Are there problems with Mosquitoes?

Jason Reedy

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone, Last year when I was at the Grand Floridian for a conference (in September), we never saw a mosquito. I guess Disney did a great job of spraying? No idea, but it was nice.

Are there issues with mosquitoes at Fort Wilderness?

Thanks!!

Jason

Disney works very hard at mosquito control. In fact, many of us believe the filling in of the old River Country pool in the last few months was part of that program, as a primary effort is to reduce or eliminate bodies of standing water where the little monsters breed. There is also an active program of natural control through plants and animals, and I believe a pesticide based program as well. It is incredibly rare that I have ever come across a mosquito in the parks or on hotel grounds. However, The Fort definitely has more mosquitos than most areas, even if it is a pretty low number for a Florida campground. Like everywhere else, it is worse in the summer. For example, we didn't see a single mosquito our last trip, but it was in December, while the trip before, in September, my family of 5 picked up about 4 bites total over a week. To be fair, one may have been an ant.

Regardless, there isn't a problem per se, but there definitely are mosquitos. Just not very many, especially for FL. Disney has been handing out bug spray at check in to help as well.

I have been at the Fort any number of times during Sept thru Jan and have yet to deal with Mosquitos. Biggest problem in that regard The Truck that is used to spray is a bit loud and comes around early every morning

Never encountered a mosquito problem at the Fort. I mean, I've seen them, but wasn't bothered by them.

Hey everyone, Last year when I was at the Grand Floridian for a conference (in September), we never saw a mosquito. I guess Disney did a great job of spraying? No idea, but it was nice.

Are there issues with mosquitoes at Fort Wilderness?

Thanks!!

Jason

Depends on who you ask! We've never even seen a mosquito at Disney - maybe we just aren't mosquito magnets - :-)

I have been at the Fort any number of times during Sept thru Jan and have yet to deal with Mosquitos. Biggest problem in that regard The Truck that is used to spray is a bit loud and comes around early every morning

Will take this 'any' day not to have mosquitoes!! Having delt with my share in S. LA, would imagine they could be plenty bad without this prevention! Have never seen or heard the truck ourselves, but guess those in tents would.

But, always bring bug spray just in case. We got bit up at the AKL one visit and in Dec 2016 at The Fort we had a few bites.

As others have said. They are rare at the Fort (at least for us). We've been there in August, October and November without issue. We will be going to Disney again this June (but not at the Fort :sad1: ) and I don't anticipate any issues.

We usually bring bug spray, and the last time they also gave us some (because of the uptick in Zika incidents) but we never use it and never had an issue.

October 2015 - I had bites on my legs after sitting outside a few hours one evening. Learned to use spray after that. Then I one day I had bites on my hand, realized they were near the water hose connection, which makes sense - water area. We were in the 2000 loop near water. But mosquitoes have always loved me. DH never got a bite.

A few years ago my wife bought some Mosquito fighting soap at Basin. We use it when we camp south of Dover De on the Delmarva Peninsular It really does help. We also use some DEEP WOODS OFF ans that works as well

I can only imagine how many cans of "Off" that WDW is going through. If they give every Guest (or rather group on the reservation) a "Can" of Off, that's going to add up quickly. I guess in the long run, it's cheaper and more cost effective then losing guests for fear of coming due to Zika or something else. Of course, this is surely not calculated into the resort prices, right??? :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter