us but torturous if we make the mistake of going as a family.

I wouldn't do Universal because to me that park is about the rides. Legoland could be fun, especially for kids that age. But if I had to pick a theme park to go to at Christmas, it would be Disney. There's just so much to do and see that doesn't necessarily involve lines.

I love Disney during the holidays. Yes, the crowds are absolutely hectic. Wait times for everything will be long. The old Meet Anna and Elsa in MK was hovering on 3 hours all week. Space Mountain was teetering on 4. Test Track at 4 1/2 to 5. If you don't have a Fastpass for an "E-Ticket" don't even bother. I found it funny that Stitch's Great Escape had a 60 minute wait at one point!

If you don't have an ADR, don't even bother walking to the restaurant, hoping for an opening. Don't try to make Be Our Guest without a reservation happen. It's not going to happen.

The hours are long, yes, but that's because there's so many people there, it's the only way to actually control the crowds is to let them leave on their own. Getting out after Wishes (now Happily Ever After)... it felt like a traffic jam downtown in the middle of rush hour on Friday.

Basically, keep your expectations low. I hate to say it, but it's true. Anything you get after that is just gravy. But don't expect to be able to go commando in any park that week, there's just too many people.

Then why do I love Disney during the holidays? Because of something I just enjoy doing, for no real reason whatsoever. I love to just sit on a bench, munching on a hot dog and a soda, and watch the world walk past. I do this at the mall on Black Friday. I'll do this at MK on New Year's Eve. I love watching the ebb and flow of people moving seemingly randomly, and yet, no one really bowls anyone else over.

There's an energy at Disney I can't explain during the holidays. Just something about everyone expecting the year to end, and wanting to do it at The Happiest Place on Earth. Everyone is buzzing with anticipation.

If you get a chance, go see The Candlelight Processional at Epcot before the 30th. It was one of the highlights of my last trip.

They're all about the rides, and they really don't like that they can't do their ninja touring thing that week.

What's ninja touring? Is that the same as going commando?

I love Disney during the holidays. Yes, the crowds are absolutely hectic. Wait times for everything will be long. The old Meet Anna and Elsa in MK was hovering on 3 hours all week. Space Mountain was teetering on 4. Test Track at 4 1/2 to 5. If you don't have a Fastpass for an "E-Ticket" don't even bother. I found it funny that Stitch's Great Escape had a 60 minute wait at one point!

If you don't have an ADR, don't even bother walking to the restaurant, hoping for an opening. Don't try to make Be Our Guest without a reservation happen. It's not going to happen.

The hours are long, yes, but that's because there's so many people there, it's the only way to actually control the crowds is to let them leave on their own. Getting out after Wishes (now Happily Ever After)... it felt like a traffic jam downtown in the middle of rush hour on Friday.

Basically, keep your expectations low. I hate to say it, but it's true. Anything you get after that is just gravy. But don't expect to be able to go commando in any park that week, there's just too many people.

Then why do I love Disney during the holidays? Because of something I just enjoy doing, for no real reason whatsoever. I love to just sit on a bench, munching on a hot dog and a soda, and watch the world walk past. I do this at the mall on Black Friday. I'll do this at MK on New Year's Eve. I love watching the ebb and flow of people moving seemingly randomly, and yet, no one really bowls anyone else over.

There's an energy at Disney I can't explain during the holidays. Just something about everyone expecting the year to end, and wanting to do it at The Happiest Place on Earth. Everyone is buzzing with anticipation.

If you get a chance, go see The Candlelight Processional at Epcot before the 30th. It was one of the highlights of my last trip.

What's ninja touring? Is that the same as going commando?

Lol. Yes. For some reason the word "commando" escaped me momentarily so I subbed in ninja.

Good way to describe the parks btw- it truly is the "energy" that makes it special.

We'll be visiting family in FL over the holidays this year and my husband suggested we do a couple days at WDW or universal mid-week between Christmas and New Years. I've heard how packed the parks can be around the holidays (though the undercover tourist crowd calendar has that period listed as "average"), so I'm a little hesitant about going. Thoughts? Is it usually crazy busy or is it doable? Thanks!

We've done it the past 2 years and it's very crazy. The parks are basically unmanageable after a certain point, for me any way. We went to the parks early, and then hung out at the resorts in the afternoon and evenings, swimming and having dinner. We did eat dinner in the park on NYE and it wasn't bad. But if you're trying to see things and ride the rides, it will be pretty hectic

Yes, but were are going to be crazy too. It's the only time my college and high school kids can come with us. We are well aware of crowds. Have been doing it for several years now. Kids have learned to get up very early, and patience.

Agree with Hopper regarding SeaWorld for the holidays --- I love Disney as much as the next fanatic, but they should really take a page out of the SW book as far as the holidays --- their "Santas Fireside Feast" is THEE best holiday event that we've attended for the holidays --- and the entire park is decorated and beautiful --- last year they had a meet and great with the Rudolph characters--- it was amazing !!

We are planning on this year being #5 for us going during that time. My kids don't remember a time when we weren't at Disney on Christmas. We usually arrive a few days before and stay a few days after. Have an awesome time :-) We do use a tour guide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter