Are there any good reasons to upgrade to any annual pass?

Amy M

DIS Veteran
We have been traveling to WDW for the past 5 years. We typically stay for at least one week and stay in a moderate or deluxe resort. As far as tickets go, we typically purchase the base ticket, unless we have to buy the hopper as part of a promotion. I have been lucky enough to take advantage of a few free dining bounce back offers, and one room discount bounce back. I am looking ahead to next summer’s trip and trying to decide if there are any advantages left for maybe upgrading to APs when we arrive next summer. Here is the math I have done at this point: current AP price for 4 (out of state) $4,766.96; 5 day park hopper for next summer for 4 $2,221.68. The difference is $2,545.28 to upgrade to an AP (however I am sure that price difference will be more by the time next summer rolls around). So it is $323.60 more to upgrade to APs over just buying park hoppers for 2 trips (2020 and 2021). I am curious if the AP discounts will be more than $323.60? If there is a chance of saving more, I am going to push my 2020 trip later in July to allow us to use them again earlier in July 2021.

Since we are from Ohio, we would probably only use the APs for these 2 trips, with a slight possibility of using them around thanksgiving since my MIL lives an hour from WDW and we have been visiting her at Thanksgiving the past couple of years.

Anyway, I am just looking for some insight from people that have APs and know the real discounts that they can carry.

Thanks in advance!!!

I know a lot of people that buy the Annual Pass for one person in the family to take advantage of the dining & shopping discounts, and then just buy regular tickets for everyone else for all of the trips.

Have you priced out that option?

I know a lot of people that buy the Annual Pass for one person in the family to take advantage of the dining & shopping discounts, and then just buy regular tickets for everyone else for all of the trips.

Not yet. I’ll take a look at that next.

It also depends on if you buy memory maker (free with AP), how much TS dining you do and merchandise you buy.

You're absoultely allowed to purchase FL Resident tickets for grandkids. My family does it every year and we are completely open and transparent about what we are doing at the ticket window. The CM smiles, every year and says, absolutely! Now if the grandkids are 25, that may be an issue (is an issue)!!!! I think my AP's are a waste (Besides my little band that I love displaying) because I have family that works at WDW and gets 35% off shopping and 40% during the holiday's. We also get the friends and family room for 40% off (Typically) so we don't use the discounts much. I think without those family perks the discounts really add up.

If we are planning more than one trip in a 12 month period we upgrade. Love having the free memory maker, 20% merchandise discount (that adds up FAST!!), 10% off a lot of restaurants (we don't typically buy the dining plan) and if there is an AP rate that works we use that as well. We fly from Indiana for every trip and always feel we get our Money's worth for the upgrade.

$323 is a lot to make up in discounts, keeping in mind that one of the biggest expenses (restaurants) only offer AP discounts at some of the restaurants.

There are other possible savings, though, and perks. Do you want to stay longer than 5 days per trip? Would you like to hop into a park on arrival night for a ride or two and fireworks without burning a whole day? Then maybe an AP is right for you. If your only reason to get an AP is to save money, it may not be the best choice.

A word of caution: Be careful about choosing an AP to save money. We have a “friend” who has been known to add extra hotel nights to each trip, and to even take a last minute long-weekend trip between major trips because it is so much easier with an AP. You have been warned.

If you purchase Memory Maker each trip-even in advance-then you have saved over your $323 right there. We were considering upgrading to the AP for me and DH on our upcoming trip, but then they boosted the price so much that it made it less appealing to us.

I agree with @Dr.Mickey -I can certainly see that AP as a way to justify last minute and long weekend trips...

$323 is a lot to make up in discounts, keeping in mind that one of the biggest expenses (restaurants) only offer AP discounts at some of the restaurants.

There are other possible savings, though, and perks. Do you want to stay longer than 5 days per trip? Would you like to hop into a park on arrival night for a ride or two and fireworks without burning a whole day? Then maybe an AP is right for you. If your only reason to get an AP is to save money, it may not be the best choice.

A word of caution: Be careful about choosing an AP to save money. We have a “friend” who has been known to add extra hotel nights to each trip, and to even take a last minute long-weekend trip between major trips because it is so much easier with an AP. You have been warned.
Totally! We got APs because we needed 8-day tickets for our Spring Break trip and were planning to return once SWGE opened. Guess what? In addition to those 2 trips, we have added 3 additional trips. And we’re thinking about a 4th. That would make 6 trips in one year. All but one, we have flown/will fly. And we usually eat TS and lounges because, why not, we purchased the TiW card. LOL, all the “saving” can really add up.

Yep! My dad is now a FL resident and he is buying the grandkids tickets for our upcoming trip. It's a nice savings!
So if a grandparent buys the APs, does the grandparent physically have to be there, or can they call and order them? My wheels are turning on this idea...lol!

This is my fear as well...lol!

So if a grandparent buys the APs, does the grandparent physically have to be there, or can they call and order them? My wheels are turning on this idea...lol!
So you know how you call three different CMs and get three different answers???? So this seems to be the case with this. In the past, the FL resident had to be with you on the first day of activation to prove residency. But now there is a new online Florida resident verification system when you purchase tickets. This allows Florida residents to skip Guest Relations and head right to the ticket turnstiles as long as the tickets are linked to magic bands or cards. It's a little trickier when the grandparent purchases it for their grandkid. I was told that my dad would not need to be there as long as we were all connected on MDE. Two CMs confirmed with me that this is true, but other long time Disney vets are skeptical. We will try it for our trip in November and worse comes to worse is that we will have to pay the difference. I hope that makes sense!

So you know how you call three different CMs and get three different answers???? So this seems to be the case with this. In the past, the FL resident had to be with you on the first day of activation to prove residency. But now there is a new online Florida resident verification system when you purchase tickets. This allows Florida residents to skip Guest Relations and head right to the ticket turnstiles as long as the tickets are linked to magic bands or cards. It's a little trickier when the grandparent purchases it for their grandkid. I was told that my dad would not need to be there as long as we were all connected on MDE. Two CMs confirmed with me that this is true, but other long time Disney vets are skeptical. We will try it for our trip in November and worse comes to worse is that we will have to pay the difference. I hope that makes sense!
Makes sense to me! Thanks for sharing!!!

We did that, sort of, we both had APs, but I let my lapse and she renewed hers. The math worked out quite well for us.

Don't forget to factor in $169 for your group saved for MemoryMaker if you were going to get it.
Matt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter