• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are there any shops/things in general you WOULDN'T want opening in your town?

How can prison employees afford to buy million dollar homes. I am a bit shocked how low the housing prices are there. Same place in Tiburon would be 10 million not 1 million.

I'm not exactly sure how it works there, but the history seems to be that the community started as a place that only sold (or maybe rented?) to prison employees. I'm thinking kind of how only Disney employees can legally live in Bay Lake or Lake Buena Vista. There might be some sort of enforceable covenants that restricts who can live or purchase real estate there.

I've seen the homes over the years, but the first time I really heard about it was when a notorious inmate (Larry Singleton) was being paroled and every community where they tried to relocate him was up in arms about it after a few days. So he ended up serving the remainder of his parole in a trailer in the San Quentin residential area because nobody else would have him. Eventually he had to be released, moved to Florida, and then murdered a woman.

We have great zoning in my little part of Cobb county. No apartments. No check cashing stores. No marijuana dispensaries. No prisons or jails. And I hope it stays that way. We do have Walmarts, but I never go there.

Our Governor is proposing tax breaks for legal Marijuana Growers. Apparently they can't compete with the lower prices offered by illegal growers. https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article261391172.html
Far from offering tax breaks, legal marijuana here has about a million governmental strings attached for the producers/retailers and is subject to "sin tax" and sales tax for the consumers. As far as anybody can tell, it hasn't curtailed the drug trade any but at the same time, many, many people must be buying from the legal outlets or there wouldn't be so many of them. :confused3

Our Governor is proposing tax breaks for legal Marijuana Growers. Apparently they can't compete with the lower prices offered by illegal growers. https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article261391172.html

Not sure about the illegal indoor grows, but a lot of the cartels can undercut prices by illegally growing on public lands and diverting water. That on top of likely bringing in workers who don't make minimum wage. They're saving money left and right by not being legal and stealing resources that legal growers would otherwise need to pay for.

Never understood why Walmart gets a bad rap. They pay decently, most of their employees are full time with benefits. Since the last Union Contract went into effect at our local chain, pay is only $2 an hour more, employees get benefits if they work at least 20 hours a week, but guess what, NOBODY works more than 19.5 hours per week. The hours and benefits Walmart offer make that a far better place to work. As the clerk we every week put it "I put my son though Medical School working here"
I certainly respect your opinion and feelings for Walmart, please don't take this as an attack on you or your feelings. Not all is bad in the world of Wally World. But I still much prefer to support a local owned business rather than Walmart. I appreciate a helpful and courteous associate who knows their product, which I rarely experience at my local Walmart. I also try my best not to support a business whose inventory is 70-80% made in China. I'm willing to pay a little more for what Walmart does not offer. Kind of why some of us will pay more for a Disney cruise than Carnival Cruises. Again, I respect what you are saying, Over the years there are a lot of things I have agreed with you on. But with this one we will just agree to disagree.

I certainly respect your opinion and feelings for Walmart, please don't take this as an attack on you or your feelings. Not all is bad in the world of Wally World. But I still much prefer to support a local owned business rather than Walmart. I appreciate a helpful and courteous associate who knows their product, which I rarely experience at my local Walmart. I also try my best not to support a business whose inventory is 70-80% made in China. I'm willing to pay a little more for what Walmart does not offer. Kind of why some of us will pay more for a Disney cruise than Carnival Cruises. Again, I respect what you are saying, Over the years there are a lot of things I have agreed with you on. But with this one we will just agree to disagree.
I respect your opinion too. I think some lose sight of the fact that Walmart is a lifeline business for some of it's customers and a lifeline for it's employees.
I do shop every week at our "locally" owned grocery store, the Raley's chain. But at 129 stores, while founded here, is still pretty big business. And to be honest, they don't treat their employees as well as Walmart does here. Raleys drove all the mom and pop grocery stores out of business here long before Walmart was here.

Never understood why Walmart gets a bad rap. They pay decently, most of their employees are full time with benefits. Since the last Union Contract went into effect at our local chain, pay is only $2 an hour more, employees get benefits if they work at least 20 hours a week, but guess what, NOBODY works more than 19.5 hours per week. The hours and benefits Walmart offer make that a far better place to work. As the clerk we every week put it "I put my son though Medical School working here"
Because much of what they sell is garbage. Even the milk I bought there turned bad before the date indicated on the carton. Their stores are trashed

Last edited:
Because much of what they sell is garbage. Even the milk I bought there turned bad before the date indicated on the carton. Their stores are trashed
As I mentioned, my local grocery store chain owns their dairy, and they bottle Walmarts milk here. Walmart just sells it for $1 a gallon less. National brands are the same no matter what store you buy them at. So not sure how it can be garbage. But to be honest, I live Great Value's version of Oreos better than Oreos, and the same with their Corn Flakes.

As I mentioned, my local grocery store chain owns their dairy, and they bottle Walmarts milk here. Walmart just sells it for $1 a gallon less. National brands are the same no matter what store you buy them at. So not sure how it can be garbage. But to be honest, I live Great Value's version of Oreos better than Oreos, and the same with their Corn Flakes.
They may bottle it for both labels but that stuff they send to wal mart? It’s already old. Other stores don’t want it. So they sell to wal mart for less because it’s going bad fast. They don’t just loose money for the sake of it to put it in wal mart.

I never brought up National brands. I specifically said much, not all, they sell is garbage.

If you love wal mart more power to ya.

I despise them and wouldn’t shed a tear if they went out of business. I think they are bad for every community they are located in

Well I am thankful for Amazon. It keeps me out of all stores except my grocery stores. I get all my prescriptions filled at Walmart and they have been amazing to me. My Aldi is my forever love. I live in a big city where I have all major retailers within 2 miles of my home. With gas being so expensive I am very lucky.

Really? Would take that over a walmart LOL- People who visit the dispensary are all well dressed and have money. Most of them are business professionals- never have any issues when I go to the dispensary- can't say the same about a walmart.
Yes, really. I don't feel like the information regarding DUI has caught up with the new laws where I am, and I know I would be nervous about increased traffic accidents. (I also realize those nerves are likely going to prove exaggerated, but the question was about personal feelings - what we are comfortable or not comfortable with.)

They may bottle it for both labels but that stuff they send to wal mart? It’s already old. Other stores don’t want it. So they sell to wal mart for less because it’s going bad fast. They don’t just loose money for the sake of it to put it in wal mart.

I never brought up National brands. I specifically said much, not all, they sell is garbage.

If you love wal mart more power to ya.

I despise them and wouldn’t shed a tear if they went out of business. I think they are bad for every community they are located in
Nope, exact same milk according to the folks at the dairy in the exact same bottle with the exact same expiration date. Just the label is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter