Are there any plastic gift cards left?

AdnTigger710

Earning My Ears
Hey all!

Just grabbed a GC from Walmart for my daughter for Easter and learned this cardboard card was a thing when I started scratching at the end and it just started peeling up, taking paper and numbers with it🤣 I was able to salvage it but I got this for her to use in the parks continuously, every trip. A cardboard card isn't going to hold up to that.

I had recently bought a Disney Minnie gift card right from the Disney store online but it wasn't going to get here in time (hence the Walmart GC purchase today). Will the Minnie GC from Disney be cardboard too? Is there any way to get plastic gift cards anymore? Any useful alternatives? Like I said, I was hoping she would be able to use this GC for many trips, but cardboard won't work for that.

Would love to hear other suggestions in lieu of gift cards as well! Thanks everyone!

Hey all!

Just grabbed a GC from Walmart for my daughter for Easter and learned this cardboard card was a thing when I started scratching at the end and it just started peeling up, taking paper and numbers with it🤣 I was able to salvage it but I got this for her to use in the parks continuously, every trip. A cardboard card isn't going to hold up to that.

I had recently bought a Disney Minnie gift card right from the Disney store online but it wasn't going to get here in time (hence the Walmart GC purchase today). Will the Minnie GC from Disney be cardboard too? Is there any way to get plastic gift cards anymore? Any useful alternatives? Like I said, I was hoping she would be able to use this GC for many trips, but cardboard won't work for that.

Would love to hear other suggestions in lieu of gift cards as well! Thanks everyone!
This is a frustrating trend that we have been experiencing also. Beyond the "cardboard" GCs, a lot of our year-end purchases came with e-card only, OR you can print them on paper. This is especially true with Outback, Landry's, Earl of Sandwich (all of which we frequent when in WDW). I still have a few bucks left on an Earl of Sandwich gift card, and the paper copy is fading and wearing out in my travel wallet. Outback is a little safer, in that you can add the GC numbers in your apple wallet, BUT you still have to transcribe the entire 19 digit number and 4 digit PIN, when using it. Why can't their systems just scan the barcodes ????
Do you think they maybe are banking on a certain percentage of folks losing or mutilating the paper, and that's just added profit for them ??? (IKR-Conspiracy) :earboy2:

Do you think they maybe are banking on a certain percentage of folks losing or mutilating the paper, and that's just added profit for them ??? (IKR-Conspiracy)
Don't e-card get emailed to you? How do you loose that?

It's more about cost cutting then some consparicy theory. I would much rather get an e-card then a physical card.

It's more about cost cutting then some consparicy theory. I would much rather get an e-card then a physical card.
Same here! I usually just transfer them into a few of my plastic cards.

The Landry's & EOS are e-mailed, via a link that opens up the GC for printing. There is no option to store these electronically, like there is with the ones from Outback. If you lose the paper, and delete or lose track of the original email, then you are SOL. Ironically, they also have barcodes included, but neither Landry's nor EOS can scan them; they have to enter the numbers manually. Outback cannot scan theirs electronically either, which is mystifying to me, in 2024!! So, given the technology that is available to solve this issue, why would these restaurants continue to use archaic practices with their gift cards???

ETA:
ChickFilA & McDonalds seem to have the best system.
I simply load the gift card info. into their Apps, and it scans at the registers/kiosks without issues.

Last edited:
I really hate the cardboard gift cards but sometimes those are the only $100 cards available. I made the mistake the first time of not being careful when doing the scratch off. A few of the numbers were ripped off. I always combine cards in my Disney gift card account. So I took a few guesses and was able to load the card in my account and then transfer the balance to one of my plastic gift cards. Now I take that strip off very carefully. :)

I've kept several of my plastic cards just to transfer the balances of the cardboard ones. I dislike the cardboards ones as well. But I can totally see why they went to cardboard ones. The number of posts I've seen on FB showing all the plastic cards they bought to pay for their cruise, DVC dues, etc. :oops: That's a ton of plastic that doesn't get recycled. It just gets thrown away. At least the cardboard ones should disintegrate over time.

@E2ME2 I love your resort.. screenshots? Not quite a ticker, but I do not know what to call them. Where did you get them from? I tried clicking on a couple to see if it would bring me to a website but they didnt.

@E2ME2 I love your resort.. screenshots? Not quite a ticker, but I do not know what to call them. Where did you get them from? I tried clicking on a couple to see if it would bring me to a website but they didnt.
Thanks! I got them from a fellow disboarder😀
Let me go back and find that message and the link for those……
& I’ll message them to you.

The Landry's & EOS are e-mailed, via a link that opens up the GC for printing. There is no option to store these electronically, like there is with the ones from Outback. If you lose the paper, and delete or lose track of the original email, then you are SOL. Ironically, they also have barcodes included, but neither Landry's nor EOS can scan them; they have to enter the numbers manually. Outback cannot scan theirs electronically either, which is mystifying to me, in 2024!! So, given the technology that is available to solve this issue, why would these restaurants continue to use archaic practices with their gift cards???

ETA:
ChickFilA & McDonalds seem to have the best system.
I simply load the gift card info. into their Apps, and it scans at the registers/kiosks without issues.

I'd open the gc on your phone and take a screen shot of it. I've done it before with target gc I didn't want to load into the app, scans and shows the needed numbers. You can always use it as backup or a paper copy as the back up. Probably depends on where you are using it and if they need to take it away for payment, I wouldn't give them my phone but counter service would be ok.

Plastic ones are still sold. They won’t be in the containers that are fully enclosed, you’ll be able to feel the actual card so you’ll know. I’ve seen them at my local grocery stores, drugstores & office supplies stores in the last few weeks.

1711822702568.png
I can't remember exactly how I set these up; it's been a while :D But I tried to send one along to see if you can grab it and add it to your signature line....... ( I believe they are called "tickers" or "banners" )
Let me know if it works.
Others might be able to guide you through the process...

I am here at WDW and they have plastic gift cards for sale. I would buy one of those for a small amount, and transfer the funds from the cardboard GC to the plastic GC on https://www.disneygiftcard.com/
Thanks for the suggestion! I saw some cards that I'd not seen before (like "Frozen"). Didn't know how to buy it. So are you saying that I could buy it with as little as $5 or $10, then just transfer money from another of my gift cards?

Thanks for the suggestion! I saw some cards that I'd not seen before (like "Frozen"). Didn't know how to buy it. So are you saying that I could buy it with as little as $5 or $10, then just transfer money from another of my gift cards?
NO FROZEN!!

The Frozen gift cards are compromised. We’ve had many reports over the years. Mickey on a red background or Mickey and friends on the roller coaster in like a purple background are fine but something is wrong with those Frozen ones.

NO FROZEN!!

The Frozen gift cards are compromised. We’ve had many reports over the years. Mickey on a red background or Mickey and friends on the roller coaster in like a purple background are fine but something is wrong with those Frozen ones.
Thanks for the warning! Guess I was lucky not to buy them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter