Are they still doing this at Deluxe hotels

We have been coming to Disney regularly since 2017 from out of state, several times a year. Since 2018 we only stay at the deluxes and have gotten club level several times and no, I have no idea what you are talking about. Chocolates on pillows? At Disney Resorts? I feel lucky if they make an animal out of a towel or position one of the stuffed animals my son has gotten in a funny way. I always leave very generous tips everyday too for the housekeepers (they will actually show up everyday if you do this, FYI). I guess you could ask for turn down service but I've never seen it at Disney before. Only at Ritz Carltons in other cities.
They did this for CL, not for regular rooms too. I think sometimes you could pay a little extra at some resorts and they would do this. I had a friend get the service at GF, but I seriously don't understand why she would pay extra for a Disney themed chocolate that cost her more per night than driving to Target/Walmart and buying a full bag of the same thing. I haven't gotten the chance to stay CL since reopening, but I used to do it all the time (especially on solo trips since it made my life easier), and I used to come home with a bag full of chocolates. They don't currently do this though from what I understand, and tipping extra big doesn't even help when they don't actually come in your room past the bathroom to do anything. When we stayed at CR last Christmas we had to call them to come and empty our non-bathroom trashcan since they never went in to the actual bedroom part, and yes I left a tip daily (they only came twice over 5 nights). I've stayed in 8 deluxe resorts over 7 trips since reopening, and I do think asking for chocolates isn't going to happen.

OP, as others have said, you'll be lucky if they give you trash+towel service once or twice during your trip.

We just stayed at AKL in a savanna-view room for $680/night (price averaged out and includes taxes)--and that was with a 20% AP discount, but it was still way way more than we've ever paid.

We were urged at check-in to refuse any housekeeping, but, you know, we like housekeeping. So they told us we'd get trash+towels every other day and a full cleaning/service on days 4 and 8. Since day 8 was the day before checkout, I wasn't expecting it to happen, but what I really wasn't expecting was having to call housekeeping and beg them to bring us fresh towels and then plead with them to remove the trash.

So, for our 8-night stay, we got the reluctant trash+towels (and they brought only bath towels, btw) once, a full cleaning once (on day 5) and one more trash+towels, which so shocked us we were thrilled at this very small thing.

In between these events, we discarded our own trash, since the trashcans are quite small, and fortunately I'd brought trash bags with me, since I'd been reading up on this and other DISers were doing it.

We would have expired on the spot if we'd had turn-down service.

You'd kinda think they'd charge less for less service . . . but . . . no. BTW, this price was slightly more than $200 more/night than we'd paid for the exact room category at AKL in 2019. If we hadn't missed a trip during covid, we never would've considered paying so much for this.

OP, as others have said, you'll be lucky if they give you trash+towel service once or twice during your trip.

We just stayed at AKL in a savanna-view room for $680/night (price averaged out and includes taxes)--and that was with a 20% AP discount, but it was still way way more than we've ever paid.

We were urged at check-in to refuse any housekeeping, but, you know, we like housekeeping. So they told us we'd get trash+towels every other day and a full cleaning/service on days 4 and 8. Since day 8 was the day before checkout, I wasn't expecting it to happen, but what I really wasn't expecting was having to call housekeeping and beg them to bring us fresh towels and then plead with them to remove the trash.

So, for our 8-night stay, we got the reluctant trash+towels (and they brought only bath towels, btw) once, a full cleaning once (on day 5) and one more trash+towels, which so shocked us we were thrilled at this very small thing.

In between these events, we discarded our own trash, since the trashcans are quite small, and fortunately I'd brought trash bags with me, since I'd been reading up on this and other DISers were doing it.

We would have expired on the spot if we'd had turn-down service.

You'd kinda think they'd charge less for less service . . . but . . . no. BTW, this price was slightly more than $200 more/night than we'd paid for the exact room category at AKL in 2019. If we hadn't missed a trip during covid, we never would've considered paying so much for this.
My husband and I had to move our cancelled anniversary due to the parks being closed, and after being there for a week after reopening we changed all of our trips after that to split stays to avoid the issue of not having our room cleaned. At Christmas we realized 5 nights was just too long, 4 was ok but 5 just was a bit much so we changed trips after that. The ONLY exception to that was my week long solo trip in August since it was just me, I had a full room of towels just to myself so I didn't worry about it, and two queens beds so I just switched beds midweek. I actually did request no service since they always tend to come when I'm in coming back for a break, and I just dealt with it. It's a pain for families though, and it stinks we had to find work arounds via split stays so things didn't get gross. I do know that CL gets regular cleanings, but they should since their room costs are way more than even the far out prices for regular deluxe rooms (but that's a whole other can of worms I won't open)

For those saying they have never heard of it, we had it as recently as our January 2020 trip right before the world changed. It was only offered at Deluxe hotels and if you DIDN'T stay club level you had to request it.

There is basically no housekeeping at all at the moment. They don't clean your room, make your bed or even take away rubbish properly. There is always rubbish at the ends of corridors and by the lifts because it starts to smell in people's rooms so people drop it by the nearest bin.

We just stayed at Coronado Springs, staying at Club level for 6 nights. Housekeeping came in 4 of the 6 days for a full service, bathroom completely cleaned, beds made, floors washed. They did come in every day and empty the trash and clean the counters. They did an amazing job and it appeared the had the staff to get this done for CL. Not sure about non club level rooms though.

I have heard a lot about the lack of cleaning. I decided we’re doing a split stay in March. New room every 3 days seems like a good way to get a clean room.

My husband and I had to move our cancelled anniversary due to the parks being closed, and after being there for a week after reopening we changed all of our trips after that to split stays to avoid the issue of not having our room cleaned. At Christmas we realized 5 nights was just too long, 4 was ok but 5 just was a bit much so we changed trips after that. The ONLY exception to that was my week long solo trip in August since it was just me, I had a full room of towels just to myself so I didn't worry about it, and two queens beds so I just switched beds midweek. I actually did request no service since they always tend to come when I'm in coming back for a break, and I just dealt with it. It's a pain for families though, and it stinks we had to find work arounds via split stays so things didn't get gross. I do know that CL gets regular cleanings, but they should since their room costs are way more than even the far out prices for regular deluxe rooms (but that's a whole other can of worms I won't open)

I agree with your comments.
I also just completed a stay at BLT 12/26 - 1/1/22 ….
Normally I only stay 4 nights but this trip w/ 1 adult and 2 grandkids …and no room service and no ceiling fans to circulate air …
I seriously thought about “borrowing” the housekeeping vacuum cleaner.
The room was stifling, like sleeping in a gymnasium locker room .
I always take my trash out to the larger trash cans just outside the ground Level entry doors. And I kinda make sure I shake the sheets every morn to freshen them a little because Disney has terrible sheets and mattress pad covers. I can not sleep in a lumpy messed up bed .
The bottom sheet is a flat sheet and not fitted .
I really miss having the bed made daily . I did finally request clean pillowcases . Odd that 2 housekeepers arrived to deliver 4 pillowcases during this supposed shortage.
Anyway be kind to all Disney castmembers…they have been on mandatory 6 day schedules for a long time now and very little time to enjoy the holidays with their family. I am appreciative to them all.
Im not sure but I think Disney is only granting their vacation requests to upper level cast w/ seniority, while they continue the mandatory 6 days…

I agree with your comments.
I also just completed a stay at BLT 12/26 - 1/1/22 ….
Normally I only stay 4 nights but this trip w/ 1 adult and 2 grandkids …and no room service and no ceiling fans to circulate air …
I seriously thought about “borrowing” the housekeeping vacuum cleaner.
The room was stifling, like sleeping in a gymnasium locker room .
I always take my trash out to the larger trash cans just outside the ground Level entry doors. And I kinda make sure I shake the sheets every morn to freshen them a little because Disney has terrible sheets and mattress pad covers. I can not sleep in a lumpy messed up bed .
The bottom sheet is a flat sheet and not fitted .
I really miss having the bed made daily . I did finally request clean pillowcases . Odd that 2 housekeepers arrived to deliver 4 pillowcases during this supposed shortage.
Anyway be kind to all Disney castmembers…they have been on mandatory 6 day schedules for a long time now and very little time to enjoy the holidays with their family. I am appreciative to them all.
Im not sure but I think Disney is only granting their vacation requests to upper level cast w/ seniority, while they continue the mandatory 6 days…
Oh goodness, that bottom flat sheet, my husband makes a mess of that nightly! I end up having to remake the bed every morning, so I turn in to housekeeping. Thankfully every time we had to make a request they were there in minutes, always wonderful and kind. Our youngest DD has to have twice daily eye washes with fresh washcloths, they obviously don't give us enough for that, so my husband went down to the desk to explain the situation and see if we could get a few extra. Someone was at our room with a bag full, seriously like 50 of them, and almost beat him back to the room. It's not their fault Disney has worked this horrible schedule, we just have to do with it what we can (and still leave a nice tip because I'm sure it's a mess trying to do a whole trips worth of cleaning on check out day!)

They did this for CL, not for regular rooms too.

Au contraire! We have been staying deluxe and/or CL since 1993 and turn down service was one that was provided to all rooms in the deluxe category--not exclusively to CL. Once in a while Mousekeeping may have missed the room, but a quick call remedied the oversight.

Sometime back in the late 90s/early 2000s, the service was a given at CL BUT provided upon request at any deluxe. In the mid 2000s the service was no longer available upon request to all deluxe rooms, but still provided at CL.

The turn down wasn't simply about chocolates on the pillows and turning down the bed--they removed/replaced used towels and generally freshened up the room. It was a lovely and special service that made the guest feel like a VIP--our kids loved it and so did we. :lovestruc:love:

Au contraire! We have been staying deluxe and/or CL since 1993 and turn down service was one that was provided to all rooms in the deluxe category--not exclusively to CL. Once in a while Mousekeeping may have missed the room, but a quick call remedied the oversight.

Sometime back in the late 90s/early 2000s, the service was a given at CL BUT provided upon request at any deluxe. In the mid 2000s the service was no longer available upon request to all deluxe rooms, but still provided at CL.

The turn down wasn't simply about chocolates on the pillows and turning down the bed--they removed/replaced used towels and generally freshened up the room. It was a lovely and special service that made the guest feel like a VIP--our kids loved it and so did we. :lovestruc:love:
I know they used to do this, I was speaking about more recently specifically since it would be less likely they would receive it based on more recent experience. Wouldn’t it be nice to go back to the old days, alas, can barely get your trash out now.

but also, I should have written my original sentence differently, probably had a kid on me or something lol.

We have been coming to Disney regularly since 2017 from out of state, several times a year. Since 2018 we only stay at the deluxes and have gotten club level several times and no, I have no idea what you are talking about. Chocolates on pillows? At Disney Resorts? I feel lucky if they make an animal out of a towel or position one of the stuffed animals my son has gotten in a funny way. I always leave very generous tips everyday too for the housekeepers (they will actually show up everyday if you do this, FYI). I guess you could ask for turn down service but I've never seen it at Disney before. Only at Ritz Carltons in other cities.

Staff does - or did- turn down service only on CL, and they came by the room between about 5pm-6:30pm, and I think maybe it was only on weekdays.

If staff saw Do Not Disturb sign on the door, then they would not knock. Perhaps some of the folks posting that their room was not serviced had also happened to be taking an afternoon nap/break at that hour?

IME, the turn down was also not 100% every day at all the hotels. I am pretty sure it was not offered on weekends. And days when there's a high turnover (arrivals/departures) since rooms need more cleaning when guests depart. Turn down is a lower corporate priority than getting rooms ready for new guests, and few customers think to leave a tip for turn down.

I further think that it was maybe not offered at Gran Destino. Gran Destino is classified as a moderate resort.

When staff did come for turndown, they also (sometimes) emptied the trash and/or partly refreshed the towels. Again, staff only works so many hours per day. Getting rooms turned over is essential, turn down is low priority.

I know they used to do this, I was speaking about more recently specifically since it would be less likely they would receive it based on more recent experience. Wouldn’t it be nice to go back to the old days, alas, can barely get your trash out now.

but also, I should have written my original sentence differently, probably had a kid on me or something lol.
We had it as late as Jan 2020. I agree. When you're paying $700 + for a hotel, it does amount to the extra little special touches like that. My kids and grandkids really enjoyed it as well!

Didn't know that was something Disney offered. We stayed at the Contemporary in 2019 and never had any kind of turn-down service. Perhaps it is something you need to request? Not sure I see the point of it either way. Clearly with covid still around, I would prefer LESS not MORE people coming into my hotel room if traveling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter