• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are some cruises intentionally under booked due to Covid?

ljm23

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering if some of the still available cruises starting in August might have been deliberately under sold in the expectation that they would not be able to sail at full capacity once things opened up. Anyone know?

That's something I've wondered. If they restart at say 50% capacity, what will they do if the sailings are more than 50% booked?

I've been wondering the same thing. We are booked on the Fantasy 9/25 and it's showing concierge 100% booked. I know a lot of folks on my cruise have been changing dates or cancelling. Maybe they are just not putting them back as available when they go down. (Or maybe they are thinking they won't sail until the ship can be full?)

I don’t know about Disney, but Carnival told me they were pulling the Mardi gras in August, sept and oct to limit capacity. I think during the first few months capacity has to be limited.
Of course that could have just been sales men tactic to persuade me to hurry up and book.

I’ve wondered this, too. Rooms on my November sailing seemed to book up fast.
I wanted to cruise in November, but there was limited availability on Disney and Carnival. I booked the Mardi Gras in January. Carnival let me use my expired 25% discount. This is by far the cheapest cruise I've ever booked.

I admin a group for the WBPC 2022 cruise departing in March of 2022, on our Who's Going List we are occupying over 32% of the entire ship in just our group alone, or 280+ staterooms with just over 680 guests in those rooms. So it's hard to say but if they're limiting in 2022 the bookings our group alone is going to be the majority of the ship's guests. Maybe by then they're expecting to be back to 100% capacity. Let's hope.

I wanted to cruise in November, but there was limited availability on Disney and Carnival. I booked the Mardi Gras in January. Carnival let me use my expired 25% discount. This is by far the cheapest cruise I've ever booked.

We are booked on Mardi Gras in January and I hope the capacity will be a little bit reduced still. Would love to be able to benefit from a quiet ship.

I admin a group for the WBPC 2022 cruise departing in March of 2022, on our Who's Going List we are occupying over 32% of the entire ship in just our group alone, or 280+ staterooms with just over 680 guests in those rooms. So it's hard to say but if they're limiting in 2022 the bookings our group alone is going to be the majority of the ship's guests. Maybe by then they're expecting to be back to 100% capacity. Let's hope.

Yea, my guess would be that they are expecting full or near full capacity by March 22. But I do think it’s likely that cruises for this fall/winter are being intentionally under booked. I think we’re sailing by September- but I’ll be very surprised if it’s at more than 50% to start.

I've been wondering the same thing. We are booked on the Fantasy 9/25 and it's showing concierge 100% booked. I know a lot of folks on my cruise have been changing dates or cancelling. Maybe they are just not putting them back as available when they go down. (Or maybe they are thinking they won't sail until the ship can be full?)
We're on 9/25 too and wondering the same thing. Always hoping for a port upgrade!

We're on 9/25 too and wondering the same thing. Always hoping for a port upgrade!

My suspicion is that they will not have upgrades to start since they are likely spreading cabin capacity about the ship. But we can always hope!

Yea, my guess would be that they are expecting full or near full capacity by March 22. But I do think it’s likely that cruises for this fall/winter are being intentionally under booked. I think we’re sailing by September- but I’ll be very surprised if it’s at more than 50% to start.
My suspicion is that they will not have upgrades to start since they are likely spreading cabin capacity about the ship. But we can always hope!
Yeah I agree, We have a 4A right now and that will be more than fine. Hope we get to meet you there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter