Are tattoos allowed in Tokyo Disneyland?

Kawilliams08

Earning My Ears
I have a question for all who are Japanese, have lived in Japan, or have visited Tokyo Disneyland or Disney Sea. My husband and I are wanting to go to Tokyo Disneyland for the first time, but my husband has a sleeve and a half of tattoos (They are all Star Wars and Disney related). How big of an issue will this be in Japan? What about Tokyo Disneyland? Disney Sea? We have read one report that said the Disney rules in Japanese say no visible tattoos are allowed at all. We are also planning our trip in July, so covering the tattoos will be much harder and very uncomfortable. Any insider info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the reply! I guess there's no easy answer to this question as people have experienced both sides. Some say they've been allowed in with tattoos with no issue, while others say they were told to wear a sweatshirt all day. This would all be a lot easier Tokyo Disney could just easily be called!

You may already be aware of this, but I'll mention it anyway.

If you look at camping catalogs/websites there are many long sleeved, light weight shirts available. I think most people use them instead of sunscreen and to keep bugs off. I think that would be much more comfortable than a sweatshirt in the summer.

Have a great trip! :)

I am Japanese and yes, to be on the safe side, I would plan for it to be a problem and not just at Disneyland. Very few people will assume you are yazuka/dangerous, but there is a deep-seeded cultural bias against large tattoos, especially sleeve/full-body tattoos. A butterfly on the ankle, a tiger on the bicep, not that big of a deal. But a sleeve will definitely draw undesired reactions. I know that others have gone to Japan with tattoos and have had few problems, but I cannot emphasize this enough - a full sleeve is judged very differently than a large tattoo.

Be prepared to be turned away from some businesses if you show your tattoo - spas (even high end ones catering to tourists), onsens, ryokans (even in Tokyo), even stores/restaurants in very rural areas, and all pools.

For the record, I am not anti-tattoo so I don't want to sound harsh. I've got a medium sized one on my back that I can easily hide when I'm in Japan.

And the good news is that if you cover it up, you'll be ok. I would suggest long-sleeve moisture-wicking shirts. Depending on what part of June you're there, the weather is pleasant and I would usually still be wearing light sweaters at that time of the year. It's August that REALLY sucks.

The other good news is that people in Japan are VERY polite. They'll do their best to ignore your tattoo as long as you make an effort to hide it. You'll gain a lot of "face" by doing your best to try and respect the culture.

I am Japanese and yes, to be on the safe side, I would plan for it to be a problem and not just at Disneyland. Very few people will assume you are yazuka/dangerous, but there is a deep-seeded cultural bias against large tattoos, especially sleeve/full-body tattoos. A butterfly on the ankle, a tiger on the bicep, not that big of a deal. But a sleeve will definitely draw undesired reactions. I know that others have gone to Japan with tattoos and have had few problems, but I cannot emphasize this enough - a full sleeve is judged very differently than a large tattoo.

Be prepared to be turned away from some businesses if you show your tattoo - spas (even high end ones catering to tourists), onsens, ryokans (even in Tokyo), even stores/restaurants in very rural areas, and all pools.

For the record, I am not anti-tattoo so I don't want to sound harsh. I've got a medium sized one on my back that I can easily hide when I'm in Japan.

And the good news is that if you cover it up, you'll be ok. I would suggest long-sleeve moisture-wicking shirts. Depending on what part of June you're there, the weather is pleasant and I would usually still be wearing light sweaters at that time of the year. It's August that REALLY sucks.

The other good news is that people in Japan are VERY polite. They'll do their best to ignore your tattoo as long as you make an effort to hide it. You'll gain a lot of "face" by doing your best to try and respect the culture.

Very good answer to the posters question. You most certainly will not be allowed into the pools if you stay at the Disney hotels as there is a fee associated even as a guest. Why bother? just cover them up. The Japanese are the most polite people and the service you will experience will blow your mind.
Just came back last week. Still thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFx6gvqfys

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter